Mercedes-Benz Guildford (Sandown Group) - Good Service

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Not getting anything confused. Here is the make up of the respective services. Those were the figures quoted to me by Brooklands, the car was 6,500 miles at the time, 2 years old.

A and B Services Explained
Mercedes-Benz owners take great pride in their vehicles, and also in the precision engineering that goes into the automobile. For this reason, it is also extremely important to adhere to maintenance schedules, since this will not only increase the longevity of the engine, but will also continue to enhance the overall performance of your car. So what are the differences between an A Service and B Service? This is a common question from our Mercedes-Benz customers. So we’ve set out the differences. If you would like to book a service with Mercedes-Benz Hertfordshire, or have questions about your service, follow the links above to see more information. However, before you disappear off this page, have a look at the differences between the two services for your treasured Mercedes-Benz.
What is the A Service for my Mercedes-Benz?
The A-Service is typically the first service your Mercedes-Benz will need. It comes at 15,534 miles or when your car turns 1 year old. The exact time is determined by the vehicle’s Flexible Service System. Your vehicle will then next need an A Service typically every 2 years.
What services are performed for the A Service?
The A Service comprises of:

• Synthetic Motor Oil Replacement

• Oil Filter Replacement

• Tyre Inflation Check & Correction

• Brake Component Inspection

• Reset Maintenance Counter

The A Service is the smaller service of the two which is reflected in the cost. If you use the Mercedes me app, you will get notifications when your next service is due. The app also shows you the number of miles until your next service is due.

What is the B Service for my Mercedes-Benz?
Your vehicle will need a B-Service at approximately 1 year after the A Service, or at the next 15,534 miles, whichever comes first. The exact time is determined by the vehicle’s Flexible Service System. Then the next B Service will typically be every 2 years, unless you are doing more than 15,534 miles per year.
What services are performed?
The B Service comprises of:

• Oil Filter Replacement

• Cabin Dust/Combination Filter Replacement

• Brake Fluid Exchange

The B Service is the major service your vehicle will receive and therefore comes in at a higher cost than the A Service. Don’t forget, if you use the Mercedes me app, you will get notifications when your next service is due. The app also shows you the number of miles until your next service is due.

There is a lot more to both an A nad a B service than you have listed,...

Key Features of Service A
Change engine oil and oil filter (not applicable for electric vehicles)
Check charging cable and vehicle socket for mechanical damage (Hybrid & Electric)
Check brake fluid level
Correct and note down tyre pressure
Check/correct spare tyre pressure (equipment specific)
Check TIREFIT tyre sealant (equipment specific)
Check first aid kit
Check luggage compartment illumination for proper operation
Check/correct windcreen washer fluid
Check lamps in the instrument cluster and interior illumination for proper operation
Check ex-factory driving aids (equipment specific)
Fill up or replace vial of perfume atomizer (equipment specific)

A more thorough ‘B’ service will also involve elements such as a brake test and headlamp alignment.

I wouldn't call any of that 'a lot more'. All of those 'check' items are visual inspections only and would take less than 5 minutes to complete the lot, maybe 10 if you're checking driver assistance aids such as blind spot assist (probably done from the Star diagnostic anyway). If bulbs needed replacing they would no doubt charge the extra labour and bulb.

The tyre pressure check and correct is 10 minutes tops if that. Perfume atomiser not applicable. The B service was all that plus cabin filter and brake fluid replacement and the cost differential was noted above. It's a huge cost for what you are getting imho and poor value for money for the work carried out.

That said, no one has put a gun to my head, 'you pays your money and takes your choices' as they say!! :)

It is irrelevant how long you think the job takes - MB charges by the book. At £150 an hour, a 10 minute job will cost you £25.

Big boys toys come with big bills.

Have you challenged the charge for brake fluid change?

I had an A service plus brake fluid change on my SL500 at MB Guildford in 2017. I didn't provide my own oil on that occasion (it takes a LOT), and the total bill was £306.77. The B service in 2019 was £553.94, which included fitting a new steering damper (again, I didn't provide oil that time either).

Not getting anything confused. Here is the make up of the respective services. Those were the figures quoted to me by Brooklands, the car was 6,500 miles at the time, 2 years old.

A and B Services Explained
Mercedes-Benz owners take great pride in their vehicles, and also in the precision engineering that goes into the automobile. For this reason, it is also extremely important to adhere to maintenance schedules, since this will not only increase the longevity of the engine, but will also continue to enhance the overall performance of your car. So what are the differences between an A Service and B Service? This is a common question from our Mercedes-Benz customers. So we’ve set out the differences. If you would like to book a service with Mercedes-Benz Hertfordshire, or have questions about your service, follow the links above to see more information. However, before you disappear off this page, have a look at the differences between the two services for your treasured Mercedes-Benz.
What is the A Service for my Mercedes-Benz?
The A-Service is typically the first service your Mercedes-Benz will need. It comes at 15,534 miles or when your car turns 1 year old. The exact time is determined by the vehicle’s Flexible Service System. Your vehicle will then next need an A Service typically every 2 years.
What services are performed for the A Service?
The A Service comprises of:

• Oil Filter Replacement

The A Service is the smaller service of the two which is reflected in the cost. If you use the Mercedes me app, you will get notifications when your next service is due. The app also shows you the number of miles until your next service is due.

What is the B Service for my Mercedes-Benz?
Your vehicle will need a B-Service at approximately 1 year after the A Service, or at the next 15,534 miles, whichever comes first. The exact time is determined by the vehicle’s Flexible Service System. Then the next B Service will typically be every 2 years, unless you are doing more than 15,534 miles per year.
What services are performed?
The B Service comprises of:

• Oil Filter Replacement

• Cabin Dust/Combination Filter Replacement

• Brake Fluid Exchange

The B Service is the major service your vehicle will receive and therefore comes in at a higher cost than the A Service. Don’t forget, if you use the Mercedes me app, you will get notifications when your next service is due. The app also shows you the number of miles until your next service is due.

I understand the differences between A and B services etc thank you, been around MBs long enough :cool:

Some of the service operations are time related, some are mileage related and some whichever comes first (eg spark plugs)

Brake fluid should be every two years. If your car only ever had one service a year from new then you’d be having the brake fluid replaced every second service, ie a B. As you’re doing low mileage, that’s what would happen - but it is not included in the price of any service, otherwise people who do more annual mileage would be paying for brake fluid to be replaced when it’s not needed. Likewise if you had two services before the car reached 2 years old, you might have the brake fluid replaced on an A service. That’s how it works :thumb:

The cost of the additional service items (such as brake fluid) would be based on the cost of the consumables/parts plus the book time for labour. Brake fluid is cheap - and the book time would be less than an hour. No Mercedes dealer in the country charges over £360 for that.

I don’t believe that you were quoted over £360 extra just to replace the brake fluid - which is what you said:

No that's it.

Oil/filter and air filter change was £382.37 on it's own (what they call an A minus service). Of course you get the safety check but that's all. The brake fluid takes it to £748.90 (just found my diary note!)
That's what I was quoted, so I just went with the A as mine has done naff all mileage (7,900 miles and had 3 lots of oil). I wasn't prepared to pay that much, complete piss take in my book.

So was the difference in price of £366 (£748 vs. £382) for brake fluid or was it because you went for an A-service without brake fluid instead?

It’s got to me a mistake on either your part or the dealer, as no ones charges £366 just for brake fluid :)

I've been using them since 2003, and in their prior incarnation as Tony Purslow before he sold his group off to Sandown. As long as I've been a member here and since I've been an owner of a Mercedes for 17 years.

Just to provide some balance and update this thread, I had the GL63 serviced this week at Mercedes-Benz Guildford and the service wasn’t quite as great as before.

Positives:

- Booking was easy and as previously mentioned they offer a courtesy vehicle FOC whereas many main dealers charge extra for this (I was given use of an electric EQA 250, which was actually a very decent little car - impressed! Also positive being that as it was an EV there was no fuel costs - they said just bring it back and they’ll charge it back up).

- MOT was only £20, as per a letter sent out to me before hand (Platinum Scheme). But they did insist on me bringing this piece of paper down which seemed a bit of a an unnecessary exercise bearing in mind that they’d sent this to me (surely a quick check or email etc would be easier than insisting on paperwork in 2022?)

Negatives:

Car was dropped off as usual and handed over without a fuss. Received the usual ‘star view’ video report a few hours later but with a couple of surprises.

1) Front wiper blades needed replacing (they said that the wear indicator was on). This was not only mentioned on the video report by the tech but also on the physical checklist/inspection. That wouldn’t normally be a problem except:

a) There are no wear indicators on this model
b) I had fitted 3x brand new genuine MB wipers myself less than 24 hours earlier :doh:

2) They advised that the front and rear pads were low and suggested replacing those.

I have already got a new set of new genuine MB front pads at home ready to fit and I am aware that they’re getting there, but not quite ready to fit. Fair enough if you only take your car into a garage once a year you’d probably want to get them done on this visit but they’ve still got some life left in them and the wear indicator is not on either, braking performance is good. They recorded ‘95% worn’, which I suspect is an exaggeration. I am planning to run them a little more, then replace them with new discs at the same time in the summer.

The rears I replaced myself less than 2 years/10k miles previously. I noted that the rear pads are very thin even when new on this model (9.75mm wear material) - so I suspect this maybe a mis-calculation on their part (from my visual inspection I’d say that they’re much nearer to new than worn out). They suggested 75% worn, I’d say more like 40%.

Obviously I declined the brake work and they carried on with the service and MOT. What bugged me though was that they’d added four separate advisories on the MOT for these items (brakes on all four corners). Not sure if that was before, or after I’d declined the brake replacement.

On collection the service advisor said that as it was only an ‘A’ service they only carry out a visual brake inspection. I mentioned the wipers, and asked about the wear indicator showing that they needed changing. Came out to the car park and the service advisor questioned why they didn’t have one. I took with me my the original wipers that came off with the packaging for the new ones and receipt, we checked them against the same part in stock at their parts department and - surprise surprise, all three sets the same :) Still doesn’t explain why they said they needed replacing though (they were brand new!)

Now it’s only £50 for the wipers but it’s still a poor show on their part. Likewise the brakes, no need to stick an advisory down for the rear pads. Fronts - possibly, but I do wonder if they noted these before or after I declined the work…

No battery for the key fob this time either, or screen wash/top up (used to get the remainder of the bottle left in the car in the past?).

Aside from that no real complaints. I’m sure it’s par for the course. I could complain (MOT history bugs me a little, as this is a very well maintained/fairly low mileage car) and it does affect what people think when they look at cars in the future, but life’s too short and all that.

Other than that the car was given a clean bill of health, and it’s been a very good car for the last three years now. It’s the third time I’ve used them for the service on this car.

I’m probably due one experience like this after several perfect ones on this and other vehicles. I’ll probably still go back but it’s taken the shine off them a little in my opinion. It was a new service advisor this time around.

Just to provide some balance and update this thread, I had the GL63 serviced this week at Mercedes-Benz Guildford and the service wasn’t quite as great as before.

Positives:

- Booking was easy and as previously mentioned they offer a courtesy vehicle FOC whereas many main dealers charge extra for this (I was given use of an electric EQA 250, which was actually a very decent little car - impressed! Also positive being that as it was an EV there was no fuel costs - they said just bring it back and they’ll charge it back up).

- MOT was only £20, as per a letter sent out to me before hand (Platinum Scheme). But they did insist on me bringing this piece of paper down which seemed a bit of a an unnecessary exercise bearing in mind that they’d sent this to me (surely a quick check or email etc would be easier than insisting on paperwork in 2022?)

Negatives:

Car was dropped off as usual and handed over without a fuss. Received the usual ‘star view’ video report a few hours later but with a couple of surprises.

1) Front wiper blades needed replacing (they said that the wear indicator was on). This was not only mentioned on the video report by the tech but also on the physical checklist/inspection. That wouldn’t normally be a problem except:

a) There are no wear indicators on this model
b) I had fitted 3x brand new genuine MB wipers myself less than 24 hours earlier :doh:

2) They advised that the front and rear pads were low and suggested replacing those.

I have already got a new set of new genuine MB front pads at home ready to fit and I am aware that they’re getting there, but not quite ready to fit. Fair enough if you only take your car into a garage once a year you’d probably want to get them done on this visit but they’ve still got some life left in them and the wear indicator is not on either, braking performance is good. They recorded ‘95% worn’, which I suspect is an exaggeration. I am planning to run them a little more, then replace them with new discs at the same time in the summer.

The rears I replaced myself less than 2 years/10k miles previously. I noted that the rear pads are very thin even when new on this model (9.75mm wear material) - so I suspect this maybe a mis-calculation on their part (from my visual inspection I’d say that they’re much nearer to new than worn out). They suggested 75% worn, I’d say more like 40%.

Obviously I declined the brake work and they carried on with the service and MOT. What bugged me though was that they’d added four separate advisories on the MOT for these items (brakes on all four corners). Not sure if that was before, or after I’d declined the brake replacement.

On collection the service advisor said that as it was only an ‘A’ service they only carry out a visual brake inspection. I mentioned the wipers, and asked about the wear indicator showing that they needed changing. Came out to the car park and the service advisor questioned why they didn’t have one. I took with me my the original wipers that came off with the packaging for the new ones and receipt, we checked them against the same part in stock at their parts department and - surprise surprise, all three sets the same :) Still doesn’t explain why they said they needed replacing though (they were brand new!)

Now it’s only £50 for the wipers but it’s still a poor show on their part. Likewise the brakes, no need to stick an advisory down for the rear pads. Fronts - possibly, but I do wonder if they noted these before or after I declined the work…

No battery for the key fob this time either, or screen wash/top up (used to get the remainder of the bottle left in the car in the past?).

Aside from that no real complaints. I’m sure it’s par for the course. I could complain (MOT history bugs me a little, as this is a very well maintained/fairly low mileage car) and it does affect what people think when they look at cars in the future, but life’s too short and all that.

Other than that the car was given a clean bill of health, and it’s been a very good car for the last three years now. It’s the third time I’ve used them for the service on this car.

I’m probably due one experience like this after several perfect ones on this and other vehicles. I’ll probably still go back but it’s taken the shine off them a little in my opinion. It was a new service advisor this time around.
I’ve had the issue with the screenwash remainder not left behind and same with no key batteries.

Called them out on it as I paid for the batteries and screen wash. So hand them over, (if using one, I want the second for the spare key. No it wasn’t left in the car as they said it would be.

Screen wash was nearly full, I checked before I left for the service so no the car didn’t consume the bottle - despite them insisting it did. Requested the bottle of Screenwash too.

Otherwise it’s all good, but annoying. Had the same with the brakes, ignored them. It’s not yet due, and I have a fresh set at the ready when it is due.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom