Mercedes branded engine oil

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
A little update:
I had "mb engine oil" put in on recent service.
Although I saved on overall cost, I will not be skimping again as there's clearly an inferior difference and with it being winter it is blatantly obvious during cold starts and driving up to optimum engine temp, the engine struggles when starting and is much louder when driving until warmed up!
I don't know where Mb have plugged there oil from but
It is safe to say I will be going back to shell helix

I've bought MB branded oil from Mercedes before & told it was made by Petronas. Also told that they use Fuchs when first built in the factory except for AMG's which get Mobil 1.

Russ

A little update:
Although I saved on overall cost, I will not be skimping again as there's clearly an inferior difference and with it being winter it is blatantly obvious during cold starts and driving up to optimum engine temp, the engine struggles when starting and is much louder when driving until warmed up!

This will be the result of the oil grade, e.g. 0w-40 or 5w-30 etc, not the make.

What you describe above is not something that will depend on whether the oil was branded MB, or Shell, or Castrol etc, but on the oil's viscosity.

this will be the result of the oil grade, e.g. 0w-40 or 5w-30 etc, not the make.

What you describe above is not something that will depend on whether the oil was branded mb, or shell, or castrol etc, but on the oil's viscosity.

+1

Interesting thread. I purchased oil from MB Main Dealer a while back which was Petronas branded and cheap.

Checked the data sheet on the oil today and complies with relevant MB requirements for my particular car as listed in the handbook.

Not really clear what the issue might be in using said oil?

The key to this issue can be summed up by one word " provenance" My concern on buying oil that meets the requisite MB standard for the model concerned 229.31/229.51 etc be it a product actually branded MB or branded by one of the MB recognised manufacturers Shell, Fuchs, Petronas Mobil etc is that its the real thing and not counterfeit oil in bona fide labelled containers. Best way is to buy from a recognised / traceable source.

A little update:

And on the other hand those symptoms might have nothing to do with the oil.

John Jones Jr said:
And on the other hand those symptoms might have nothing to do with the oil.
It can only be the oil, as I had the atf and b service done together and the difference was noticeable straight away..

Mike Walker said:
Interesting thread. I purchased oil from MB Main Dealer a while back which was Petronas branded and cheap. Checked the data sheet on the oil today and complies with relevant MB requirements for my particular car as listed in the handbook. Not really clear what the issue might be in using said oil?
My oil wasn't labelled Petronas, it was labelled "Mercedes Benz"

markjay said:
This will be the result of the oil grade, e.g. 0w-40 or 5w-30 etc, not the make. What you describe above is not something that will depend on whether the oil was branded MB, or Shell, or Castrol etc, but on the oil's viscosity.
That's what I'm trying to get at, the makeup of the oil just seems really inferior compared to shell helix and maybe others like mobil (which is what Mercedes should be using)

It can only be the oil, as I had the atf and b service done together and the difference was noticeable straight away..

I'm not trying to be pedantic but the only why to prove that is to change the oil.

.. the makeup of the oil just seems really inferior..

What does this mean in plain English?

Also, do you know what viscosity the garage used?

That's what I'm trying to get at, the makeup of the oil just seems really inferior compared to shell helix and maybe others like mobil (which is what Mercedes should be using)

So have the symptoms disappeared since you switched back to Shell Helix?

Bobby Dazzler said:
So have the symptoms disappeared since you switched back to Shell Helix?
I haven't switched back yet, that won't be for a while as I've just had the service

markjay said:
What does this mean in plain English? Also, do you know what viscosity the garage used?
lol whatever is in that oil just produces a ****e end result I.e loud engine and struggling cold starts

John Jones Jr said:
I'm not trying to be pedantic but the only why to prove that is to change the oil.
I will be able to prove it when I go back to shell helix

markjay said:
What does this mean in plain English? Also, do you know what viscosity the garage used?
No idea on viscosity, it was serviced by a very good indie

John Jones Jr said:
Oh, I didn't realise this. So, the M-B packaged oil from eBay didn't state what the oil was suitable for, or am I misunderstanding again?
5w30 mb 229.51 captain :p

There are many grades of "MB approved" engine oil. The symptoms you describe fit an oil that has a high viscosity when cold. Perhaps your engine has been filled with the wrong oil? I would take this as a warning sign. While an oil which has higher viscosity may simply be inconvenient, -- one which is not " low ash" 229.31 or 229.51 is going to block your DPF [ Diesel particulate filter] if run for a longer period. I would certainly check the provenance and exactly which grade of oil was used with your indy to be on the safe side.
Motor Oil Viscosity Grades Explained in Layman's Terms

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom