Mercedes-Benz Winter Wheel & Tyre Promotion 2011

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Spoke to local dealer about winter footwear for my GL , told not available as part of the deal.

Having checked the Mannheim link I don't think I'd have been interested anyway.

I bought Pirelli Ice and Snow for £240 each, Mannheim site lists 344 euros. Not a good deal.

You are absolutely right, you do need to look at the competition before making a decision.

Mercedes prices in Germany last year had to be competive as everyone was buying winter wheels and they didn't want to be left out. This was due to the tightning of the law and the stricter requirements of the insurers.

This year their german prices seem to be about 10-15% above the ones for last year, though this is hidden by them offering a different selection of wheels for some vehickes.

Because of the big drop in the pound against the euro, UK prices are still less than the german ones. Perhaps MB is nervous about raising UK prices too quickly and stalling the UK market. Also, if you push, you can probably get 5-10% off the UK prices but they might then get a bit touchy about storing your other set through the winter.

For tyres only, you did particularly well to get the Pirellis at £240!

For those wanting wheels + tyres, AlloyWheelsDirect.net are are doing some very good prices (£297 + £188 for yours) and are certainly worth checking against the MB UK prices.

I just been quoted £1200 from my local dealer for the 17" alloys below with Dunlop SP Winter 3D MO tyres and storage of the summers.

They are expecting the alloys/tyres in 2 weeks. I think I will go for these.

Just ordered myself a set too! Thanks for the contact details Hitman, they had stock about to arrive and were cheaper than my local dealers.

There is a good review of the Dunlop's here:
http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/products/total_tyre_guide/259474/dunlop_sp_winter_sport_4d.html

Last edited:
Well Lister's in Boston have quoted me the following when I asked about the winter wheel/tyre promotion.

[FONT=&quot]235/35/19 CONTI MUD AND SNOW [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]£335 EACH FULL FITTED INC VAT[/FONT]

this is for my C63 with the optional 19inch rims.....no sign of a winter wheel swap though...

[FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]

Well Lister's in Boston have quoted me the following when I asked about the winter wheel/tyre promotion.

[FONT=&quot]235/35/19 CONTI MUD AND SNOW [/FONT]

this is for my C63 with the optional 19inch rims.....no sign of a winter wheel swap though...

Check mytyres - much better value winter tyres available. I have my Vredesteins on order.

Can anyone confirm if the 16" wheels will fit a w204 c220 sport?

Great, I currently have 18" wheels and was going to buy 17's to put winter tyres onto, but 16's will work out a lot cheaper..

Great, I currently have 18" wheels and was going to buy 17's to put winter tyres onto, but 16's will work out a lot cheaper..
Yeah I had 16" wheels with winters on my last car and the tyres were a LOT cheaper, 205/55/16 when compared to 225/45/17 can be £50 per tyre less.

I rang my local dealers today and they told me that MB states that the 16" wheels aren't recommended for the Sport due to brake caliper clearance problems? Does anyone know if they are just trying to sell me the more expensive 17" set up or do the 16"s really not fit. I don't have access to a 16 to try..

[FONT=&quot]235/35/19 CONTI MUD AND SNOW [/FONT]

Bear in mind that the M&S (Mud and Snow tyre) are an all year round tyre and not a snow/winter specific tyre. M&S tyres (Eg Pirelli Scorpion ST) are OE fitment on a lot of SUV's. You can get a variant with a snowflake on which should be better than some M&S tyres. Just make sure you are getting what you want if you do order this type of tyre in preference to snow/winters like Conti TS380, Goodyear Ultragrip etc.

[FONT=&quot]235/35/19 CONTI MUD AND SNOW [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]

Have they at last got some prices then? I gave up asking.

BTW is that just for the tyres or does that include the rims?

I rang my local dealers today and they told me that MB states that the 16" wheels aren't recommended for the Sport due to brake caliper clearance problems? Does anyone know if they are just trying to sell me the more expensive 17" set up or do the 16"s really not fit. I don't have access to a 16 to try..

In the manual (and the online version) it shows what wheels are approved for the car.

For the C220 CDI SALOON it says the the smallest wheel tyre combination is

205/55 R1 6 91 H M+S

7.0 J x 16 H2 ET 43

For the C350CDI SALOON it says

225/45 R17 91 H M+S

7.5 J x 17 H2 ET 47

So one has to assume that the C220 has smaller brakes than the C350.

All of this is printed in your manual and is also on the online interactive manual so no need for guess work. Apparently the approved sizes for your car are printed in the inside of your fuel filler cap.

Thanks the manual certainly shows 16" listed for the C220 CDI - but has a Sport larger front brakes? Is this why my dealer is telling me they won't fit. I don't want to source a set of 16"s to find they won't clear my calipers.

Has anyone got 16" wheels on a Sport?

In the manual (and the online version) it shows what wheels are approved for the car.

For the C220 CDI SALOON it says the the smallest wheel tyre combination is

205/55 R1 6 91 H M+S

7.0 J x 16 H2 ET 43

For the C350CDI SALOON it says

225/45 R17 91 H M+S

7.5 J x 17 H2 ET 47

So one has to assume that the C220 has smaller brakes than the C350.

All of this is printed in your manual and is also on the online interactive manual so no need for guess work. Apparently the approved sizes for your car are printed in the inside of your fuel filler cap.

Smaller brakes or is it not recommended due to traction issues as you have less rubber :dk:

I would contact the dealer if they recommend them for a vehicle and have got it wrong it is there problem surely.

Has anyone got their rims and tyres yet from MB?

I was one of those who ordered my rims and tyres from MB early on. I was quoted 3 weeks. 3 weeks was last week. Has anyone received any news from the dealerships to say the wheels and rims are now in?:dk:

It should be any day now.

(I still have a set of Michelin Alpins A4 tyres in 16" (without rims) sitting at Costco just in case MB screw up. Ordered these in June when the 20% deal was on :thumb:)

Ordered mine 2 1/2 weeks ago (and paid £200 deposit!), was told "about 2 weeks" - phoned today, no-one available in Parts, let me take your number and we'll call back (MB Ashford). Guess what - no call back!

Ordered mine 2 1/2 weeks ago (and paid £200 deposit!), was told "about 2 weeks" - phoned today, no-one available in Parts, let me take your number and we'll call back (MB Ashford). Guess what - no call back!

Give them a reasonable chance to get them for you but if you find things slipping really badly give customer service a ring on the 0207 number.

You will find yourself talking to a very polite helpfull person in Holland who will follow things up for you. You will be surprised how quickly MB UK and your local dealer hear about it from the top downwards.

Despite very strong promotional activity by MB.....MB Oxford were singularly unhelpful.
I have ordered from Event Tyres 4no. 255/45 R17 98V Pirellis for delivery within 6 weeks at £960......if there is delivery slippage I will be able to switch to Continentals at £1010 which I could have had in about 10 days from now.
I have a spare set of Homans and plenty of storage space so MB's storage and wheel element of what was being offered was not of interest to me anyway.

Mic

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom