Mercedes-Benz Winter Wheel & Tyre Promotion 2011

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
You're money has all been well spent! The difference is quite amazing.

Roll on the winter :)

Chrishazle said:
What's "work"???:dk::dk:

I decided to retire rather early - 8 years ago, and still have to wait another 4+ years for my bus pass!!

Last year the main drag through our village was cleared pretty quickly, but our close was not - so I had hell getting the car off the driveway and the 300 yards to the main drag. Even worse was trying to get the beast turned round so I could reverse into the driveway when we got back - had quite a few of our neighbours out with shovels etc to help!

At least I have the old set of wheel bolts (as well as lockers) so my nice new ones will not get salted.

Well if your not working you can wake up and look forward to the fun you can have in the snow.

Just ordered my set from the local dealer. They said they are expecting delivery late next week. I won't swap them over until end of October.

Still no call back from my dealer.

Winter tyres and snow chains

Just to tag on to the end of this thread, my Portsmouth MB dealer has stated that as a result of recent meetings a German chap from MB corporate they will be initiating the winter tyre swap and storage scheme. As yet no prices, but when I asked whether I would be able to stick some 16incher steel wheels on my 2009 E250cdi avantgarde to replace the existing 18inch wheels, he was adamant that this would not be mechanically possible "due to the large callipers", and that I would need to stick 18 inchers on. This sounds unlikely to me. Is he correct? Is there any problem with sourcing 16 inch steels for the car.

On a side note, the manual states that the 235/35/18 wheels cannot be fit with snow chains. The dealership admits to having no knowledge in this regard. Has anyone any experiences of exceptions to this, like the Trak or Spider chains?

Just for context, we don't get a lot of snow in Hampshire but we're near Grenoble for 2 weeks over Christmas and might get lucky or unlucky with the snow.

Last edited:
I saw one of the new model E's yesterday with 16" wheels, albeit alloys.

Just to tag on to the end of this thread, my Portsmouth MB dealer has stated that as a result of recent meetings a German chap from MB corporate they will be initiating the winter tyre swap and storage scheme. As yet no prices, but when I asked whether I would be able to stick some 16incher steel wheels on my 2009 E250cdi avantgarde to replace the existing 18inch wheels, he was adamant that this would not be mechanically possible "due to the large callipers", and that I would need to stick 18 inchers on. This sounds unlikely to me. Is he correct? Is there any problem with sourcing 16 inch steels for the car.

On a side note, the manual states that the 235/35/18 wheels cannot be fit with snow chains. The dealership admits to having no knowledge in this regard. Has anyone any experiences of exceptions to this, like the Trak or Spider chains?

Just for context, we don't get a lot of snow in Hampshire but we're near Grenoble for 2 weeks over Christmas and might get lucky or unlucky with the snow.

I have just sold on ebay a set of steel wheels with 16 inch Bridgestone winter tyres. They were 7J x 16 inch and ET37. They went fine on my E250cdi Sport and cleared the calipers with ease and with no need for spacers. They really made the car driveable as in snow with the 18 inch AMGs on the car would not move!! Bought them from Mytyres for £492.80 and they just sold for £411.27!! Tread was at 7.5mm so plenty of life left although winters are only good to 4mm I have read.

I have just ordered a set for my W211 E320cdi Sport for £522.40 with Nankang SV2 winter tyres.

The W212 is not listed on Mytyres so you need to play around with different Merc cars to get a near fit which is what I did.

biggusmickus said:
...but when I asked whether I would be able to stick some 16incher steel wheels on my 2009 E250cdi avantgarde to replace the existing 18inch wheels, he was adamant that this would not be mechanically possible "due to the large callipers"
Complete carp. Check the manual where you'll find that 16's with the correct offset are fine on not only the W212 E250CDI but also the E350CDI.

What is the best price anyone has got on the 17" combo and also what wheels are available? I'm not sure to get the C350CDi until December but I'm considering getting the winter wheels now to be ready.

So having been in the US for a week, and still no call back from my dealer, I called them again. Spoke to the same girl who had little idea what I was talking about and took all the details again. She said she'd call another branch to see if they had any!

I feel jealous of the people who have decent dealers - I can't believe how utterly useless mine has been.

Just spoken to MB Ashford and ordered a set of 16" alloys with Dunlop winter tyres for my W203 C270 - £799.01, plus they will store my summer wheels for me. RESULT! Aparently Lookers (who own MB Ashford, Maidstone etc) are getting a load of winter wheels in for Kent.

Do you know which style of wheel you'll be getting? The only thing my dealer could tell me is they definitely wouldn't be the same as the ones already fitted, which is a shame: Mercedes alloy wheels | Genuine new 16" Mercedes 5 spoke | fits Mercedes C Class Estate S203 | Alloy Wheels Direct Ltd

After denying they were getting any, the service advisor rang back and said she looked at some and they were all either Dunlop or Pirelli. :wallbash: I'm off to buy a BMW!

I would definatly contact MB Bedford for a price. Just ask for the Parts Supervisor Graham (I think)

Called and spoke to Graham who was very helpful. He said Mercedes no longer have the 17" wheels in stock, they have sold out so they can only offer the 16" option. He doesn't know if Mercedes will get any more in stock in the coming weeks/months.

The 17" with Dunlop tyres would have been £1299.

He also said the 16" wheels will fit the lkatest C350CDi fine. Is that true?

anyone had an idea how much a set of winter tyres would be for 19inch wheels pls

Re Mercedes-Benz Winter Wheel & Tyre Promotion 2011

We went through all this last year for a W212 E250CDI and a W169 A160CDI - perhaps some of our experiences might help.
The first problem was that knowledge of winter wheel/tyre packages was fairly sparse in UK dealerships and not a lot better at MB UK.

Everything on offer is based on a winter wheel/tyre pricelist available in German dealerships, currently:
"Winterreifen und Kompletträder für Ihren Mercedes."
"Preisliste Herbst/Winter 2011/2012 von Ihrem Mercedes-Benz Service."

The latest version of this can usually be usually be found as a pdf on the website of major dealerships such as Mercedes-Benz, Mannheim. Fair enough it's in german, but most of it such as part numbers, are fairly obvious.

It's mainly about selling alloy wheels with winter tyres already installed on them (Kompletträder) for for less than the combined cost of the individual items.
They also sell individual tyres (Reifen), and for some vehicles, steel wheels with tyres. Be aware that for some tyres or wheel/tyre combinations with directional tread, there are 2 part numbers, one for each side of the vehicle.

Orders are generally taken from early September to early November as most winter tyres are apparently only manufactured during October and November. Last year MB UK was very late in advertising its winter wheels and took a lot of agro because quite a few customer orders were then very late in arriving or too late to be fulfilled.

MB UK in its wisdom seems to select a subset of the german pricelist for the UK market. So where a german customer could have a choice of up to 3 or 4 different tyres for a particular wheel, the UK customer might see only 1 or 2. Also the best deals don't seem to make it to the UK - surprise, surprise!

Regarding our own situation, for summer motoring the E250 has the standard 17" Avantgarde wheels and the A160 has 16" 7-spoke Elegance wheels. I really wanted to order 18" and 17" wheels but although they look great, they can have a much harder ride. So with the state of some of our local roads, common sense had to prevail.

For the same reason, when it came to ordering winter tyres capable of dealing with winter potholes, we went for 16" 6-spoke wheels for the E250 and 15" wheels for the A160. We are now absolutely sure that we made the right decision. Both the ride and the road holding are superb.

For the technically minded, for us there were no problems in downsizing the wheels on either car. For both cars the smaller wheels go on just as easily as the larger ones. I would however warn people with sports versions of either car to check very carefully before trying a smaller version of a wheel as their braking gear can often be larger.

Another point for those with wider wheels at the back, Mercedes often specify the front size of wheels all round for winter use. Also for those with very large wheels, they can specify a smaller size for winter use. If you've seen how some of these large wide wheels can slither around on snow and ice you'll understand why.

Again for the sceptics, winter tyres are for winter use. They are not the same as the studded snow and ice tyres used in Scandinavia. The rubber on ordinary tyres goes very hard below around 10°C and starts to lose grip. Winter tyres are made of softer rubber and grip much better in cold conditions. Conversely, if you left your winter tyres on in the summer they would wear more quickly because they are softer at those temperatures.
Ed

Web address for pdf:
http://www.mannheim.mercedes-benz.d... Mercedes-Benz Mannheim-Heidelberg-Landau.pdf

MB UK in its wisdom seems to select a subset of the german pricelist for the UK market. So where a german customer could have a choice of up to 3 or 4 different tyres for a particular wheel, the UK customer might see only 1 or 2. Also the best deals don't seem to make it to the UK - surprise, surprise!

Thanks for posting that - *really* useful information! I was particularly looking for the style of wheels available so the pictures are great, although some of the wheels listed for my car (W203) don't have pictures -Doh! Real shame they don't offer the same 16" wheels as already on my car though - a new set at a discounted price would have been handy!

From another comment on here, and from talking to my dealer, it does sound like MB have issued sets of these wheels to a nominated garage (or possibly multiple garages) within each dealer group. My dealer said they didn't know what they were getting - they just turn up! Most bizzare. Maybe it's some kind of backside covering by MB - they can claim to have made winter tyres available if anyone complains about MB's & snow.

Spoke to local dealer about winter footwear for my GL , told not available as part of the deal.

Having checked the Mannheim link I don't think I'd have been interested anyway.

I bought Pirelli Ice and Snow for £240 each, Mannheim site lists 344 euros. Not a good deal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom