Mercedes C Class estate 250td windows not working

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dodgy26

Car
Mercedes C Class Estate 250TD
Hi to everyone,
I have just purchased an old 1998 C class estate 250TD, It looks and runs great and I will post some pictures soon, I have a problem with the windows and mirrors, Firstly none of the windows or mirrors work from the centre console, I have had a look at the console and I can only see 1 small wiring harness that clips to the back of the switches, I think there are only 4/5 wires, The rear windows work fine from the passenger rear window switches, as I am new to the Mercedes world any information would be gratefully accepted, just to say my car has done 200,000 miles and drives like a dream.
Thank you
Regards
Dave :thumb:

Hi there i had a similar problem with my w202 wen I first got it ,all seemed well with the wiring so I removed switches from facia panel gave gave it good spray with wd40 and left it to soak in for a few hours (I suspect yrs of dirt ,grit and poss a spillage of some sort had taken there toll) anyway put it all back together that was 90k and 2 yrs ago still working fine

Hi Hondo,
Thank you for your reply, I will give it a go, I have tried everything I can think of, I sprayed the electrical contact on the centre console but I will leave it too soak, I was going to buy a new console but don't want to spend a fortune to find out it wasn't that part,Everything seems ok as there is power to the console,There is only one wiring loom attached.
Thanks again will post a reply tommorrow
Regards
Dave :)

ill see if I still have mine from my scrapper.

the switchgear comes apart quite easily for cleaning, theres a sliding clip that releases a lot of it...

Hi,
Great, I have removed it and it is currently soaked in WD40 I will leave it overnight and fit first thing in the morning.I am taking my daughter to Chester Uni for her first time so it is currently loaded to the top with girlie stuff etc.
If it doesn't work let me know if you have yours from the scrapper and I will be more than glad to buy it from you.
Thank you again
Regards
Dave

Hi,
I think it is definately my switches, I did as you said and soaked them in wd40, They worked for a while then stopped then worked again then stopped,Guydewdney if you have some switches I will gladly buy them from you just tell me how you would like payment, also unfortunately my passenger window is stuck down, when I press the switch for down the window regulator thingy clicks but nothing when I press it up so don't know if it is a switch or the window regulator thingy at the top right of the door, plus got a small water leak somewhere, but on a good note I made it to Chester and back with no problems, my wife looked like something from jungle book after comming down 4 motorways with the window fully down !!!
Regards
Dave

Sorry it took me so long to reply , I use the car every day usually I only use drivers window ,at the weekends when kids are in back and wife in passenger seat there windows often are slow to go up and dwn I think the seals dry up ,if your switches have been on the blink as mine were and you've had no use of windows A light spray of wd 40 with straw in to the window channel seal might be worth a try i I Don't just spray wd40 on everything and hope for the best lol ,it has worked on both occasions for me though

I haven't had great results with WD40 in window channels in the past - it tends to dry out quickly and need re-application. A better product, IMHO, is silicone spray - use a straw and spray it inside the rubber channel, all around the window and then "work" the window up and down a couple of times. It's also a good product to spray on all the rubber door seals - stops the doors sticking shut in the winter.

HTH

Your absolutely right silicone spray would work better but if or when some poor person comes to paint your car at any point in the future and it reacts like wildfire and they have to paint it three times to get it right I'm sure they will kindly tell you never to go near a car with any spray containing silicone

If you've got a good steady hand and a lot of patience could you not strip the individual switches down to a component level and clean the contacts with metal cleaner or are they sealed on a printed circuit board?

Hi,
I have managed to get some second hand switches off a certain auction site that state work perfectly so I will give them a try, I will also silicone spray the rubber channels,thank you for all your help and advice.I bought the car just to load up and take my daughter to uni in and then sell it, but to be honest I love the car, it may be 15yrs old but it still looks good and runs beautifully so looks like I will be keeping it :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom