Mercedes brochures from the mid 70s

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I remember having some great posters that I got from an NEC motor show in the seventies. One was a CXGTi and the other of a Saab 99 Turbo.

Not much visually, but an interesting insight into the "Honest John" world of the motor trade in 1938?

Attachments

• IMG_0484.JPG
    IMG_0484.JPG
    40.7 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0485.JPG
    IMG_0485.JPG
    32.8 KB · Views: 19
IMG_0486.JPG

IMG_0487.JPG

Sorry that images are not that good but it's quite a small booklet (3inch x 4inch).

Last edited:
In essence this is the Glass's guide of its times? I like the notion of maximum allowance.

In essence this is the Glass's guide of its times? I like the notion of maximum allowance.

My thoughts also - wondered if they had an "Arthur Daley" type back in 1938?

There's an order form enclosed with this book, as it was a monthly publication. The subscription was 7s 6d for 12 issues, which according to Dr Google would have been equivalent to around £23 today.

I acquired the booklet, alond with an owners handbook for an MG TC about 35 years ago. My wife had cooked occasional meals for an elderly neighbour and when he passed away, his son (who did not live locally) asked us if there was anything in the house that we would like.

The old chap was a retired mechanical engineer, who kept meticulous records foe all sorts of things. He had a Hillman Avenger (purchased new) which he had a diary for, with records of every single jourmey, money spent on it etc. Sadly, at that time, I couldn't afford the price his son got for it (though he did offer it to me first), but he kindly let me have the booklet and handbook, along with a set of ladders.

I gave the MG TC handbook to a chap up the road some years later, after spotting one on his driveway.

Convertible Coupé de Luxe, Club Saloon, .......some very evocative and classy names in there!

Couple more Citroen ones

citroenad31_zpsfovyrmfe.jpg

citroenad32_zpsptl7smib.jpg

I remember my dad test driving an airmatic Citroen in the late 70s or early 80s. I think he only did it because they were offering a free plastic picnic set.

A free plastic picnic set.

The glamour!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom