Mercedes branded engine oil

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I haven't switched back yet, that won't be for a while as I've just had the service

So to summarise; You are convinced the oil is of poor quality, has made your engine produce more noise and has had an effect on starting but you are not changing it because you have only just had the service carried out?:doh:

5w30 mb 229.51 captain :p

To clarify, did you buy this oil and supplied it to the garage, or did the garage supply the oil and the above spec is what the Indie told you he used?

markjay said:
To clarify, did you buy this oil and supplied it to the garage, or did the garage supply the oil and the above spec is what the Indie told you he used?
I bought the oil of eBay so supplied the indie with it,
Your prev q. Confused me as it wasn't the indie who used their oil..

DSM10000 said:
So to summarise; You are convinced the oil is of poor quality, has made your engine produce more noise and has had an effect on starting but you are not changing it because you have only just had the service carried out?:doh:
That's right captain

I bought the oil of eBay so supplied the indie with it,
Your prev q. Confused me as it wasn't the indie who used their oil..

Is it possible that the MB oil you bought off eBay wasn't genuine?

5w30 mb 229.51 captain :p

Assuming the oil is genuine, if your engine is struggling when cold then I would consider either 0w30 or 0w40 instead.

markjay said:
Is it possible that the MB oil you bought off eBay wasn't genuine?
I doubt it, it was purchased from europarts iirc based in wales and came with an mb invoice..

That's right captain

Just what are you complaining about? You think the oil is inferior but are not prepared to spend a relatively small sum to change it until your next service so you must think it is fit for purpose!

I doubt it, it was purchased from europarts iirc based in wales and came with an mb invoice..

Unless Europarts based in Wales is a MB dealership, why would it supply oil to you via eBay with an MB invoice? This doesn't sound right to me, and given that you believe that you paid well below market price for the oil, there remains a traceability question on the quality of said oil.

A little update:
I had "mb engine oil" put in on recent service.
Although I saved on overall cost, I will not be skimping again as there's clearly an inferior difference and with it being winter it is blatantly obvious during cold starts and driving up to optimum engine temp, the engine struggles when starting and is much louder when driving until warmed up!
I don't know where Mb have plugged there oil from but
It is safe to say I will be going back to shell helix

Was there any particular reason you used quotes around MB Engine Oil you used in your service?

Given that you are unhappy with the performance of the oil during cold starts, I would be inclined to agree with the suggestions from other forum members here that you shouldn't wait till the next service to address this concern. If, and only if, your poor performance is effected by the oil, then clearly the oil should be replaced as soon as possible without delay to avoid further damage and/or premature wear to your engine. If the oil is the root cause to your poor performance, then clearly it is not doing its job - Waiting till the next service could be too late as permanent wear/damage could have set it by then.

Personally I would look elsewhere for poor cold starting issue (such as the MAF if your car has one). I cannot see how the oil can effect cold starting since by default all the engine oil is residing in the sump during a cold start for every engine. The best suggestion I can give is to get a Star Diagnostic performed on your car to see if there are any error codes that would give you a better indication of a what the cold starting issue could be.

... it was purchased from europarts iirc based in wales and came with an mb invoice..

As far as I can see there is no ebay shop with the exact name "europarts" although there are many with europarts as part of the name.

If you can give us the exact name we might be able to form a view of it being genuine or not. You might also be doing us a service if we learn it's a supplier to be avoided.

The better scenario here is this is a wind-up, otherwise :wallbash:

I purchased that said oil from that supplier in a 20 litre container for around 55 pounds, had no problems but am worried now it may not be genuine

Right just googled the company and they are a Mercedes van and commercial truck dealership located in Newport Wales so that explains the Mercedes receipt, feel a little easier now

This thread perfectly demonstrates the placebo effect...in reverse.

Trickythemerc said:
It's EUROMERC commercial truck dealers I had 20 ltrs off them and have no starting problems.
That's the place

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom