Mercedes Break brake calipers upgrade. Easy or pointless?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dddooommm

Car
R129, W460, C219.
MBCLUB-
Afternoon all

Just a quick post (after reading forums first)

My brakes are not the best. Little bit spongey and lax.
Don't get me wrong- I've owned other manual/ auto Mercs and their brakes have been top dog.

I hate to say this but the Audi braking system is next level stuff!

Anywho, I've bled the breaks, checked the servo, replaced pads& discs simultaneously and I'm still not happy with the braking performance. My Delphi dysgnostic system is showing a healthy Merc across my esp, bas & abs systems.

I've got a clk w209 2.7 2003 auto elegance with the old style tiny cute callipers.
I'm tempted to upgrade to a larger sized capplier, pads and Merc drilled discs.

Plan of action is to find lowish cost amg callipers / discs
That I can bolt directly on and plug in my pad sensors to.

My question is-
Is it as easy as buying amg c class w203, e class w211 callipers used off eBay or local Merc breakers and bolting them on & attaching hose lines?

Ideal outcome-
More effective breaking without touching esp, abs, bas etc.

Thoughts & experience please ?

DDDOOOMMM

Last edited:
I think the mounting points for the bigger calipers might be a problem. Also, your wheels may not clear the caliper either. Lots to think about when MB designed the brakes on your CLK to be efficient enough. Could be change of pad might help.

Alexfoti has a set of E55 front calipers and discs for sale I believe.

If it feels spongy there's something wrong IMHO ... can't see how changing the callipers would make any difference.

Bear in mind you could end up paying a bit more for insurance if you do go ahead (assuming you declare the mods). As already mentioned you may also need different wheels to clear bigger brakes.

Why not try something simple, hassle free and cheap like fitting a set of braided hoses and uprated front brake pads. Ferodo DS2500 etc as an example.

Will do on my next service.
Branded pads & drilled discs are on the to buy list.

Thanks

ds2500 are awesome, but they are quite dusty, is the brake master sized to the calipers used? just wondered if a upgrade of caliper should also be coupled to the correct master too. I dont know just asking the question...

It's Defo food for thought.

My servo / master are the normal-ish size to be honest.
The merc calipers are soooo freaking small.
I'm sure my petrol manual w209 had bigger ones front and back.
Ill have to try the Ferodo set when I do my next service.

I'll Take a pic soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom