Mercedes Benz Insurance - what is the point?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

FaeLLe

Car
SL55 Fab Design, E220 AMG Night Edition
I just got a quote for my new E class from a few insurance websites and it ranged from £800ish to £2000.

The only anomoly was that when getting a quote for Mercedes Benz Insurance the annual premium quoted was over £4000... which is almost double.

Why would it be so off and if so why would someone go for it? Is it exclusively for corporate deals..

Insurance is about risk....With quotes like yours, you must be a big one :D

Their underwriters were really willing to accept my risk when they could not find anything on my credit file for over 5 years when I was out of the country.

Because of this reason I do not hold a NCD :)

The finance for car purchase quickly got approved when I gave them my income statement but looks like the insurance guys dont really like me....

Mercedes insurance used to be underwritten by Aviva but this may vary from model to model . As you surmise a lack of insurance record for the last five years and a high performance vehicle place you in a high risk category as far as they are concerned. Where you stay and what you do may also play a part. They calculated the odds and came up with £4k. Don't take it personally.

I just got a quote for my new E class from a few insurance websites and it ranged from £800ish to £2000.

The only anomoly was that when getting a quote for Mercedes Benz Insurance the annual premium quoted was over £4000... which is almost double.

Why would it be so off and if so why would someone go for it? Is it exclusively for corporate deals..

It is just down to individual circumstances - I've had very competitive deals from them in the past : with both my Ponton and my Fintail they were by far the cheapest when I wanted to insure them as everyday cars with unlimited mileage and business use , but then the agent commented that they like to see Classic Mercedes owners keeping their cars on the road .

In both cases my quotes were just over £100

If you ring MB Insurance up they tend to be much cheaper as the operators have discount codes they can apply as they see fit.

I got a quote when I bought my E55. Way above quotes from most mainstream insurers and I saw no benefit taking up their invitation to insure with them.

As stated earlier, insurance offered by MB was underwritten by Aviva at the time and a quote direct from Aviva was far cheaper.

I've had this all the time with car makers own insurance -always a rip off -they just trade on their name hoping to pull the uninitiated in

I've had this all the time with car makers own insurance -always a rip off -they just trade on their name hoping to pull the uninitiated in

Never having been in the position to buy a brand new car, does the MB dealer offer insurance as part of the buying process? Surely only the lazy or owners who have money to throw away take up the offer without getting quotes elsewhere first.

I took advantage of the seven free days insurance when I bought my car back in September. They quote you as part of the process, it came out three times higher than the price I'm paying with M&S.

I got the 7 day cover before I picked up my new car, the annual policy worked out at well over £2k, I insured it elsewhere for just over £400, not sure why they are so uncompetitive. The salesman said he'd never known any of his customers take out an annual policy with them as the quotes are always crazy.

Cripes, where do you live - Aleppo ?

Make sure you're comparing like for like, MB for instance includes most of the things Aviva charge extra for and also charge you extra if you want an MB body shop to repair your car rather than their in-house repair shop.

You can always get it a lot cheaper if you buy a mickey mouse policy from someone who just rebadges a second rate company's insurance but you have to decide if you're buying it for the cover or just to make your car road legal. Plenty of stories on here of people who went for the former and then bitched when their claim didn't go their way.

Many years ago (starting when I purchased my very first Mercedes Benz) I took out insurance with Mercedes Insurance. Back then they were very competitive with the added bonus that any Windscreen or Bodywork repairs could be taken care of at your local MB dealership.

I had my windscreen replaced at my local dealership which was done using original MB windscreen. No hassle.

But sadly those were the good old days, and now days I am finding that Mercedes Insurance are quoting premiums 2 to 3 times what LV.com are quoting me at renewal time! My last quote, albeit a few years ago, was something like £750 vs LV.com renewal quote of £230.

Insurers tend to operate through a series if sales channels. to achieve the optimum mix they have to control these channels. It's not practical to turn them on and off so, instead, use pricing to increase/decrease the flow. This is one reason why you sometimes see extraordinarily cheap or expensive quotes.

Boring but true.

Same for me with c250 estate. Admiral with £100 excess was £300. Mercedes Insure £400 excess just shy of £900.

Same for me with c250 estate. Admiral with £100 excess was £300. Mercedes Insure £400 excess just shy of £900.

Jeez how many years NCD do you have?

Admiral just quoted me £1000 ish and the cheapest quote I got was around £800....

I took advantage of the seven free days insurance when I bought my car back in September. They quote you as part of the process, it came out three times higher than the price I'm paying with M&S.
When I took the seven days MB then quoted for the year and it came out around £20 more and I accepted. The following year when it came up for renewal it had more than doubled to over £1000 per year. When I queried this with them I was told that the normal price should have been £1500 and they had given me a loyalty discount??
Needless to say I went elsewhere for £425.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom