Mercedes c220 cdi, C01022 & C01038 intermitant limp mode 2005

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

merc85

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
CLK 500
I've recently acquired a 2005 Mercedes c220 cdi, shes got a few issue's

Already clean the original EGR valve as had a P0404 AND P0403

Now along with C01022 & C01038 which will not reset both of which are ESP Tracs Error's , i have NO Tracs ABS warning lights on the dash ever,

Limp mode is intermittent

It has a Fault where it goes into limp mode 99% on partial throttle, and stop the car and turn ignition on and off will usually clear it and it doesn't bring on the CEL

One thing i do notice is The Speedo and RPM fluctuate by about 25rpm and 1mph when cruising.

The Car has also had a replacement MAF and MAP sensor, no intake leaks present.

I am wondering whether the conductor plate in the gearbox is giving up the ghost as ive had the bouncing of the Rpm needle before and it was the fault

Well you would normally look at the MAF but as you have a replcement already fitted and no leaks,that does leave your idea of the conductor plate right in the front of things it could be,as always on here have you had it on Star,I seem to remember you have access to one,this motor is a bit of a departure from the cars you normally buy,just how many miles has it done and any history that would help you deside to fork out to get the plate repaired.

Thanks for the Reply buddy,

I bought it to take the miles off the CLK500 , this one is just being used for work etc, She's done 78k with full history not MB though.5918FA83-0558-4BF1-94E5-20B987DDCDC1.jpeg
Would love to get to the bottom of the limp mode, last gearbox fluid change was at 36k, so i've order a new conductor plate gasket and filters tobe fitted during the week,

Last edited:
Looks very tidy,I will correct myself it will look even more tidy once you start to work on it,and very low mileage,so are you going to clean the plate yourself,plenty of how too's on you tube.

Looks very tidy,I will correct myself it will look even more tidy once you start to work on it,and very low mileage,so are you going to clean the plate yourself,plenty of how too's on you tube.
Yes i will do it myself, I've the internals of a 5g box out before and i will also replace the pilot bush/plug onto the Plate too,

Been driving around local today no limp mode strange this one

Well limp mode again cruising off the throttle upto a roundabout rpm and speedo needles bouncing slightly before hand, no CEL

Surprised nobody has any ideas...

check the electrical connector to the box isnt weeping. Should be a service item.

Ok bit of a read herring ,

Took the car to another garage and the reset all codes even the ones above, these gave not come back.

Car went back into limp mode but no cel,

Code retrieved was a low boost issue.

Upon refitting the maf I notice the air intake to turbo was not pushed all the way on.

So did this and the car is now running faultless !! 😃

I had something very similar on my CLK . Turned out to be a broken hose clip on the boost pipe, the pipe worked loose on the turbo nose and caused all sorts of codes to pop up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom