Mercedes-Benz EQC Press Release

Discussion in 'Mercedes News' started by KillerHERTZ, Sep 4, 2018.

1. KillerHERTZ

KillerHERTZ Administrator Staff Member

Car:
    CLS63 AMG
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The 80 kWh battery (10 kWh more than in the concept version) is expected to last for up to 200 miles (320 km). Then, the car will be able to recharge at 110 kW (from 10% to 80% in 40 minutes).

According to the press release, the 80 kWh is the usable amount: “The lithium-ion battery, which has a usable energy content of 80 kWh supplies the vehicle with power.”

“The EQC is equipped with the latest generation of a lithium-ion (Li-Ion) battery serving as the energy source for both electric motors. The battery consists of 384 cells and is located in the vehicle floor, between the two axles. The battery system is modular in design, consisting of two modules with 48 cells each and four with 72 cells each. The powerful high-voltage battery has a nominal voltage of approx. 350 V and a nominal capacity of approx. 218 Ah, for an energy content of 80 kWh (according to NEDC/WLTP).

The integral overall cooling concept of the EQC, consisting of a heat pump function and two electric PTC heater boosters, not only includes the power electronics, the electric motor and the rotor, but also the battery. The entire battery system is liquid-cooled. At low temperatures a battery heater ensures outstanding performance and efficiency (see Climate control section).”

[​IMG]
    2020 Mercedes-Benz EQC battery

For powertrain, Mercedes-Benz decided to go with two asynchronous motors – one for the front axle and one for the rear axle. System output of the all-wheel drive EQC stands at 300 kW and 564 lb-ft (765 Nm). Acceleration from 0 to 60 mph (almost 100 km/h) will be possible in 4.9 seconds.

“Intelligent Drivetrain: The EQC features an all-new drive system with compact electric drivetrains at each axle. These give the EQC the confident and dynamic driving characteristics of an all-wheel drive vehicle. To reduce power consumption, the electric drivetrains are configured differently: the front electric motor is optimized for best possible efficiency in the low to medium load range, while the rear e-motor adds sportiness.”

“ECO Assist System: Gives the driver comprehensive support when driving predictively: by prompting the driver when it is appropriate to lift off the accelerator–for example when the vehicle is approaching a change in speed limit, and by functions such as coasting and specific control of recuperation. For this purpose, navigation data, traffic sign recognition and information from the intelligent safety assistants (radar and stereo camera) are linked and processed.”

[​IMG]
    2020 Mercedes-Benz EQC

The driver will be able to choose between many modes:

“The following programs are available:

• COMFORT: Default setting; accelerator pedal characteristic supports a comfortable driving style, but also automatically becomes more dynamic depending on the driving style.
    • ECO: Driving program focused on high efficiency and low consumption.
    • MAX RANGE: Intelligent driving program that can help the driver achieve the maximum possible range.
    • SPORT: Driving program focused on the best response for the highest driving performance.
    • INDIVIDUAL: Allows the driver to customize each individual parameter separately.
    One-pedal driving: manual selection of braking recuperation

The driver is also able to influence the recuperation level using paddles behind the steering wheel. The paddle on the left increases the level of recuperation, the paddle on the right reduces it. The following stages are available:

• D Auto (recuperation via ECO Assist to suit the situation)
    • D + (coasting)
    • D (low recuperation)
    • D – (medium recuperation)
    • D – – (high recuperation). This makes one-pedal driving possible, because in most situations the recuperative deceleration is enough to not require use of the brake pedal.”
    One of the interesting things is the new head unit generation from Mercedes-Benz called MBUX (Mercedes-Benz User Experience). It features a new user interface and natural speech recognition and a touchscreen.

“Mercedes-Benz User Experience (MBUX): A completely new multimedia system featuring innovative technology based on Artificial Intelligence and an intuitive operating system. MBUX technology is pioneering a new level of in-car experience. MBUX can be operated by Voice Control, the Touchscreen (a first for Mercedes-Benz vehicles), Touchpad and Touch Control Buttons on the steering wheel. The system has learning capabilities and intelligent Voice Control with natural language understanding and a verbal cue of “Hey Mercedes.””

[​IMG]
    2020 Mercedes-Benz EQC

Among other features, the EQC is equipped with a heat pump:

“Pre-entry climate control: This ensures that the vehicle interior is at the desired temperature on departure. It can be programmed directly via MBUX or via the Mercedes me connect App. A sophisticated system with a heat pump and electric heater boosters pre-climatizes the interior for optimal comfort in the cold winter or hot summer days.”

Production of the EQC will start in the plant in Bremen, Germany from 2019 and later in Beijing, China by Beijing Benz Automotive Co. Ltd. (BBAC). In the U.S., sales of the EQC will begin in 2020. The prices are not yet know.

2020 Mercedes-Benz EQC 400 4MATIC preliminary specs

• dual motor (asynchronous), all-wheel drive
    • system output of 300 kW (402 hp) and 564 lb-ft (765 Nm)
    • 0-60 mph in 4.9 seconds
    • top speed of 112 mph (180 km/h)
    • 80 kWh battery (384 cells – 218 Ah each – two modules with 48 cells and four modules with 72 cells)
    • up to 200 miles (320 km) of all-electric range (prelim est.)
    • DC fast charging (CCS Combo) in 40 minutes (110kW, 10%-80%)
    • AC on-board charger – 7.4 kW
    [​IMG]

Happytalk73 and grober like this.
  2. OP
    OP
    KillerHERTZ

KillerHERTZ Administrator Staff Member

Car:
    CLS63 AMG
    Only the most significant Mercedes in 10 years and not a single comment :D

clk320x, m2287 and Koolvin like this.
  3. Chrishazle

Chrishazle Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    2008 S204 C220CDI Elegance Estate Auto, 1993 Porsche 968 Tip Cab.
    Steering wheel's on the wrong side - any comment about a RHD model - and price?

Rather than an SUV, I'd rather see a conventional estate like my S204 - but then I'm biased, looked at a variety of SUV's years ago and we decided we'd rather stay with a normal estate car - let alone having to organise a charging point on our driveway despite having 3 phase power supply here!

4. grober

grober MB Club Veteran

Car:
    W204 C200CDI Estate
  5. m2287

m2287 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Bentley Continental GT
    Imagine getting to your mates house, it won’t be “got an iPhone charger I can borrow” anymore, it’ll be “got a charger I can borrow for my car mate”

clk320x likes this.
  6. clk320x

clk320x MB Club Veteran

Car:
    W211 E320 CDI - W212 E250 CDI
  7. grober

grober MB Club Veteran

Car:
    W204 C200CDI Estate
    The Bloomberg site does a market analysis thingy

8. grober

grober MB Club Veteran

Car:
    W204 C200CDI Estate
    I don't see the drilling derricks, oil platforms, refineries, supertankers and filling stations in the first picture- maybe the diesel car had just driven past them? Ah----- there they are.;)
    [​IMG]

The Urban Oil Fields of Los Angeles

clk320x likes this.
  9. clk320x

clk320x MB Club Veteran

Car:
    W211 E320 CDI - W212 E250 CDI
    :)
    [​IMG]

ChrisEdu and merc85 like this.
  10. merc85

merc85 MB Club Veteran

Car:
    s211 e55k
    I Love the look of it, the 1st electric car id actually consider, But i wouldn't swap from my v8 lol

clk320x likes this.
  11. Petrol Pete

Petrol Pete Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    C55 AMG Wagon
    Good God I do hope the car is more interesting to drive then that film is to watch, WTF ?
    I have seen a number of German made films and they are far much more interesting than that one . :rolleyes:

Happytalk73 likes this.
  12. Steveml63

Steveml63 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    ML63 AMG
    Looks a bit better built than a crappy Tesla!

13. SPX

SPX MB Club Veteran

Car:
    That one
    Front end looks exactly like a Toyota Landcruiser, back end looks great, interior too.

My only concern would be the low battery range for what will be a car that’s released in two years, 200 miles is pretty low even now.

Also interested to know if it is Mercedes own battery or if they’ve got a BYD (or suchlike)

clk320x and m2287 like this.
  14. grober

grober MB Club Veteran

Car:
    W204 C200CDI Estate
    It's an interesting phenomenon that the imminent introduction of electric car technology has seemingly made the supporters of ICE propelled vehicles suddenly become acutely aware of the environmental impact of electric vehicles. :p Like all new personal transport propulsive technology there is an inevitable environmental price to pay and it could be argued that the owners and manufacturers of electric cars tend to play this down to the extent of ignoring it when extolling the virtues of electric propulsion. :( That said this new found concern for the environment would be a mite more convincing if before this Damascene moment the ICE critics of Electrical propulsion had been expressing similar environmental concerns about the global impact of ICE vehicle production and use. ;) Sounds otherwise a bit like the pot calling the kettle black?
    I see the electric vehicle as an immediate answer to localised atmospheric pollution in areas of heavy vehicle and people population and as such useable vehicles such as this new Mercedes are to be welcomed.:) I'm glad they have given it a conventional appearance externally and internally so it can blend into the general vehicle population. :cool: This should help market acceptance and avoid any criticism of an overt environment-friendly superiority message any radically different appearance might engender. :confused: In short I like Mercedes first real toe in the EV market [ not counting the short lived electric B class here :oops:] whether I could ever afford one is a different matter of course!:rolleyes:

15. tangey

tangey Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    GLC250D
    I have been extremely eager to see this announcment. It looks pretty decent to me, not sure about the rather deep lip once you get into the car, ie. it appears you need to lift your feet quite a bit to get over the sill when getting out. Does this mean that although the car appears to be the same height as the GLC, you actually sit closer to the ground. GLC is already one of the lowest SUVs in it's segment. If sitting overall lower, it is starting to be not an SUV.

Also a "transmission tunnel" in the back looks like the mechanical/power criteria outweighed design criteria. It looks like a poor choice. You are supposed to have more room in an electric car. I understand this needs to be built on the same production line as the GLC, which likely means a lot of design restrictions, but customers don't see that. All they see is an electric car with a weird "transmission tunnel".

I see now the first citation of a useable range of "up to" 200 miles, which is less than was originally rumoured, with a battery that has 13% or so more capacity than was original thought, is overall very disapointing. I wonder if the bigger battery is in part the reason for the "tunnel". This is a big car 2.4 tonnes, likely £60K+ in the UK, and as has already been mentioned isn't on the road for another 12-18 months. If this is the state of the art of battery tech, given the amount of money that mercedes is throwing at EV and the amount that is resting on this for them, then it suggests that battery powered cars are still not ready for primetime.

I'm starting to come back to thinking that my next car will instead be a plug-in hyrbid GLC, if mercedes ever gets round to launching one in the UK, and assuming its' not silly money. I do want MBUX, so hopefully that'll be in the next GLC. BTW the wide screen dash doesn't look at all well integrated, it still looks like a separate entity that is attached to the dash, as opposed to having the dash built around it. You would have thought they could have come up with a better solution than that, given it's a new design.

The quick 0-60 and the low top speed seem to be at odds. It says in the specs it's electronically limited to 112MPH. One wonders why ? Also given the comparatively low top speed, it leads one to question how quick it goes from 60-80 for example.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2018
    steve_w likes this.
  16. LTD

LTD MB Club Veteran

Car:
    Yep, one of THOSE !!!
    I still have a nagging doubt about buying an EV or an EHV due to the battery tech

Battery tech is changing at a rapid rate with can make a car almost obsolete overnight.

Imagine spending £60k on an EV with a range of 200 miles and a charge time of two hours to see a new car in 18 months with twice the range and half the charge time.

Standardisation of the battery backs with user swap out would be the ultimate aim IMO

Happytalk73 and clk320x like this.
  17. grober

grober MB Club Veteran

Car:
    W204 C200CDI Estate
  18. grober

grober MB Club Veteran

Car:
    W204 C200CDI Estate
    This seems to have a lot more technical detail??? Which does pose the question once they start selling them how many dealers will be up to servicing/repairing them? If anything like BMW's i SERIES models it will only be a select few- initially at least.

19. tangey

tangey Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    GLC250D
    This one gives the best look and details.

grober likes this.
  20. Larkone

Larkone Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    2008 CLS 320 CDI facelift
    So how many 110KW chargers do you see on your street? If more than two people bought electric cars in my road that would take the full capacity of the electricity infrastructure so no one else could charge one. Nobody seems to think how are we going to charge these when they start to become mainstream - imagine the queues in motorway service areas (M5/6 during a summer weekend for example) as you wait at least half an hour for every car in front of you to charge itself. The car tech may be there, the charging infrastructure isn't and nobody is talking about how this will achieved. I think I am going to invest in a diesel truck, with a big diesel generator on the back to offer emergency charging services to those that have run out of battery power somewhere inconvenient.