Mercedes Beats Tesla to Level 3 (Legal) Autonomous Driving

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
What I want to know is, does self driving swerve around the hundreds of pot holes like I have to do manually every day - or would it just keep detouring to the nearest Kwik Fit ??

The fundamental problem with autonomy is that for it to be safe all vehicles on the road must be made to communicate with each other. Where does that leave the citizens free choice to drive for example a pagoda SL, 190d or any unconnected vehicle.
Would other road users, including pedestrians and cyclists, be required to be connected for this 'collective intelligence' to function with a satisfactory degree of safety?
It seems to me vehicle autonomy is seeking to solve a 'problem' (for profit) which does not exist. I for example have never crashed a car. Where is the need for autonomy?
I don't think this is necessarily true. This is a requirement for centralised control, not autonomy.
Decentralised control gives autonomy without the need for everything to communicate. An autonomous car operates under its own set of rules, and if other vehicles operate under the same or similar set of rules, then local decision making is very accurate.

Centralised controls only works when everything on the transport network is known about and can therefore be controlled directly. such as railways.
So this cannot be the sole form of control on the road network due to the existence of objects that do not have communication, and so no-one is suggesting it as a credible option.

Autonomous systems have the potential to be very safe, certainly safer than having erratic humans in complete control. This is good thing in dense traffic situations.

I also have never crashed a car, but I have had a one crash into me, which was entirely caused by the other drivers human error. He wasn't speeding or doing anything that he thought was out of the ordinary, and it was a much a shock to him as me. Sadly though he was tired after a long flight and just made an error of judgement he wouldn't normally have made. An autonomous system in his car would have not allowed it to happen.

So THERE is the need for autonomy - roll it on I say. I don't want any more random people crashing into me. And I'll take any safety kit going. I know air bags, antilock brakes and crumple zones work.

From what I can see, self driving cars have been around since the 60's.. Only the sensors and computing power have improved in our modern vehicles.

But we are still Decades or more of this ever becoming a reality on our roads. Lets be honest we were all promised robotic helpers around the house.. but as yet we haven't got them either (well not strictly true, we do have robotic vacuum cleaners LOL)

Or maybe one day will will all wake up from the matrix..

From what I can see, self driving cars have been around since the 60's.. Only the sensors and computing power have improved in our modern vehicles.

But we are still Decades or more of this ever becoming a reality on our roads. Lets be honest we were all promised robotic helpers around the house.. but as yet we haven't got them either (well not strictly true, we do have robotic vacuum cleaners LOL)

Or maybe one day will will all wake up from the matrix..
Decades from what, autonomous cars? Now that there has been approval then I believe that it will happen quite quickly.

Robots imitating human form haven’t really happened, but I’m not sure that they were ever promised - we’ll not to me anyway.

Robots are everywhere, and not just in factories, and not just in physical form, they’re doing things without you knowing.

Artificial Intelligence does all sorts these days, fulfilling orders, routing deliveries, performing repetitive tasks, etc.

At home vacuum cleaners are perhaps the most common, but my house is filled with “things” that do “things” so I don’t have to.

I don't have to think about it, they work it out for themselves or follow rules which I defined once and followed many times.

Love George Jetson x

my house is filled with “things” that do “things” so I don’t have to.

I don't have to think about it, they work it out for themselves or follow rules which I defined once and followed many times.

Love George Jetson x
What things have you got doing which things that you don't have to think about that have filled up your house ?

Obviously can't sleep at the moment.....

What things have you got doing which things that you don't have to think about that have filled up your house ?

Obviously can't sleep at the moment.....
As well as robot vacuums we have a robot lawn mower and robot mop. Some of them follow a schedule, and some spring into life when we’re out of the house.

We have sensors which work out where we are in the house, and things like light levels and temperatures, and then triggers different actions and sequences.

This controls the lighting, power sockets, heating/cooling, security systems, security cameras, blinds, etc. Some of those things react, and some learn/predict our patterns.

Years ago this type of thing was difficult and expensive but there are lots of DIY and inexpensive home automation options for most these things now.

Whilst they’re not robots with arms and pretend faces like Tomorrows World might have suggested, they do many of the things that those would have done and more.

Rather than have one complicated robot which does many things, we have many small, simple and specific “devices” which together can do much more.

As well as robot vacuums we have a robot lawn mower and robot mop. Some of them follow a schedule, and some spring into life when we’re out of the house.

We have sensors which work out where we are in the house, and things like light levels and temperatures, and then triggers different actions and sequences.

This controls the lighting, power sockets, heating/cooling, security systems, security cameras, blinds, etc. Some of those things react, and some learn/predict our patterns.

Years ago this type of thing was difficult and expensive but there are lots of DIY and inexpensive home automation options for most these things now.

Whilst they’re not robots with arms and pretend faces like Tomorrows World might have suggested, they do many of the things that those would have done and more.

Rather than have one complicated robot which does many things, we have many small, simple and specific “devices” which together can do much more.
Is this something you built yourself - interested in automation.

I built a solar controller that switches devices on/off wirelessly if there is enough free energy from my panels - nothing goes to waste and I never pay if I don't need to - i'm talking 5kw of pumps and heaters.
It has 2 maps built in, summer / winter as I have different requirements depending on the time of year - actually there are 3 ;)

Is this something you built yourself - interested in automation.

I built a solar controller that switches devices on/off wirelessly if there is enough free energy from my panels - nothing goes to waste and I never pay if I don't need to - i'm talking 5kw of pumps and heaters.
It has 2 maps built in, summer / winter as I have different requirements depending on the time of year - actually there are 3 ;)
Mix of professionally installed and some just little old me. To be fair equivalent technology is now DIY-able these days. The difficult bit is getting systems to talk together but there are ways of doing that is some/many mainstream cases.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom