Mercedes-Benz UK.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

John

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Skateboard
Has anyone actually escalated issues to MB UK and actually got anywhere?

Or are they just as awful as some of bad dealers of which there are plenty and not worth trying?

I seem to remember anecdotal tails of being referred to the dealer in question.

Basically to do with things an MB dealer said were done which turned not to be the case on an "Approved" Used Car.

I think a lot of the dealers operate as franchises, and are therefore responsible themselves for the standards of cars that they sell.

MB UK might be able to help pull some strings but it won’t have been their fault if stuff wasn’t picked up or done by one particular garage. Nor will it be their responsibility if it’s not a manufacturing issue or new car warranty type of thing.

What’s the problem you are having?

How did you pay for the car, was any part of it (even a deposit) by credit card? You could ask them to help perhaps if the dealer isn’t playing ball.

I would keep trying with the selling dealer first though, if it’s a black and white issue I would make that clear to them and explain firmly, reasonably and politely what your expected outcome is.

Reactions: 219
From what I read on here, there is no recompense from MB UK in such cases. This remains a commercial issues between yourself and the selling dealer. You are protected by various generic legislation such as the Consumer Rights Act 2015, Consumer Protection Act 1987, Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act (if the deposit was paid by Credit Card), or you could just contact your local Trading Standards office. In addition you could sue the dealer for breach of contract if applicable. Or embark on a social media campaign. But I doubt that MB UK will take interest or step-in.

Said that, I did not have any direct dealing with MB UK myself, so perhaps some who did might wish to comment.

Thanks MJ.

It's sorted actually - mix up on what part was what.

I don't think the agreed replacement parts were documented - just word of mouth so not worth the paper that agreement was (not) written on!

That was quick!

I have found that MB will simply side with the dealer even when they are wrong.

The dealer (service assistant) insisted that the roof seals were not covered by warranty on the Mrs' SLK, MB UK agreed with the dealer, actually I ended up speaking to their service guys in the netherlands which cost a few quid when I missed their call and called them back.

Eventually the service manager locally agreed that the seals were, in fact, covered and they carried out the work under warranty.

The same dealer also claimed to have no knowledge of MOT cover until I made a fuss.

Reactions: 219
I have twice excalated a claim from local dealer to MBUK CS, both times paintwork related. first was bubbling along the bottom of both OS doors of a 7 1/2 year old S203 with full MB main dealer service history, they offered 10% towards the £800 cost of repair. Second was ealier this year with lifting lacquer on my S204, they were not in the slightest interested. I'd describe MBUK CS as being as sympathetic as a proctologist with a badly swollen finger!:mad::mad:

You can get MBUK to help but it’s hard work and you do have to keep escalating within MBUK. Also there’s a fine line with them between being firm and them thinking you are going legal as that makes them batten down the hatches

With the problem with my S204 lacquer lifting I told MBUK that I would have the repair done (which I will sometime soon, £600 for a complete bonnet and roof respray) and would then consider a small claims court case against them for the cost of the repair, it made no difference, they did not even reply!

With the problem with my S204 lacquer lifting I told MBUK that I would have the repair done (which I will sometime soon, £600 for a complete bonnet and roof respray) and would then consider a small claims court case against them for the cost of the repair, it made no difference, they did not even reply!
I’m not sure they could reply to your email about bringing a claim in case they prejudice themselves later. I wonder what would happen if you did bring the small claim? Maybe:
1. They pay up as the claim is smaller than the cost of fighting it
Or
2. They defend it (maybe via an in-house lawyer for low cost to them) to avoid setting a precedent - perhaps leading to costs for you if it escalates

MB have historically fought these cases, their pockets are very deep. Many cases simply fold as the costs escalate for the complainant.

Remember the guy that used to post here from Covent garden, he lost the lot fighting MB.

Vaguely remember this epic tale, sounded very stressful. Was there not some sort of vaguely positive outcome albeit after many years though?

Vaguely remember this epic tale, sounded very stressful. Was there not some sort of vaguely positive outcome albeit after many years though?
Yep, he eventually stopped re posting the sorry saga of his immense stubbornness on here:D.

He even started to PM the lengthy story to members.

Is there a link to this Covent garden story? Slightly interested in what went on?

The Dealer Principal's are kings in the eyes of MBUK.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom