Mercedes branded engine oil

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
BlackC55 said:
Its Fuchs oil btw. Fuchs make most of the oils for MB.

My local Mb dealer informed me it's Petronas.

I've been using Fuchs for years with no ill effect.

Look to be a genuine Mercedes commercial company, so oil is genuine and fit for purpose

Fuchs is also factory fill,the only reason I bought off ebay was the price. I normally buy Fuchs from germany.

They are very local to me and a genuine firm. It's about £35 for a 10ltr pot. My guess is they are perhaps bringing it in from Germany and buying in bulk.

Don't know if perhaps shelf life date is approaching or expired?

I bought 10 x 1 litre pots of top notch oil in Tesco's once. £10 a litre pot. Reduced to £1.

Sold it on ebay at a nice profit. The best before date had expired. Does it make any difference? Does oil have a shelf life?

Last edited:
Now we know the oil is genuine I can't see how the oil caused a problem. A 5W30 oil should be fine for the temperatures we get in the UK.

By all means go back to Shell Helix ultra as that is really excellent oil. One issue to be aware of is Shell Helix ultra lies towards the bottom end of the SAE J300 viscosity band so is likely to be a little thinner than the Mercedes branded oil although you'll never know for sure as I doubt technical data sheets will be available for the MB oil.
It's a minor difference in any case.

The best before date had expired. Does it make any difference? Does oil have a shelf life?

Considering its been under the ground for millions of years I doubt a few months will make a diifference:D
As long as the oil is kept in a sealed container I don't see a problem using it after the best before date.

It wouldn't be the oil but the additives that 'expire'.

As said stored in an unopened original container, it'll be fine...

They are very local to me and a genuine firm. It's about £35 for a 10ltr pot. My guess is they are perhaps bringing it in from Germany and buying in bulk.

Don't know if perhaps shelf life date is approaching or expired?

I bought 10 x 1 litre pots of top notch oil in Tesco's once. £10 a litre pot. Reduced to £1.

Sold it on ebay at a nice profit. The best before date had expired. Does it make any difference? Does oil have a shelf life?

Was it 'expiry date' or 'manufacture date'? We had this confusion on another thread.

New oil will be fine on the shelf for many years. The only possible deterioration is it might need a good shake up to redistribute the additives.

It doesn't matter if the oil is Fuchs, Shell etc. All that is important is that it meets or betters M-B specification and clearly the oil the OP purchased on eBay from a M-B dealer is M-B specification.

Last edited:
Things have moved on a bit since we used to bung some Duckhams 20W50 into older engines to make them sound smoother.

I assume sawdust in the Diff oil is not happening either?

Now we know the oil is genuine I can't see how the oil caused a problem.

This the very point I made several pages back but according to the OP it's the new oil that's at fault...but he's not changing it because the oil is new. :devil: You'd really have give up on this thread.

Last edited:
i bought this product from Mercedes Newcastle via Ebay, perfect goods and service, check the specification to make sure its for your car, very good value , will purchase more when required as i now service my own car, no problems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom