Mercedes build quality

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

alphagemini

Car
Mercedes C200
Does anyone have an opinion regarding the difference in build quality between cars built in Africa or Germany?

On working on my C200 I have found errors in assembly which were overlooked by inspectors, not major but
irritating nonetheless.

I suspect they are both as mediocre as the other. You don't buy MB for build quality.

MB rustproof their cars now, rust shouldn't be a problem. Should it?

When I changed the spark plugs I found that somone had dropped a load of sticky goo onto the cylinder head
and down one of the plug receses. Easy fix but I wonder what the story behind that was. No quality control?
The plugs were factory original, never due to be changed before. I wonder what the local MB poeple would have done?
Dread to think

MB introduced galvanising back in the early 2000's didn't stop the rust appearing on many models.
My S203 was built in Germany, all other 203 variants were assembled in South Africa. The estate models suffered a lot less from rust than the saloons

Reactions: 219
Not sure if true today but I remember being told a few years ago, that if buying a MB estate it was/is very likely that the vehicle would have been made in Germany, e.g better build quality.

Water based paint was the problem according to many on the internet.

Water based paint was the problem according to many on the internet.
It has been said that a lot of poor quality steel was used in the early 2000s

My 2003 S500 was a victim of the tin worm and that simply should not have happened to a flagship vehicle.

It has been said that a lot of poor quality steel was used in the early 2000s

My 2003 S500 was a victim of the tin worm and that simply should not have happened to a flagship vehicle.
Sadly , there are a lot of rusty W220s around now ... worse than my W140 , which needs new front wings and rear arches repaired but otherwise tidy .

Rust was more of a problem back in the 50s and 60s due to poor quality steel , and prior to the W123 MB cars all rusted badly ; they actually are much better now than they used to be .

So what make of car has the best build quality?
Impossible question to answer. However you can make your car last a lot longer by looking after it well. Always spray under the arches once a week in winter. Keep the car in a dry garage etc etc. Also there are some great anti rust potions on the market which actually work (Vactan springs to mind)

We had an early W203 which was built in Germany. It was a total disaster. Numerous issues. Instrument screen faulty on delivery. Aircon flaps installed the wring way round so it was forever misting up. Faulty electrics galore - alarm, ignition module, various other electrical items, suspension bushes. We got rid of it as soon as the warranty expired. Apparently it cost MB £10000 in warranty repairs according to the dealer. Colleague had a S African W203 with no problems.

Early, pre-facelift W203 was well known for electrical problems and suspension issues.

Mine is 2006, bought with 18k on the clock after 10 years. So far so good at 43k. Love the thing, apart, that is, from little
surprises in manufacture. MB service, sorry to say, rubbish. Do it myself. At least I know what's needed and do it.

My previous car was a 2006 W203, built in the East London plant in South Africa. I bought the car when it was 2 years old and kept it for 9 years, during which it gave exemplary service. There wasn't a spot of rust anywhere. Based on my experience, I would not hesitate to buy another MB car made in South Africa.

My current 2012 W204 was made in the Sindelfingen plant in southern German (I have actually visited the plant back in 1991, when I went there with a friend to collect a brand new W124 for his father). The car is fine, and the point is that I cannot see any difference in built quality from the old car that was made in SA.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom