Mercedes-Benz London Taxi

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jeremytaylor

MB Enthusiast
Car
E280CDI Sport Est., CLK 200k Cab., VW T5 174, Citroen C8, and a 2CV!
There was a little snippet in Auto Express (don't laugh) about how MB are developing the Vito to be a competitor in the London taxi market. By fitting rear-steering it can comply with the tight turning circle rules. But it would be much more spacious than a conventional London cab, and cheaper.

Does anyone know any more about this?

I would've thought they could get the steering lock from the new RWD Vito in SWB form without rear steering.

The PCO in London specify a turning circle of 25ft for all London taxis (not minicabs) PCO specifications
I think any Vito would need rear wheel steer to achieve this but I see another problem.
The Black cab is an Icon and like the Routemaster bus identifies with London, people from anywhere in the world see one and immediately know what it is. It's also hard to see for what other purpose it could be used. People seeing Vitos wouldn't know if it was a minicab, a delivery van or a licenced hackney carriage.
Mercedes might like the idea but I dont think the PCO or the drivers will.

I would've thought they could get the steering lock from the new RWD Vito in SWB form without rear steering.
I think it's 11 metres kerb-to-kerb, 35 feet approx.

The PCO in London specify a turning circle of 25ft for all London taxis (not minicabs) PCO specifications
I think any Vito would need rear wheel steer to achieve this but I see another problem.
The Black cab is an Icon and like the Routemaster bus identifies with London, people from anywhere in the world see one and immediately know what it is. It's also hard to see for what other purpose it could be used. People seeing Vitos wouldn't know if it was a minicab, a delivery van or a licenced hackney carriage.
Mercedes might like the idea but I dont think the PCO or the drivers will.
A whole heap of sense and I agree entirely, but what a pity these cabs are now in all different colours.

Regards
John

The Black Cab may be an icon but, like most transportation systems in this country, it's been on life support for years

I really don't understand why we have stunningly high EU standards for new cars with mandatory ABS and ESP, stringent emissions laws, crash tests & the like - which we all have to comply with - yet the standard London cab is based on something apparently from the last War

I, for one, would welcome travelling in a cab with a ride quality better than an Ox-cart and where the (useless) ventilation doesn't sound like an approaching tornado

We don't have phone boxes with button A and button B, black & white TV, stereograms or white dog poop anymore, so why do we have Black Cabs?

Nick Froome
www.w124.co.uk

I think it's 11 metres kerb-to-kerb, 35 feet approx.

I would have thought with a bit of a redseign to the rack stops and steering arms they could reduce that significantly, certainly a lot cheaper than engineering rear wheel steering.

the new engines are made by an Italian company VM Motori... the old ones were the Nissan engines..

VM! They make the Diesels in Chryslers. Rough old engines.

If they went to CDI (assuming they don't already use them) they would find them much more unreliable than the IP type engines.

I would have thought with a bit of a redseign to the rack stops and steering arms they could reduce that significantly, certainly a lot cheaper than engineering rear wheel steering.

I agree, rear-wheel steering sounds OTT.

taxi drivers look at three things:
-monthly payments
-fuel efficiency
-maintenance

Rear wheel steer is going to be a maintenence cost hike after warranty period..
These systems are always expensive to repair and maintain..

VM! They make the Diesels in Chryslers. Rough old engines.

If they went to CDI (assuming they don't already use them) they would find them much more unreliable than the IP type engines.

Later VM units are indeed CR.

taxi drivers look at three things:
-monthly payments
-fuel efficiency
-maintenance

Rear wheel steer is going to be a maintenence cost hike after warranty period..
These systems are always expensive to repair and maintain..

Yes, and the main thing is, obviously cost. Which is why the drivers are pretty hacked off with the current taxis. I remember Peugeot Citroen tried to muscle in on the market a few years ago with their van/minibuses but the PCO wouldn't relax the turning circle rules. A lot of drivers wanted the relaxation because they could see how much less the capital costs would be.

I don't see why a well engineered rear-steer should be that troublesome.

As to the 'icon' arguement, well London is the only city (in the world?) with specific taxis. All other countries worldwide use normal saloons/MPVs without a problem, and as the Routemaster is now history, why not black cabs too?

Yes, and the main thing is, obviously cost. Which is why the drivers are pretty hacked off with the current taxis. I remember Peugeot Citroen tried to muscle in on the market a few years ago with their van/minibuses but the PCO wouldn't relax the turning circle rules. A lot of drivers wanted the relaxation because they could see how much less the capital costs would be.

British made London taxis are an icon that last for years.

Vitos are about worn out by the time they're 3 years old.

Cheapness is not everything.

Just to add that I saw one of these Vito Taxis on the Strand this morning (08 reg.)

Back was badged "Vito Taxi" on the left and "111 CDI" on the right, normal black cab colour scheme :D with the usual pod at the top of the windscreen to show whether for hire or not. It also had a fixed step by the rear (sliding) door.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom