Mercedes-Benz London Taxi

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I read last week that the Vito taxi now has a 40% market share in the UK.

An extract from the link,

The supplier was a Chinese firm introduced by Manganese's Chinese partner Geely.

Manganese and Geely signed a joint venture agreement in 2006 and own a factory in Shanghai that produces taxis for the international market.

They're made in China now, only final assembly takes place in Coventry, supposedly the only part made in the UK is the exhaust.

Yup, cabbies just love driving rusty vehicles :rolleyes:

I work at Heathrow and over the last 4 years have seen a rise in black cabs from a few Vitos to about 30%....!

They build them just down the road from me, nice job they make.
Must be a row of 10 or more ready to go every day.

Its healthy that there is now competition in the taxi market. Since the demise of Metrocab, LTI have it pretty easy going until the introduction of the Vitos what with no other alternative out there (for the London market anyway).

Can't stand the LTI taxis anyway. Dreadfully uncomfortable suspension, almost like it doesn't have any. You feel every lump and bump on the road and each one crashes through the cabin.

Last edited:
One of my mates picked his Vito up on Saturday. He has had 3 new TXI's but all have been un-reliable so it is time to tell.

Another friend rents, so he always gets new (ish) models. He says that the company owner is now buying Vito's.

Nissan have a new black cab about to come out:

Nissan reveals new London taxi | Autocar

This will under-cut the Vito, so should be interesting to see what happens.

I didn't realise until I read the above article that cabs now cannot be licensed any more once they reach 15 years old.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom