Mercedes-Benz SPLITVIEW Screen Technology + S-CLASS facelift

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KillerHERTZ

Administrator
Staff member
Car
SL63 AMG
Innovative SPLITVIEW technology: Mercedes-Benz S-Class: two programmes on a screen

In future Mercedes-Benz is equipping its luxury class models as the first premium brand with a display screen that allows the driver and front passenger to view two different programmes at the same time. While the driver is checking the navigation instructions, the front passenger can sit back and watch a film on the very same display. This is made possible by new SPLITVIEW technology which the Stuttgart premium brand is introducing in the S-Class for the first time.

Mercedes-Benz has integrated the new SPLITVIEW technology developed by Mercedes-Benz and Bosch into the innovative control and display system COMAND, which is centrally located in the dashboard console. Its generously dimensioned, 8-inch (approx. 20 mm) monitor shows a backlighted active matrix colour display (TFT-LCD). This shows two different images simultaneously by placing pixels adjacent to each other. A filter masking the display divides this mixed image in such a way that depending on the seating position, only the pixels making up one or the other image can be seen. As a result, the driver and front passenger can view different programmes on the same screen at the same time.

The driver still has access to all the information from the control and display system COMAND on the display, while the front passenger uses the remote control to choose his own entertainment programme with DVDs, TV channels or music videos. To avoid distracting the driver with his entertainment programme, he also has the option of enjoying the programme via headphones. As before, the driver is able to view all the information provided by the COMAND system on the display.

Mercedes-Benz is introducing the new SPLITVIEW technology in the S-Class for the first time in summer 2009.

Id be more concerned as to why its so dark at 3mins past 2 :) (see dash clock)

mercedes-benz-splitview-screen-technology.jpg

2010 Mercedes S-Class Facelift Spied in White

2010-mercedes-s-class-facelift-spy-photo.jpg

2010-mercedes-s-class-facelift-spy-photo_3.jpg

2010-mercedes-s-class-facelift-spy-photo_5.jpg

It looks like they are going through an underpass/tunnel. Most European countries require lights on when going through tunnels.

Of course, it's probably just a mock-up with a superimposed picture!

And to think, video in motion is dangerous enough already without having to lean over to the passenger side to watch Britney Spears.

surely when we get it, we will have to look over the the passenger side to see the route, and we can happily watch Britney whilst allowing the car to avoid our accidents for us?

And to think, video in motion is dangerous enough already without having to lean over to the passenger side to watch Britney Spears.

I love this about modern day cars. Millions are spent making them safter by R&D and by developing new materials. But meanwhile they also spend millions developing technology to distract us so we end up being more likely crash them.

Honestly, are people incapable of just sitting still and being a passanger in a car and maybe just look out the window and see whats going on around them, or heaven forbid actually talk to the other passangers and driver. As for the driver, I can see how satnav etc is an aid, but really his eyes should be on the road, and in oberservation of whats going on, trying to anticipate whats going to happen next.....

Who'd want to see a film on a screen that size anyway? Surely it would be nicer to wait and get home (alive as the driver hasn't been distracted) and watch it on a screen of a proper size.

I think a luzury car is about comfort, safety, and effortless performance in my mind. Gadgets like this take away from the safety, add nothing to the comfort in my mind (as I'd rather view films/TV on a proper screen) and this adds weight, detracting from the performance.

I love this about modern day cars. Millions are spent making them safter by R&D and by developing new materials. But meanwhile they also spend millions developing technology to distract us so we end up being more likely crash them.

Honestly, are people incapable of just sitting still and being a passanger in a car and maybe just look out the window and see whats going on around them, or heaven forbid actually talk to the other passangers and driver. As for the driver, I can see how satnav etc is an aid, but really his eyes should be on the road, and in oberservation of whats going on, trying to anticipate whats going to happen next.....

Who'd want to see a film on a screen that size anyway? Surely it would be nicer to wait and get home (alive as the driver hasn't been distracted) and watch it on a screen of a proper size.

I think a luzury car is about comfort, safety, and effortless performance in my mind. Gadgets like this take away from the safety, add nothing to the comfort in my mind (as I'd rather view films/TV on a proper screen) and this adds weight, detracting from the performance.

well actually , its pretty cool watching a movie on comand :) ive yet to have a passenger in the car who's reaction isnt " thats amazing" so there :p

well actually , its pretty cool watching a movie on comand :) ive yet to have a passenger in the car who's reaction isnt " thats amazing" so there :p

Its just novelty factor, the real qualities of your car are more fundamental, its the ride, comort, space and performance and RWD fun. Yes I'd be impressed with the fact your car can play DVDs but I couldn't help but think the outlay on COMAND (for the new car buyer) could have got you an ACE home entertainment system and I also would be impatient for you to start the engine and take me for a drive.

Think of it another way, I invite you round to watch a film, and I give you a option, where do you want to watch it, in my TV room or sit out in the drive and watch the DVD in the car. Surely you'd go for the TV room option.

If I wanted to wow someone with my car, I'd take 'em over the road to Faslane from Loch Lomand. No DVD required ;):p

[*]
If I wanted to wow someone with my car, I'd take 'em over the road to Faslane from Loch Lomand. No DVD required ;):p

Very true - it's one of the reasons I'm not that fussy about spec when I buy my cars as long as the price reflects the spec. It's an E class. As a driver it doesn't matter whether it has a TV or not.

I reckon you would get a crick in your neck, watching a whole movie on a screen that is offset to one side.... Maybe the Comand system is also fitted with Cricktronic, though...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom