Mercedes-Benz SLK - Common issues / things to look for?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

azibux1

Car
car
Hi all,

As above, looking at an SLK250 for a family member

The one in question is a 2012, 26.6k mile example

SLK250 CDI BlueEFFICIENCY AMG Sport 7G-Tronic Plus

Questions (if someone may know the answer, haven't got round to visiting the dealer yet):
- Do they have sat nav, heated seats and/or parking sensors as standard?
- Any things to look out for / possible major problems?

• Check the MOT history on line, any fails, what on? Also is mileage consistent?
  • View Log book - how many owners?
  • Ask to see a 'STAR' service history - all MB services are logged on-line. if its not an MB dealer selling ask your local MB Dealer/Indie to look it up on STAR. Are the mileages right, has it missed any services?
  • At 26k miles it will be due a gearbox oil & filter + rear axle oil change in around 10k miles - if you buy DONT skip that.
  • 2012 / 26k miles it should be absolutely pristine.
Sorry I cant offer more specific items to look out for.

Oh there is a site that lets you enter a chassis number to generate a specification list so you can see what options it had on leaving the factory when new, will post link tonight.

Last edited:
Hi all,

As above, looking at an SLK250 for a family member

The one in question is a 2012, 26.6k mile example

SLK250 CDI BlueEFFICIENCY AMG Sport 7G-Tronic Plus

Questions (if someone may know the answer, haven't got round to visiting the dealer yet):
- Do they have sat nav, heated seats and/or parking sensors as standard?
- Any things to look out for / possible major problems?

If you post the VIN we can tell you exactly what was installed at factory.

My wife loves her SLK - cannot get the grin from her face!

My wife has a 2013 version and none of those are standard. Comes with prep for Becker sat nav but not much else.

Parking sensors/Comand/heated seats are all options as stated above.
We had a 2013 AMG line which had the parking sensors & heated seats already spec'd by the supplying dealer.
We added a Becker sat nav bought on ebay for about half the price the main dealer wanted. Becker is not the best sat nav in the world but it does integrate nicely.

Thanks for all responses

The last service was 3k miles ago in June

No parking sensors, heated seats or nav... Mercedes say they can supply the box for nav for £500 all in...

Just need to have a think and decide if that's the car to go for or something else

Thanks again :)

If you like all year top down driving get heated seats and air scarf-they're a must have!:cool:

If you like all year top down driving get heated seats and air scarf-they're a must have!:cool:
Agreed :thumb:

Options can make or break an SLK as a year round usable top down car. As there are plenty out there with the good options, I'd pass on that one and look elsewhere.

If you post the VIN we can tell you exactly what was installed at factory.

My wife loves her SLK - cannot get the grin from her face!

That grin is the rictus of SPEEEEEED, Gollum, I know, I've tried to keep up with her!

Market is flooded with 250 CDI, so it should be no problem finding one with more spec. Definitely airscarf and heated seats. Comand Online might be problem, not very popular option on 250CDI which were mostly leased vehicles. You can buy Becker on Ebay and use that.

Car was collected today

Thanks for all the advice. May seem like I've gone against the majority but it will very rarely be used by the family member in convertible form so the seats / air scarf are a non-issue and the price was good for the mileage and age

Will be sure to get the rear axle oil change done when needed

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom