Mercedes-Benz Chelsea charges £80 for 4 fusess

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Status
Not open for further replies.

james ensor

Car
Mercedes
Mercedes-Benz Chelse is actually in Wandsworth the other side of Wandsworth Bridge over the Thames in London. it is a company owned outlet so that I expected it to give an honest repair job. On Tuesday after Easter I took in an old Mercedes E class estate. It had been sitting out in a London street and become very damp both inside the cabin and under the bonnet. The wiper ( it has only one) and front electric windows would not work.

This has happenned before and I suspected water and corrosion in the fuse box and perhaps a blown fuse. This is an established weak point of the E Class and I suspect of all Mercedes as I am sure that they all use the same fuse box.

I told them what I believed to be wrong but explained that I had no fuse to replace any blown one. I was made to wait for half an hour and then the workshop manager appeared and saidthis was definitely not a fuse. Something more serious had happenned to the wiring loom. I took this on trust and booked in for a repair two days later.

When i arrived I drove through the gates to find somewhere to park. I was pursued by an East European who shouted through the window that i could not park there. True enough the 100-150 parking spaces were all occupied by new black Mercedes of various models. I was told that these were all customer cars, which I do not believe, as almost all of them had been parked there when I arrived two days earlier.

At reception I booked in leaving the car' by the service bay having refused to allow the East European to drive it away. I was given the name of someone who would liase with me and let me know when the car was fixed. She made me wait 15 minutes before she appeared. But worse was to follow. I rang no fewer than four times as afternoon turned to evening. She never answered her phone and nobody else rang back, I later discovered she had been away on a training class all day.

So I went back to the workshops to find two laughing Africans sitting in my car apparently listening to the radio. I took away the key and went to reception to pay. Suddenly one African appeared and demanded the key to turn off the engine? What a silly fib. He was followed by the same East European who demanded the key in a very rude manner. i refused to give it to him, as I was by now intent on paying and getting out as fast as possible.

After another 10 minutes the manager arrived and said that mechanics had spent 4 hours on the car but they would not charge for this. he said that the fuses were working but they had replaced 4 at £2 each. The labour charged apparently reduced brought the bill to £80.

It must have been obvious to anyone opening the fuse box that this was the origin of the problem. There is corrosion of the metal parts. However Mercedes did not replace this as they keep no spares in stock. I refused to let them keep the car overnight to incur still more charges. As his parting shot the manager told me that the car would soon suffer the same problem, again.

Leave this place to the Russians and Arabs who are so rich that they do not care how much they pay for an incompetent, unresponsive, rude and ludicrously expensive repair.

Last edited:
Shocking

I wouldn't expect that from any garage, let alone some bearing the MB name

Shocking - your post manages to be racist and offensive; without actually getting to the issue... What does the Ethnicity of the various employees have to do with anything?

Last edited:
Good rant, James. I think you got off quite lightly as most London dealerships now charge around £150 / hour

I'd use an independent like AMC on Garrett Lane, Colin Ferns or Steve Redfearn

Nick Froome

How did you know they where Eastern European and African?

You could look through the ad's in the Daily Mail, I'm sure they could point you in the direction of a workshop that would be to your liking.

I'm assuming the OP is neither blind nor deaf haven driven there in the first place :D
So you can tell where someone comes from by them laughing?

Shocking - your post manages to be racist and offensive; without actually getting to the issue... What does the Ethnicity of the various employees have to do with anything?

I see where you are coming from, and do not disagree. However we all get a 'first impression' from the way we are greeted, and from the sound of it the OP did not get a warm fuzzy feeling.

We all know that immigrants from Eastern Europe travel to Britain to work, and typically work for less. Add after being shouted at I can see why the OP might be wondering about the quality of staff employed.

I think OP's point is that he does feel that they took care of the car, and feel's ripped off.

I see where you are coming from, and do not disagree. However we all get a 'first impression' from the way we are greeted, and from the sound of it the OP did not get a warm fuzzy feeling.

We all know that immigrants from Eastern Europe travel to Britain to work, and typically work for less. Add after being shouted at I can see why the OP might be wondering about the quality of staff employed.

I think OP's point is that he does feel that they took care of the car, and feel's ripped off.

I think you missed my point ;)

There clearly is an issue with that the OP is making - the staff lack training in customer relations, and potentially in manners and verbal communication skills. This is an issue, and rightly so.

That said, what does their ethnicities have anything to do with their (lack of) these skills though? Is the assumption that these ethnicities cannot have these skills?

Would it have been better if two Englishmen were listening to the radio? Or can there be rich people who aren't Russian/Arab? Had he been shouted at by a Frenchman, would that have made a difference? Point is, the issue is the skills/training - not their ethnicities :)

M.

Last edited:
I think you missed my point ;)

There clearly is an issue with that the OP is making - the staff lack training in customer relations, and potentially in manners and verbal communication skills. This is an issue, and rightly so.

That said, what does their ethnicities have anything to do with their (lack of) these skills though? Is the assumption that these ethnicities cannot have these skills?

Would it have been better if two Englishmen were listening to the radio? Or can there be rich people who aren't Russian/Arab? Had he been shouted at by a Frenchman, would that have made a difference? Point is, the issue is the skills/training - not their ethnicities :)

M.

I do get your point, and see where you are coming from.

I think it makes a difference whether the perception is that the business are employing cheap staff to save money (and again rightly or wrongly the eastern Europeans will work cheaper (and often longer and harder)), or are employing staff who are best qualified for the job.

I do get your point, and see where you are coming from.

I think it makes a difference whether the perception is that the business are employing cheap staff to save money (and again rightly or wrongly the eastern Europeans will work cheaper (and often longer and harder)), or are employing staff who are best qualified for the job.

Can of worms, and I should stop posting :p but heyho... waiting on a response to my emails from work, so I have a minute to fan the flames.

--

So, is the issue the salary that someone gets paid? By your very lines, they "often [work] longer and harder" - but are cheaper? So is the issue the lack of skills (regardless of ethnicity) or the cheapness of the labour?

(I'll stop now, promised)

M.

can of worms opened here.LOL

49105main_popcorn.jpg

I've experienced the joy of the Chelsea Wandsworth gatekeeper too. I went to collect a new battery for my W124 as mine had gone kaputt, and he told me in no uncertain terms to park elsewhere and he'd move it for me. I told him with a flat battery he'd move it absolutely nowhere so in the end he let me put it in a prominent place.

As to the parts department, I waited 30 mins while the men in front of me attempted to haggle about the price of the parts.

A totally lousy experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom