Mercedes Benz Three Pointed Star getting thinner

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

merc85

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
CLK 500
Is it me or has the Mercedes Benz Star got thinner as the cars got newer?

90812658_2983160095082225_1951720533296939008_n.jpg

Ps i've no idea what year or model the above is

You’re correct Gav. They definitely have over the years and not the same quality either.

The star on the 600 ( which I suspect the photo might be , although nothing of the car is shown ) was always bigger and thicker than lesser models of the time .

The star on the 600 ( which I suspect the photo might be , although nothing of the car is shown ) was always bigger and thicker than lesser models of the time .

...and grille stars used to be made of metal back in the day..

Just picked one of these up from Spain . Will fit is in the next few days . At the moment the car is coverd over for the winter .One reason i purchased this so i can take it off easy so the cover sits on the car not the star emblem. Also in the future it wont be removed by some low life .And i must say the quality is seciond to none . Top star is original but the base is aftermarket so the seller said . Price to the door £110 . Well worth it,,kiki.jpg potrr.jpg so i know i wont need another for years to come .

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

My 300SEL 6.3 Grill and Star was very Impressive :D

Star is made of Mazac on old MBs.
Mazac is the British version of the German Zamak, surely MB stars would be of Zamak as manufactured in Germany?

I imagine that new ones are also designed thinner to snap off if a pedestrian goes over your bonnet, that old one looks like you’d come off as 3 filleted strips :eek:
I think the safety factor is the emblem is designed to fold over, rather than snap, which would expose dangerously sharp edges/points?

Mazak, Zamak same alloy, very difficult to re-chrome.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom