Mercedes C240 Sport - Advice Please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

n3thn

Hi

This is my first post and need some good advice of you chaps please.
I am looking at buying a 1998 C240 Sport, it has done over 100k miles but has full mb service history. Can anyone tell me what this particular model is like, what spec do you get on a Sport model over say an Elegance, are they anymore sought after.
Also what sort of mileage can i expect from a full tank of petrol and are there any things that i should be particularly looking out for when I go and have a look and take it for a test drive.

Hope someone can help.

Thanks jon

See this thread for a few details previously posted.

http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1109

We have C240 owners here, so I am sure they will answer, but I would expect about 300 miles out of a tank of fuel.

I prefer the Sport, you get the lower Sport suspension (I think Elegance models get this too though), ivory white dials, carbon fibre look trim inside and out, sportier 16" 6-spoke alloys and er, that's it I think.

Hi N3thn!

I have a 1999 C240 Elegance with 50K on the clock. I find I get anywhere between 300-400 miles on a full tank (65 litres) of fuel - I get around 30mpg general driving, maybe 34mpg on motorway runs, not bad, but not like a Corsa!!

Only major problem I have had is with fuel gauge sender unit which stopped working when the tank was full - so I would test the vehicle with a full tank of fuel to make sure the sender unit is OK! (From what I gather this is a problem on other W202s tho')

I think I have heard problems mentioned with the wiper motor so check that works too!

Lovely car, not sure how Sport is different, but lovely smooth, effortless ride whilst still being cheap to run and buy. Good luck!

Jon,

I have the C240 Sport below, I get 340 miles or there abouts out of a tank with a mixture of driving....
The ride is comfortable as a Benz should be however I'm running 18's and it is still comfortable but not as comfortable as the standard 16's that come with it..
The differences from an elegance to the sport and I'm sure I will be corrected if I miss anything are:-

1" or so lower on the suspension
5 spoke alloys like the early slk's with 205/55/16 rubber
Carbon look interior trim instead of wood
White dash dials ( NOT Max Power style!!!)
Black trim around windows with carbon inserts between doors
The cloth seats are a different pattern, most have leather I think..

I also had the fuel sender replaced due to the same problem that tosborne had, other than that its been good as gold....
Its also no rocket ship...it does go quite well for a V6 but if its grunt your looking for go for the 4 banger C230K or V6 C280

Not sure of much else maybe someone else may pitch in if I've missed anything...

Hi Jon,

C240 is a very nice motor - quicker than the performance figures suggest (was always neck and neck with a mates V6 Calibra and close to his 323Ci).

Personal opinion, but I much prefer both the look and the drive of a Sport to the Elegance. The later is very much dependant on how enthusicastially you tend to drive - I believe Elegance's don't have the sports suspension, and therefore do have a more comfortable ride, but at the expense of handling. I actually find the ride in the Sport fine by my own standards (did around 40k miles in the first year I had my old C240 - very relaxing too). Again a subjective matter, but I much prefer the sports seat in the Sport - being on the taller side I feel a bit 'perched' on the seats in the Elegance.

MPG is very dependant on the weight of your right foot - I had anything from around 250-400 miles out of a tank, although none of those would include completely nun-like driving:bannana: :bannana:
I did find that the C240 needed a few revs to give it's best, unlike the Kompressers, so that can take it's toll on the fuel gauge.

Haven't had much go wrong on my C240 or C280 - in 60k miles in the C240 I had the common intermittant fuel guage problem that never annoyed me enough to get it fixed (currently got my C280 booked in to get this sorted out whilst under warranty!!), plus the ASR light came on, which the dealer simply reset. In 59K in the C280, I've had a starter motor replaced + a dodgy exhaust rattle, both sorted under warranty.

I'd check what needs to be done at the next service - following the Merc servicing guidelines, there's a biggie due at around 105,000 miles - likely to be around the £900 mark, since you need to get all 12 spark plugs replaced. If this is due, could be worth investigating getting this done elsewhere for £50, as arranged by Greg.

Sorry for waffling - get one, you'll enjoy it!!:rock:

Originally posted by GrahamC230K
I prefer the Sport, you get the lower Sport suspension (I think Elegance models get this too though), ivory white dials, carbon fibre look trim inside and out, sportier 16" 6-spoke alloys and er, that's it I think.
I think the "sport" suspension is for the sport and the esprit models, the classic and the elegance have about 1 or 2cm more right height. Sport models have no chrome on the bumpers, side mouldings or door handles either.
The C240 engine is basically indestructable, it's a lazy engine and MB didn't really push it performance-wise so it's a nice comfortable cruiser that sounds really sweet and is really smooth.

What options does the car have? If you can post the VIN number (will be of the form WDB2020262FXXXXXX and can be found on the slam panel under the bonnet or on a sticker on the B-post of the driver's door opening) we can look up any of the options you won't neccessarily know to look for (or in a lot of cases the current owner won't know about either! ) :D

Good luck with the car!

Guys thanks for the advice much appreciated, i am going from a Alfa 156 Selespeed and before that had a Impreza Sti version 4, so i will appreciate i will be very down on power.
What sort of miles can these 240 engines do if serviced properly.
Also the colour of the car is a black/blue metallic, anyone know what colour this is.

Shude - i will have a look for the VIN number and post it.

Cheers
Jon

Ive got a C240 elegance just now with about 40k on it . Its a good car and i was getting about 200-220 miles out a full tank. My car spends its life in the city centre , so , thats the milage to expect with town driving and i rarely put my foot down as im a nancy.

When you want the C240 to go , it goes and goes and goes and goes till you run out of road. the only problem with this much power is wheelpin in the wet which ive found to be a problem on the cold winter mornings with the 195/65 tyres.

Ive actually just sold my car and am getting a W203 C180K ( which actually feels just as fast as the C240) The only thing about it is to get it going you have to plant your foot onto the carpet as all the power is above about 3000 RPM. This makes for relaxed driving and it is smooth enough. You get used to the body roll with the elegance and drive with it , so thats not a problem.

The only thing i did not know about when i bought the car was about the HUGE bill to get the sparkplugs changed which ill manage to avoid by getting rid of it. ( get the dealer to do it before you buy it as they will be needing done soon if the car has done 100k ;) )

Apart from that , a great mota , enjoy :)

if you got any questions , ask us on here between us we know most things.

Originally posted by n3thn
What sort of miles can these 240 engines do if serviced properly.
Also the colour of the car is a black/blue metallic, anyone know what colour this is.

Shude - i will have a look for the VIN number and post it.
The VIN number will help us confirm the colour, but blue-black sounds like #189 "Emerald-Black" also refered to as "opal black" by some people. I just bought a w202 c230k in that colour and we have another member with that colour too, it's one of the nicest colours there is! :) If you get the VIN off the car, on the sticker inside the door frame there is a 3 digit number by itself, that's the colour code. It's also on the slam panel plate but that's covered in numbers and I can't remember where the colour code is.

EDIT:
My previous car was #891 (Alexandrite green)

chassisplate.jpg

Originally posted by GDC200
"How Many Miles will the Engine do?"

If its been serviced properly more miles than youll do in it! I pulled up next to a C Class Taxi and it had 234,000 on it. Mercedes Mag has loads of readers who have written in about 300,000 plus cars. If you service it and keep it clean it will run almost forever!
Don't forget MBenzNL's C250D has done 530,000Km :)

Thanks again guys

Are there any other front grills available for the C class or does anybody know where you can get the AMG bodykit from and how much it is, also how much can i expect to pay for a set of 17" AMG or Carlson or Brabus alloys, cheers :)

Are there any other front grills available for the C class
There are 3 oem grills for the w202, the 1993-1996 "waffle" grill, the 1997-2000 grill and the "avantgarde" style grill. I have an avantgarde grill on mine, it looks the best imho:

grillafter.jpg

there are other grills too but I wouldn't put anything other than oem on my car!
...or does anybody know where you can get the AMG bodykit from and how much it is...
You can get the AMG kit from your stealership, if you would like one for less than £3k there is a forum member with the screen-name MBenzNL who will be able to help you, the kit will be about £1500 from him.
...also how much can i expect to pay for a set of 17" AMG or Carlson or Brabus alloys, cheers :)
17" AMG wheels are about £1500 with tyres brand new, 17" Brabus are about £2k (I don't think that includes tyres! ) and as for Carlssons I have no idea, but they're expensive!

£1500 for the kit :crazy: is it gold plated:eek: bloody hell then you have paint and fitting on top, looks like it will be suspension and wheels then for me.

£1500 for the kit :crazy: is it gold plated:eek: bloody hell then you have paint and fitting on top, looks like it will be suspension and wheels then for me.
The bodykit is complete replacement front bumper, rear bumper and if applicable sideskirts (facelift) . You can sell the old ones when you're finished you know!

w202graveyard.jpg

or you can leave them to fester in your back garden...it's up to you!

Did you get my PM i sent to you ??
Yes :)

You have the spec and info from the EPC, it's up to you now!

It prolly looks a lot like this:

newcar18.jpg

Just a feeble excuse to post pics of my car, but that one is 189 and a sport too, so it should look the same from the outside... :)

Originally posted by GDC200
Shude is that pic taken near where you crashed?
Not really, within a few miles of it though. Those are taken on the A640 between Huddersfield and Rochdale.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom