Mercedes C Class W204 vs CLS W219

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

silversurfer10

Car
SLK
Hi everyone!

I was wondering which is better in terms of ride quality and also refinement between a Mercedes C Class W204 in SE or Elegance trim for example and a Mercedes CLS W219 facelift where both are on standard and not air suspension? And how much difference there is between them? Thank you in advance for any input!

You ll get arm chair style seats in a cls . The w219 is just like the e class , a motorway mile eater, whereas the c is more of a drivers car , quick and nimble . Another factor to think about is wheel and tyre size , run a w219 on 17's with fat rubber will make it smoother over bumps etc, than 19's on skinny tyres, same with the c .

Also, isn't the CLS a 4-seater, while the C-Class is a 5-seater? If it makes a difference to the OP, that is.

The CLS is a class above a C - more expensive when new, more luxurious, larger etc.

Only four seats as mentioned though.

Have a drive in both and decide but if you’re after ride comfort airmatic rather than steel springs is the way to go, with smaller wheels as said.

very different cars. I have had my cls for nearly four years and still love it. When i bought it it was because of the huge power (its a 55) but now the thing I like most about it is just how quiet and supremely comfotable it is at all times.

Thanks everyone! The C class and CLS cars that I am interested in are quite a fair distance from me. I was most curious about which would be more comfortable and refined, the W204 C Class in Elegance/SE trim and standard 16" alloys or the W219 CLS facelift with steel springs and standard 18" alloys? This is the key factor. Thanks.

Thanks everyone! The C class and CLS cars that I am interested in are quite a fair distance from me. I was most curious about which would be more comfortable and refined, the W204 C Class in Elegance/SE trim and standard 16" alloys or the W219 CLS facelift with steel springs and standard 18" alloys? This is the key factor. Thanks.

Well, 16" wheels will always provide a softer ride than 18" wheels...

I am in the same camp as you BTW, when I bought the W204 I searched high and low for a C-Class Executive SE on 16" wheels (the vast majority of second hand cars seem to be Sport, or worse: AMG Line), and for the same reasons as you. I am very happy with my find :thumb:

I did not consider the CLS at the time because I needed a car with 5 seats.

Well, 16" wheels will always provide a softer ride than 18" wheels...

I am in the same camp as you BTW, when I bought the W204 I searched high and low for a C-Class Executive SE on 16" wheels (the vast majority of second hand cars seem to be Sport, or worse: AMG Line), and for the same reasons as you. I am very happy with my find :thumb:

I did not consider the CLS at the time because I needed a car with 5 seats.
Thanks. So you're saying that a C class on 16" alloys will be more comfortable than a CLS on 18" alloys?

It’s actually the height of the sidewall (profile of the tyre) that determines ride comfort when it comes to wheels, not just the diameter.

A CLS is a bigger car and uses larger wheels and tyres than a C so although it’s running 2” larger wheels (and hence lower profile tyres) the sidewalls on the CLS will probably not be as low as that suggests - probably 1/2” lower than the C-class on 16s. The chassis and suspension will generally be able so soak up bumps a little better than a C-class all things being equal.

But as said already, if ride comfort is your thing I’d look for a CLS on airmatic rather than steel springs and run 17” wheels (which are probably the smallest you can go to clear the brakes). You can adjust the suspension ride height and damping to comfort and really soften the ride to your liking :thumb:

Comfort isnt just about ride. its also seats, general sound insulation, cruising engine noise and so on all of which the cls excels at. I would be very surprised if you didnt find an airmatic CLS considerably more comfortable than a c class

Comfort isnt just about ride. its also seats, general sound insulation, cruising engine noise and so on all of which the cls excels at. I would be very surprised if you didnt find an airmatic CLS considerably more comfortable than a c class
Thanks. How about a CLS on standard suspension?

I would still expect it to be more comfortable than a C but mine is airmatic so am unable to give any first hand experience.

Hi, Standard suspension is absolutely fine, rear and front design using Gas pressure Shock Absorbers, with separately located coil springs, pleasure to drive. About 2 weeks ago I have replaced rear shock absorber on 130K miles W219 car as I felt the rear was bouncing more than it should and making clanking noise over humps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom