Mercedes C class W205 rear brake caliper return

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gando

Car
C220d
I recently changed the rear brake pads on my car and found that when pushing the calliper back using my clockwise twist and push tool the calliper went "hard" before it was fully returned. Not wishing to cause any damage I stopped. By trial and error I found I then had to screw and push in an anticlockwise manner until the calliper went "hard" again. It took a third clockwise push to finally get the calliper fully returned.
This does not make any sense to me and wonder if anyone else has come across this problem?

I recently changed the rear brake pads on my car and found that when pushing the calliper back using my clockwise twist and push tool the calliper went "hard" before it was fully returned. Not wishing to cause any damage I stopped. By trial and error I found I then had to screw and push in an anticlockwise manner until the calliper went "hard" again. It took a third clockwise push to finally get the calliper fully returned.
This does not make any sense to me and wonder if anyone else has come across this problem?
You need to go into the engineering menu for the car to pull back the parking brake/pistons prior to fitting the new pads, then release them when finished. There are a couple of helpful Youtube videos that give details of how to access the Eng Menu on the 205 series. The method you have used is not recommended for the 205!

Ernie

You need to go into the engineering menu for the car to pull back the parking brake/pistons prior to fitting the new pads, then release them when finished. There are a couple of helpful Youtube videos that give details of how to access the Eng Menu on the 205 series. The method you have used is not recommended for the 205!

Ernie
I forgot to mention that I had released the parking brake using the engineering menu for the car . This releases the parking brake but does not fully rewind the caliper piston which is necessary in order to fit the new brake pads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom