Mercedes-Benz Museum, Stuttgart

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BTB 500

MB Club Veteran
SUPPORTER
Car
R129 SL500, W639 Vito 120, S205 C300
We went to the M-B Museum in Stuttgart on Saturday, 9 years since our last visit.

Some interesting changes (I think, or possibly things I didn't notice last time!). They had a number of cars displayed in glass cases in the car park! Plus we had a wander round the "Classic Center" where various older models are for sale ... from 'everyday' R129 and W124 estate to 'exotic' CLK Le Mans car!

Slide show of some pics here:

2015 Visit Slideshow by BillG | Photobucket

The ones from my first visit in 2006:

MB Museum Slideshow by BillG | Photobucket

Thanks for the update. I last visited in 2007. Looks like some good changes.

Thanks for that Bill. An interesting mix of vehicles! Any idea what that rocket motor was for?

Many thanks Bill, hope to see you on Sunday.

The displays in the car park have been there for a few years now - certainly there in '09 when I visited.

Brilliant - on my list of places to visit. GTG anyone?

When I visited, we also had a tour of the engine factory by a recently retired shop foreman, Heinrich. All the workers knew him so we got a close up look at everything.
I was greatly impressed with the precision work and the cleanliness of the worksites.
Not a drop of grease or oil anywhere.

Thanks for that Bill. An interesting mix of vehicles! Any idea what that rocket motor was for?

It was used in the '60s to propel cars into barriers & ramps for crash testing - previously they used a cable to pull them. It was described as a 'hot water rocket' - basically they filled it 3/4 full with water, heated it to 260C, then opened the dump valve on the back! This was enough to accelerate a car up to approx. 100 kph - the rocket sled then stopped, so the car carried on alone. They later added a solid rocket booster on the top for extra power :)

When I visited, we also had a tour of the engine factory by a recently retired shop foreman, Heinrich. All the workers knew him so we got a close up look at everything.
I was greatly impressed with the precision work and the cleanliness of the worksites.
Not a drop of grease or oil anywhere.

We tried to do a factory tour but they were booked up till well after the end of our trip. Something for next time!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom