Mercedes-Benz is 3rd in list of UK's top brands (and BMW is 7th!)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BTB 500

MB Club Veteran
SUPPORTER
Car
R129 SL500, W639 Vito 120, S205 C300
Top 10 brands in the UK:

1: Google
2: Microsoft
3: Mercedes-Benz
4: BBC
5: British Airways
6: Royal Doulton
7: BMW
8: Bosch
9: Nike
10: Sony

"Members compiled a list of more than 1,000 brands according to quality, reliability and distinctiveness and this was then passed on for consumers to rate."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7516343.stm

That survery looks a load of pants... where did Royal Doulton come into it ???

You would think Apple or similar would be in there rather than a pottery company...

It's a shame MB aren't this high up on the JD Power survey!

Coca Cola......

I'd like to see the parameters around which this was compiled.

I still find it hard to believe that Royal Doulton are in the top 10.

Realistically how many under 35s have ever heard of Royal Doulton or did the survery take place in Staffordshire or another similar potteries county ?

Perhaps Wedgewood and spode will crack the top 10 next year.... or will Waterford Crystal make a surprise comeback..

But it wasn't a survey of popular products, it was a survey of brand perception. Furthermore, it wasn't a survey of brand value (i.e. worth), either.

Therefore, it is reasonable that Royal Doulton would be in with as much chance of the top slot as google.

"Members compiled a list of more than 1,000 brands according to quality, reliability and distinctiveness and this was then passed on for consumers to rate."

Microsoft? Quality, reliability and distinctiveness?

Did they include a free urine test?:confused:

I still find it hard to believe that Royal Doulton are in the top 10.

Realistically how many under 35s have ever heard of Royal Doulton or did the survery take place in Staffordshire or another similar potteries county ?

Perhaps Wedgewood and spode will crack the top 10 next year.... or will Waterford Crystal make a surprise comeback..

They are not made here anymore, all from China. You can forget about Staffordshire.

What's not cool about this? Sleek, modern and cutting edge.....

Last edited:
Marketing dudes don't you just luv em? Google is a product :confused: but no Amazon, EBAY or WIKIPEDIA ???:crazy:

This is quite flawed, Royal Doulton is 250 places higher than Ikea.....

Was this survey undertaken in Selfridges crockery section on a midweek afternoon with customers only named Peneolpe and Hyacinth?

Marketing dudes don't you just luv em? Google is a product :confused: but no Amazon, EBAY or WIKIPEDIA ???:crazy:

They're brands, rather than products.

Amazon is there (position 285/500).

Ranked by "Quality, reliability & distinctiveness" according to the OP (and the Superbrands site) . Certainly Ebay and Wikipedia fall short of at least one of one of those criteria :) :devil:

This is about perception in the market - IKEA has great brand presence, but that brand represents tortuous weekends dragging around warehouse buying furniture kits from surly staff to me (and most people that I know).

Most people know Google. The same with Microsoft. The average Joe has little bad to say about such brands.

Check out the CoolBrands stuff. More controversial (in my book - Aston Martin as the coolest brand? Discuss...) for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom