Mercedes-Benz C250 Turbodiesel Manual Estate Wanted

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I have... but they are all Autos and do seem to have more of a rust problem than the C250's, plus I'm not as keen on the styling- C250 looks a lot nicer IMO.
I'd like one but the big problem with an E300 is the insurance... The C250 TD is group 13, and while I have nearly 4 years NCB I am still 21 at the end of the day! I can put up with the insurance on a C250TD... the best quote I've had was about £600 but I'm still looking. It seems to jump up quite a bit with the 188bhp E300TD!
Thanks for the thought though guys :)

I have... but they are all Autos and do seem to have more of a rust problem than the C250's, plus I'm not as keen on the styling- C250 looks a lot nicer IMO.
I'd like one but the big problem with an E300 is the insurance... The C250 TD is group 13, and while I have nearly 4 years NCB I am still 21 at the end of the day! I can put up with the insurance on a C250TD... the best quote I've had was about £600 but I'm still looking. It seems to jump up quite a bit with the 188bhp E300TD!
Thanks for the thought though guys :)

150 & 27 MADE 177 WHEN I WAS AT SCHOOL! NOT 188:eek:

LOL... its been 5 years since I was in school! Even if it is only another 27bhp... it's a much bigger car and a few insurance groups higher :(

I've found a couple to be looking at... there is a Manual Sport estate in light metallic blue on Egay in Gloucester.
Seems pretty sound, with a fair amount of service history, though bizarrely it has had some welding done in the front floor pan :s
Have you ever heard of a C250TD floor pan rotting?
I know the ends of the sills and wheel arches try to rot in bad cases... but the floors?!
The body is not bad on it with minimal corrosion on the wheel arches. It's an ideal car apart from the fact it needed some welding doing...

1998 MERCEDES C250 SPORT BLUE DIESEL ESTATE No RESERVE on eBay (end time 09-Jun-10 10:58:20 BST)

Heya... yes I am. Have you got some pictures? What color, spec, mileage and transmission is it?

cheers

I fear I can't due to not having made enough posts...can't see the option on your profile to message you.
Just take my user name and put '@hotmail.co.uk' on the end!
All lower case, no punctuation etc...
Cheers

Anyone heard of anything?

"I then spoke to a very helpful bloke I know of in London who's into his C250's who said he may be able to take a look at it if he's passing".

Who was that then?
What a splendid chap!
:thumb:

Evening Andy!

Well... almost bought this one:

MERCEDES C250 ESTATE TD SILVER on eBay (end time 30-Jul-10 18:52:06 BST)

We ended up mutually cancelling the transaction as the seller couldn't find anything to replace it with, and it didn't ring entirely true for me... I may have been wrong though.
It had a bit too much rust for £2000 and didn't start well enough (even though the battery was good along with it having had new glow plugs and there being no air bubbles in the fuel pipes).... so I let him keep it. Though if he finds something to replace it with he'll give me first refusal on it in a few weeks time.
Also, when the engine was on idle with the oil filler cap removed, there was a blue haze coming out which could be seen as high as a foot above the engine.
Is this normal for one of these engines when it's fairly cold or did I make the right decision walking away from the car?
That, plus it needing a fair time on the glow plugs and then not firing up immediately made me think it was a bit down on compression.
When I test drove it it didn't seem that quick either, felt like it was lugging a lot of weight. It didn't feel as quick off the mark as my Peugeot 405 TD, and it has a good few more BHP per ton.

Only other thing I noticed was a quiet whine which wasn't the engine (didn't happen when stationary in neutral) and was only noticeable in 1st and 2nd gears. Seemed a little louder when using engine braking.
Anyhow, that slight whine and it not starting up right away, feeling a bit sluggish plus the numerous touched up rusty areas put me off.
I'd think I'd buy Iain's car off him if only he'd let me buy it ;)

Well, looks like this thread might be redundent in a couple of weeks thanks to the member a11r! Splendid chap indeed:thumb:
He came on holiday to Pembrokeshire in the summer and I drove over to the camp site and supplied him with a couple of tubs of filtered WVO and in exchange got to drive his C250 TD Sport estate for about 35 miles:)

Anyhow, he bought an 'as mint as they come' E300 TD estate a week or two ago (due to wanting a bigger car and not having time to finish the C's paintwork repairs) so I've put a deposit on his C250.
155k miles, azurite blue and sport spec, all good mechanically (apart from a rattley aux belt damper- part supplied!) and solid bodily, though showing the odd patch of grey primer. Full Merc history up to 130k, then owner maintained. Recent new glow plugs (and also M.B billed the previous owner for £970 to remove the head to sort out a sheared glow plug in 2005) and O-rings on the fuel system. Oil changes every 5k miles and a recent auto-box service (fluid and filter).
Arranged a side deal of 200ltrs of super clean WVO and a full tank of bio, plus various parts including some front wings in the right colour.
Fingers crossed all goes well with his new E300 and I'll finally have the 'ideal' car!
Thanks to all who have offered advice.

P.s... it is an auto too! After driving one manual and three autos I decided the autos were quicker and more fun to drive (changing gear in a manual C250 is a bit like changing gear in van- massive clutch travel and awkward change), and probably no less reliable given the manual cars have a dual mass flywheel which costs £350.

I'll be sorry to see the old girl go...sniff, sniff.
Her replacement's 'big boned' and no looker in comparison.

I'll be sorry to see the old girl go...sniff, sniff.
Her replacement's 'big boned' and no looker in comparison.

But I think, I nicer drive :thumb:.

But I think, I nicer drive :thumb:.

Keep it up AAndy- We don't want him changing his mind!
I've never been in an E class... barely seen one in the flesh. Very few Mercs in my neck of the woods as there isn't really a dealer in the area. It's all BMW. The E should be a cut above the C-class in terms of luxiousness though eh.

I'm now the proud new owner of a11r's C250 :)
Car has a few niggles, but was the best car I could have bought for the money and for what I want, so I'm chuffed. End of thread I guess, thanks to all who contributed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom