Mercedes brochures from the mid 70s

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
It would be great to see some of those Philsmerc, I imagine they're all in glorious Monochrome?

No,glorious colour, many A4 size and also smaller.

My camera is on the blink so I'll take a few pics with my iPhone and have a go at uploading when I get time (though being a juniors member, not sure if I can).

I have a really nice one for the Vandenplas Princess.

No problem with you uploading them here - I save them to Photobucket (free) and link from there, or use the attachment option (Go advanced below and follow the links).

The 280 S/E/L brochure - quite a thick one so I've winnowed out the small photo pages and text. There is a glorious one of the complete car in yellow against a swamp green background but it's a three page fold out and I need to take a snap without the tripod and with a ladder. I'll do that when all the other stuff is done.

Mercad34_zpscworcbu9.jpg

Mercad35_zpschhkmcue.jpg

A 4 speed manual box on an SE. I imagine this was one of the rarest cars out there!

Mercad36_zpsapdwv7l7.jpg

The first Benz dash of the modern era. Note, like Royces, Benzes didn't come with unncessary nonsense like rev-counters (not sure if it was even an option).

Mercad37_zpsge56esw9.jpg

Zebrano of this period is much richer than later ones. You can tell it's real wood as the imperfections on the top surface below the instrument binnacle are manifest. But if you wanted proper wood done well you didn't buy German.

Mercad38_zps58belhzh.jpg

Yellow on a green background. Yum..

Mercad39_zpsmlrw4bas.jpg

Flat colours really work so much better with lashings of chrome.

Mercad40_zpslbax6vba.jpg

Not used to this photobucket lark so will try one first?

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://s1079.photobucket.com/user/ndphs00/embed/slideshow/"></iframe>

Fingers crossed.

how the heck do you get it to display the photos, rather than the link?

Second link works fine. Fabulous brochures!

[IMG said:
http://i407.photobucket.com/albums/pp151/cdam07_photos/mercad8_zpsnbuqe0en.jpg[/IMG]

mercad10_zps34qdqaxf.jpg

Oh my goodness! Designo Electric Green!!!!!!

how the heck do you get it to display the photos, rather than the link?

Click on each photo in photobucket, then copy the link for direct (upper middle right) and then in MB club - click the yellow square with the twin peaks on it then paste the link you've copied.

Oh my goodness! Designo Electric Green!!!!!!

Similar, but I think that is 861 Silver Green as Designo didn't start for another 20 years or so. The SL in the brochure is 874 Citrus Green, a glorious colour. Benz greens are seriously great in this period.

Hopefully here's Philsmerc's gallery in easy view mode

CIMG6098_zpsa1yzy078.jpg

CIMG6097_zpsllk8a4yp.jpg

CIMG6096_zpsz563zg2p.jpg

CIMG6095_zpssrzufm6y.jpg

CIMG6094_zpsd2lffvun.jpg

CIMG6093_zpskprtosfh.jpg

CIMG6092_zpsconvwikm.jpg

CIMG6090_zps9zibt1vt.jpg

CIMG6089_zpsexzd6ang.jpg

CIMG6088_zpsjp1xouav.jpg

CIMG6087_zpswvqnfsb1.jpg

CIMG6086_zpsehqtk8no.jpg

I can remember all of these. It was not unusual for the Renault 4 to need welding for the 1st MoT! They were made from wafer thin steel.

Similar, but I think that is 861 Silver Green as Designo didn't start for another 20 years or so. The SL in the brochure is 874 Citrus Green, a glorious colour. Benz greens are seriously great in this period.

Just...wow! I sort of knew it wasn't Designo, but really wasn't expecting to see three colours that look so much like Yellowstone, DEG and DE Orange from twenty years earlier! Clearly the Britain which I thought of as so grey when I arrived on these shores in 1977 as a callow 21 year old was not so grey as I thought! Come to think of it, it was the era of orange Maxis and so on so I should have realised.

Regarding the Hillman price list above, am I right in stating that the purchase tax was 21%???? (I can't really do £sd on a calculator.) Seems pretty steep, even more than the VAT rate now.

Regarding the Hillman price list above, am I right in stating that the purchase tax was 21%???? (I can't really do £sd on a calculator.) Seems pretty steep, even more than the VAT rate now.

Around 1962, purchase tax on motor cars was reduced from 45% to 25%. The level of PT depended on the type of goods or services.

Beautiful ads. Those Sunbeams are well named :) The picture of the man lifting up the woman, looks itself lifted from the A Wonderful Life film posters. The colours in these adverts seem to be innately optimistic. Wonderful stuff.

a2c5d5f7bb27d0dede40827e175f8801.jpg
Did this dashboard really exist back then in the 70s!?

This thread has cost me money.

For the princely sum of £29 I shall be receiving in the post a hard back sales brochure and the UK price list for the 2005 CL.

Did this dashboard really exist back then in the 70s!?

Oh yes, immensely ergonomic and really simple. But like much Citroen gadgetry it was felt to be too much so the Series 2 CX had conventional dials, but the stalks were mounted on control pods. Like that of my Citroen SM, it is possible to use all the major controls with your fingertips without ever leaving the wheel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom