Mercedes benz amg hammer 5.0 (1985)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I thought Mr Avantgarde was keeping this for himself... its a fantastic car..

Would you not consider this as opposed to the E60?

+1

and on top of a genuine Hammer would be a definite upgrade compared to an E60...

Is Talbir's the other car of the two? He paid circa £10K at auction for his 560E but it needed tidying up. (He had a huge result).

Yes,Talbirs is the second one.Yes he only got it cheap,simply because of his knowledge and he knew what he was buying

Same as his Brabus-Lorinser W140 ;)

The Hammer was cheap at the £3,000 it sold for a few years ago. At £40,000 it seems a bit steep...

The Hammer is of course much rarer than the E60 AMG.

The one to have is the 5.6 or the 6.0 quad cam... only ever seen those in the states.

Talbir's is fantastic, he has done a full resto on it.. thats an investment and half for his kids.

This one will never sell at this price unfortunately... nice to look at though.

These are not really meant to be driven now, they are museum pieces... Parts are NLA for these engines..
Even the rocker cover gaskets (which leak commonly) cost over £2K each and thats if anyone will sell them to you - last time I checked only one guy in the states had stock of them - and his customer service leaves a bit to be desired...

Last edited:
Surely any part for any engine can be made if you need it ( and have deep enough pockets ) ?

Which lets face it, if you are in the market for a hammer , you will have !

I'm sure HWA would make them for you .

Getting gaskets made up is easy and cheap and it's unlikely many of the parts are actually fully bespoke, more likely available from an engine parts supplier.

Yes,Talbirs is the second one.Yes he only got it cheap,simply because of his knowledge and he knew what he was buying

He did have get Neville to agree not to bid against him though..:D

The only person I know with a bigger collection of silly cars than Talbir!

360hp. 5s to 60mph What's not to like. A proper period AMG monster that was the fastest sedan for years and father of super-saloons. I tried to copy hammer looks with my c124.

Thats fast! I bet it struggles to put all that power down with such relatively spindly rubber, remember my e320 spinning quite freely, must be good fun.

I love 124s and certainly appreciate the car, I rather like the E36 AMG estate if I had to name my favourite 124.

Thats fast! I bet it struggles to put all that power down with such relatively spindly rubber, remember my e320 spinning quite freely, must be good fun.

The locking diff helps a lot.

He did have get Neville to agree not to bid against him though..:D

The only person I know with a bigger collection of silly cars than Talbir!

Not at all - Neville was with me at the auction and all i said to him was that i am going for it big time. No other conversation took place.

Yes, his is bigger than mine....he's got 30 something cars, mine's far more sensible at 23.

:)

The 5.0 Gen I DOHC M117 in the car for sale above is officially rated at 340bhp not 360bhp.

The 5.6 Gen II DOHC M117 is officially rated at 360bhp.

My 560E DOHC car has two major additional pieces of history : the AMG affalterbach chassis number plate on the slam panel and two big names on the previous owners list : Jeff Lynne of ELO and George Harrison of the Beatles. It's also 040 black and mega fast....will run circles around my 500Es. As a drive, it's like an M5, awesome machine and very tight.

talbir

: the AMG affalterbach chassis number plate on the slam panel and two big names on the previous owners list : Jeff Lynne of ELO and George Harrison of the Beatles.

Way off topic but those two collaborated on a lot of work, it probably changed hands over a session in the studio. Interesting history.

Not at all - Neville was with me at the auction and all i said to him was that i am going for it big time. No other conversation took place.

Yes, his is bigger than mine....he's got 30 something cars, mine's far more sensible at 23.

:)

The 5.0 Gen I DOHC M117 in the car for sale above is officially rated at 340bhp not 360bhp.

The 5.6 Gen II DOHC M117 is officially rated at 360bhp.

My 560E DOHC car has two major additional pieces of history : the AMG affalterbach chassis number plate on the slam panel and two big names on the previous owners list : Jeff Lynne of ELO and George Harrison of the Beatles. It's also 040 black and mega fast....will run circles around my 500Es. As a drive, it's like an M5, awesome machine and very tight.

talbir

So, how much is this other Hammer worth in reality?

The Hammer on pistonheads - i'd say worth 35k GBP any day of the week.

It's the only RHD Gen I DOHC M117 engined w124 originally done by Strattons/AMG. Provenance is the key to it's high value.

And Vlad put it back an outstanding original condition, It may now have a few minor variances from it's original form but fundamentals are as per original.

An outstanding car, one can experience a stock 300E, a 500E, an E60....when one experiences these 'Hammer' w124s (of which there were only 13 in the world) one realises what a unique driving experience they give to the owner.

talbir

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom