Mercedes Benz Insurance Policies

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

10EDD

Car
GL 350 & VW GTE
Apologies if there is a thread already regarding this, but has anyone used Mercedes Benz insurance for anythig past the new car 7 day trial on the basis that it warrants the apparant premium in what it brings in extras to Mercedes owners?

I have used this handy (and free) 7 day insurance service for my ML320 and C250 to allow the dealership to get on with registering and taxing the cars easily but decided to go elsewhere for the annual policy due to them being around 100% more expensive than the genral spread of other quotes. My new C63 arrives next week and this time their policy is still more expensive than my existing insurer (LV) but not to the extent than I've previously been quoted and this time I'm tempted.

Ed

Apologies if there is a thread already regarding this, but has anyone used Mercedes Benz insurance for anythig past the new car 7 day trial on the basis that it warrants the apparant premium in what it brings in extras to Mercedes owners?

I have used this handy (and free) 7 day insurance service for my ML320 and C250 to allow the dealership to get on with registering and taxing the cars easily but decided to go elsewhere for the annual policy due to them being around 100% more expensive than the genral spread of other quotes. My new C63 arrives next week and this time their policy is still more expensive than my existing insurer (LV) but not to the extent than I've previously been quoted and this time I'm tempted.

Ed
Read the small print in both policies and if after comparison your are happy with the price difference then why not. :dk: In the event of an accident at least the car should be repaired at an MB approved workshop although even then people have had bad experiences since its not always "in house":doh:

Read the small print in both policies and if after comparison your are happy with the price difference then why not. :dk: In the event of an accident at least the car should be repaired at an MB approved workshop although even then people have had bad experiences since its not always "in house":doh:

Swiftcover use an MB approved body shop. Its not perfect but good enough:thumb:

I believe that you can choose exactly where your car gets repaired in the event of an accident.

I believe that you can choose exactly where your car gets repaired in the event of an accident.

You can, but it's a can of worms if you have any problems. The insurerer will say you didn't use our bodyshop and the bodyshop won't car as they have no liability towards you as you aren't their customer.

You can, but it's a can of worms if you have any problems. The insurerer will say you didn't use our bodyshop and the bodyshop won't car as they have no liability towards you as you aren't their customer.

Simply insist that the supplying dealership gets to repair the car.

It's that simple.

It's that simple.

Very few dealerships (of any marque) have their own bodyshops these days.

It's that simple.

Yup.

So simple that it ends up in their affiliated bodyshop and repair facility along with every other make.

How many accident damaged MBs do you see at dealerships? I'd guess almost none.

At least you know for sure it's definitely MB Approved, a solid case in any future warranty issue and a proper port of call if there is a problem during repair.

Thanks for the replies to date, I will be looking at the policies back to back but fair point that it is very unlikely main dealers get involved with insurance damage repairs over a given level of damage so the MB policy. I'd still be interested if anyone has had the misfortune to have to call upon their service though to gain an insight in to the realities of their cover.

Thanks again, Ed

Lets add my 2p worth.

I bought my C63 back in January and got quotes from lots of insurance companies.
I went with MB Insurance as the quote and cover was very good at £620 (45 yr old, full protected NCD, living in Surrey) plus if the car is stolen or written off in the first year they will replace the car.

Then a month or so ago some nice person drove into my P&J, but there was a witness :) I can not fault MB Insurance and I did not use their recommended repairer. My car was fixed at MB Brentford (the local MB repair centre as recommended by MB Brooklands) and came back as good as new. MB Insurance also liaised with Bristol & London Accident Management so that I had an E500 whilst my car was being repaired. I can not speak highly enough about them.

Cheers
Col

Very few dealerships (of any marque) have their own bodyshops these days.

MB Edinburgh have their own in Newfield Industrial Estate , I've used it and had a very good job done ; MB Glasgow's is up in Port Dundas , I have never had to use that one .

Ed

I have had quotes from them for two of my classics , both were very competitive .

When I first got the Fintail , I thought of using it as a daily driver - MB were the only ones who would quote me for an 'everyday' policy with business use and no mileage limit - quote was circa £150 from memory , not much more than some Classic policies . Out of curiosity , I also asked them for a quote for the Ponton - perhaps unsurprisingly , MB were the only insurer I have EVER asked to quote to not have then asked 'what's a 219 ?' or told me the model does not exist .... Quote for that one was something like £100 , again fully comp , unlimited mileage & business use .

It obviously varies from car to car , area to area and driver to driver , but under some circumstances they can be competitive .

plus if the car is stolen or written off in the first year they will replace the car.
I think that's standard on all policies, and some go to 2 years.
p
Then a month or so ago some nice person drove into my P&J, but there was a witness :) I can not fault MB Insurance and I did not use their recommended repairer. My car was fixed at MB Brentford (the local MB repair centre as recommended by MB Brooklands) and came back as good as new. MB Insurance also liaised with Bristol & London Accident Management so that I had an E500 whilst my car was being repaired. I can not speak highly enough about them.
So what a lot of insurance companies do, as it makes them money (the Government has just banned this), is refer non-fault claims to accident management companies. Sure, it looks great for you - but that's because the more they can do for you, the more they can charge the 3rd party and it massively increases the cost of the claim.
You might not be too worried about that - until it happens to someone dear to you and they get absolutely stuffed by a hugely inflated claim. And, of course, at the end of the day we all pay for this in higher premiums.

Last edited:
I think that's standard on all policies, and some go to 2 years.

I've noticed on one policy that this was only if you were the first owner of the car.

So something to check / watch out for if buying a prereg or demonstrator.

I've noticed on one policy that this was only if you were the first owner of the car.

So something to check / watch out for if buying a prereg or demonstrator.

I would expect that's always the case - certainly is on mine, with LV=.

I can't imagine any insurance company allowing betterment to the extent they would replace a used car with a new one (unless you paid the difference).

I would expect that's always the case - certainly is on mine, with LV=.

I can't imagine any insurance company allowing betterment to the extent they would replace a used car with a new one (unless you paid the difference).

I believe this is what GAP Insurance covers and is something I always take out on a new car. On the forthcoming C63 it was quoted at £799 for three years of cover which seemed fair and on asking if the price could be bettered it immediately came down to £500 as I have had cars from the dealer before, seems a no brainer really, just in case of course...

Lets add my 2p worth.

I bought my C63 back in January and got quotes from lots of insurance companies.
I went with MB Insurance as the quote and cover was very good at £620 (45 yr old, full protected NCD, living in Surrey) plus if the car is stolen or written off in the first year they will replace the car.

Cheers
Col

Thanks Welfoc, interesting to hear. I've been quoted £642 (41, NCP, Dorset) which doesn't seem bad. LV= who I have the C250 with quoted £502 but with the C63 I feel happier with a no quibble policy and the difference is about 2 weeks of fuel ;-)

Interestingly the C250 which is 9 months old came in at £708 if I changed that from LV= which I pay them £390 for. For the type of use and car this is I can't see me changing this policy (this included a 10% discount for mutli car as well).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom