Mercedes-Benz C350e plug-in hybrid hardware issues (charging, battery, etc)

My Mercedes-Benz C350e

• Charged in the rain; temporary, self-rectifying issue

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Not charged in the rain; temporary, self-rectifying issue

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kingofthehill

Car
MB
As has been discussed in the 'C350e anyone considering one?' thread, some C350e owners are experiencing problems with their vehicles' plug-in hybrid hardware, particularly related to charging and the battery capacity.

This thread and its poll is designed to help document the issues and indicate their prevalence. To do so, it is requested that only current owners of the C350e complete the poll, please.

Working on it now...sorry for the delay...trying to be methodical

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most reviews I have read ends up at about 70% of the 19 miles.
It comes down to a small battery 6,3 kwh and big engine/weight, add some math to this and things get more realistic.
The reason for the more than 30 km in specifications is to get less tax in different markets, I expect most people here to have read the real life test before they bought the car?

Have read two different PHEV reviews where Mitsubishi Outlander comes out best on EV, it got 2 times battery capacity, and 0-100 in 11 seconds.
VW, Mitsubishi and Mercedes all come out some 30% below stated EV length in those tests in real life.

I did never in my wildest fantasy think I would get the 19 miles my self.
What I do expect is 0-100 in 5,9 sec and 600 nm. :-D

Range

Hello There

I would never have expected to drive the 19 miles on the battery pack alone, just as when the maximum range states 13 miles I would not expect to actually achieve that. Under real world conditions.

However its surely not unreasonable for me to have the potential to of 19 at full charge or should we not be told, we say 19 but thats a figure to swerve the tax authorites in some part of the world?

Honesty is what we want not Lies smoke or mirrors

To get meaningfull figures for charge /range you would really have to monitor ambient temperature as lithium-ion batteries have different performance profiles according to their individual cell temperatures. This might be particularly relevant at this time of year?
Focus - Automotive Engineer

Most anecdotal evidence indicates reduced battery range with lower ambient temperatures.

Last edited:
To get meaningfull figures for charge /range you would really have to monitor ambient temperature as lithium-ion batteries have different performance profiles according to their individual cell temperatures. This might be particularly relevant at this time of year?
Focus - Automotive Engineer

Most anecdotal evidence indicates reduced battery range with lower ambient temperatures.

This, and it also states in the information that range will be compromised in the cold. Today I got a few extra miles as it was 5 or 6 degrees warmer, so managed around 9 miles on battery instead of about 6 Tuesday when it was -2c. I expect this to improve further as weather warms

I've voted, you might need to at a "yet" to the no issues options!

Charged in rain, no issues (yet)
I get about 14-15 miles predicted range on 100%.
However I could only do 9 actual miles on my one test. This does involve several 30->60 accelerations though, which must dent the range. I'll have to give it another go, as I've done many charges since that run.

some background.
The Hybrid Car Battery: A Definitive Guide

and battery temperature regulation.

http://www.slideshare.net/ap3slidsh...ling-system-layout-thermal-management-thermal

alfred-piggott-20120531-battery-cooling-system-layout-thermal-management-thermal-4-728.jpg

Last edited:
As has been alluded to, the question about range is too variable.
I've had widely varying ranges depending on ambient temps. I always expected it to be a fair chunk less than the official ratings though, so I'm not really bothered.

If driving on electric was the key attraction to the car, you'd go for an EV, surely..?

Hi,
I have recently collected my C350e. It showed a range of 16 miles on battery when I picked it up but since then, never charged to more than 11 miles. I live in a hilly area. Could it be something to do with that? Does the car 'learn' and predict the range?

The range is calculated the same as the range on your petrol. If you cruise about at 40 it will show a much longer range than if you are on the redline in seventh. It can’t tell the future so it can only reflect what your usage has been.

If you live somewhere hilly (as I do) you will get most range by using the engine uphill and electric down. You will soon find you will travel further than the range it predicts when you set off in the morning.

Never had an issue, BIK rate makes it cheap and now with a remap it goes even better than before.
Stepping stone to a full EV (non Tesla) in 2 years, until then I just plan to enjoy this Jekyl and Hyde of a car.

The range is calculated the same as the range on your petrol. If you cruise about at 40 it will show a much longer range than if you are on the redline in seventh. It can’t tell the future so it can only reflect what your usage has been.

If you live somewhere hilly (as I do) you will get most range by using the engine uphill and electric down. You will soon find you will travel further than the range it predicts when you set off in the morning.

Thanks Captainchaos. I had the charging socket replaced on Saturday (apparently a recall from Mercedes due to issues with the socket) and since then it appears to be charging to 14 miles. So, I am happier but will definitely try your suggestion to petrol it up the hills and see how it fares.

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom