Mercedes branded engine oil

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kam09

MB Enthusiast
Car
E350cdi coupe sport obs black
Guys, interestingly I have come across some "Genuine MB" labeled engine oil on eBay, 10 litres for £35 is incredible value however my indy laughed as he said MB have never produced engine oil.. Have any of you guys purchased and used this oil of eBay? If it's not formulated by MB then what brand is it?
*if you type in to eBay, genuine Mercedes engine oil, you will see the listings at the top.. The seller is Euro commercials
Thanks

Just to add
The main dealers all still use Shell helix ultra! Confused :/

It is possible to buy Mercedes branded oil, just ask your local main dealer parts counter. Of course Mercedes don't manufacture the oil, just like they don't manufacture umpteen other things which are Mercedes branded, like brake disks, insulated mugs, etc.

Like all manufacturers, Mercedes white label an oil with their brand to use in their service department and resell to the public.

As above they only label something made by someone else.

400ixl said:
Like all manufacturers, Mercedes white label an oil with their brand to use in their service department and resell to the public. As above they only label something made by someone else.
That's what I'm thinking, but how good is the quality of oil if it's only £35 for 10l? Shells mb 229.51 oil is twice the price..

renault12ts said:
Do you really believe MB "make" oil?
Lol no but ideally would want to know who's oil is actually in the tub.. I would go along the lines of it being lowest possible quality but priced up..

Lol no but ideally would want to know who's oil is actually in the tub.. I would go along the lines of it being lowest possible quality but priced up..

Now you've got me worried, what happens if they do the same with brakes?

I take it that is being said with tongue in cheek lol?! Brakes would wear prematurely and give off sh*t loads of dust.. Maybe

I take it that is being said with tongue in cheek lol?! Brakes would wear prematurely and give off sh*t loads of dust.. Maybe

Yes tongue in cheek, but why would Mercedes only go for the lowest possible quality oil, but not go for the lowest quality on other to-be MB branded items?

Lol no but ideallyty would want to know who's oil is actually in the tub.. I would go along the lines of it being lowest possible quality but priced up..

Just like many other items which are made on behalf of Mercedes, Mercedes will define the specification, and will probably go for whichever manufacturer can supply that specification at the best value.

Might be secondhand oil re-refined in an oil refinery owned by MB. They are small enough to own outright.

That's what I'm thinking, but how good is the quality of oil if it's only £35 for 10l? Shells mb 229.51 oil is twice the price..

Well, depends on whether it is the genuine OEM labelled oil, or some fake or recycled oil with a label on it.

MB-branded oil is 229.5 / 229.51 Approved so will be fine for your car.

Franchised ealers are required to use original MB-branded parts, but not original MB oil, so they will supply the cheapest oil they can get that meets the MB spec. If the best deal is from Shell, they will supply shell. This is a commercial decision for the dealer, not a statement of the oil's quality.

On another note, oil bought off eBay could be fake, you never know, but this is a totally separate issue.

As for MB-branded oil quality.... MB-branded parts are usually same or better quality than what is available on the open market. This is from experience.

On the last service I noticed the dealer had used Petronas oil, in the past it was always Mobil.

Mobil, Shell, Petronas or any other oil will be fine as long as it has the appropriate MB approval. I didn't count them but there must be close to 100 different oils worldwide that MB have approved to 229.5.

If you talk to professional oil formulators MB oil specs like 229.5 are considered amongst the best in the world if not the best so any thing that meets the spec really will be good oil.

As for the price, there must be a big profit margin on some other oils if 10L can be bought for £35 and you assume they still make a profit. I recently did even better and bought 5L of genuine 229.5 oil for £13.20.

MB 229.5 - Multigrade engine oils (Specification 229.5) - Mercedes-Benz Specifications for Operating Fluids

Gents,

Sorry, but your all wrong...let me introduce you to the MB oil refinery!

[YOUTUBE]2xzYf8IL_FE[/YOUTUBE]

:D

Probably only of interest to pedants, that film above is an almost exact (word for word, shot for shot) remake of a 1950s Shell film called 'How a refinery works'.

This is the refinery Mercedes use for their 229.1 spec oil

Attachments

• old oil refinery 2.jpg
    old oil refinery 2.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 69

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom