Mercedes C43 Crank Pulley and other jobs

Discussion in 'Engine' started by zjamiez, Sep 10, 2011.

1. zjamiez

zjamiez New Member

Car:
    C43
    Hello all,

I thought I would post a quick note up to see if anyone knows where I can get hold of a crank pulley holder for the job?

I dont want to spend £100 on a tool!

At the same time I have to do the TCU on the transmission and the the oil seals on the oil cooler.

The oil cooler is relatively easy however auto transmissions I am not familiar with and I assume I have to change all the transmission oil but is there a special procedure for refilling ?

Any help or tips would be much appreciated.

(I am in the cambridge area)

2. DogWagen

DogWagen Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    BMW E91 325d and Alpina E46 B3s. Still miss my C43 AMG Estate - Azurite Blue
    Hi and Welcome to the forum

There is a post by BlackC55 on changing the fluid on the 722.6 transmission (I'd suggest you use the MB Fluid).

If you look at MBWorld or Benzworld, someone has produced a home made tool using industrial water pipes. BUT I would seriously consider asking a good indy to do this for you - the torque levels are seriously high and you wouldn't want to damage yourself or the car in the process - radiator is really vulnerable. I have been quoted 1 hr (£50) to do the job and that's well worth it!

If you are around Cambridge, I'd use Barr-Tech http://www.barr-tech.com up on Cowley Road (Nino and Tino have been around for a long time and I have used them in the past) but I'm sure there are others who'd help.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2011
  3. OP
    OP
    zjamiez

zjamiez New Member

Car:
    C43
    Brilliant, thank you very much. I did see the hand made tool and looks like a lot of running around finding the right parts. I think I will take your advice and head to bar tech to have the pulley done.

Everything has seemed to happen at once with this car !

4. DogWagen

DogWagen Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    BMW E91 325d and Alpina E46 B3s. Still miss my C43 AMG Estate - Azurite Blue
    Once the work is done, I'm sure you'll appreciate it - C43's are something special!

5. noogieman

noogieman Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    My dream: Der Hammer AMG
    your car is it a high mileage car?
    crank pulleys do go bad!
    it's a weak part from factory.
    I had to change mine @ approx 90000 km, it was getting a woble, rubber insulation was going bad!
    these cars are great if you sort out your problems

6. OP
    OP
    zjamiez

zjamiez New Member

Car:
    C43
    They are fantastic cars and I am missing it badly at the moment. Issue now is that I have the serpentine belt off. I can not get the viscous fan off so I am waiting for a special tool from Sealey to hold it and then use a 36mm spanner to get it off.

Then I will deal with the challenge of the crank shaft pulley.

I am going to take my time doing it all and get the right tools for the job.

7. DRBC43AMG

DRBC43AMG Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Switzerland, Sion (VS), the canton of mountains, w
    Car:
    99' C43 AMG "T Rex", 00' Renault Twingo1, Ultima Sports Can-Am
    Good luck as the pulley bolt is a b**er to remove and hope nothing breaks or gets damaged

8. OP
    OP
    zjamiez

zjamiez New Member

Car:
    C43
    Crank Pulley done, I had to get a tool from the states in the end which is a fantastic piece of kit, I am now having difficulty getting the TCU connector on the gearbox unplugged? I have seen pictures and it turns obviously to undo but I can not get it to release and I dont want to break anything

9. DRBC43AMG

DRBC43AMG Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Switzerland, Sion (VS), the canton of mountains, w
    Car:
    99' C43 AMG "T Rex", 00' Renault Twingo1, Ultima Sports Can-Am
    Read somewhere on a post that it was a twist and pull removal of the plug, but not 100% sure

10. OP
    OP
    zjamiez

zjamiez New Member

Car:
    C43
    All done, the white plastic was a little stuck and need a bit more force then usual. Running like a dream again now.

Unfortunately I have decided to sell her even though I have just done all this work. New business venture needs a little funding.

Mercedes-Benz : Mercedes C43 AMG ESTATE (RARE) Open to offers

11. OP
    OP
    zjamiez

zjamiez New Member

Car:
    C43
    All done, the white plastic was a little stuck and need a bit more force then usual. Running like a dream again now.

Unfortunately I have decided to sell her even though I have just done all this work. New business venture needs a little funding.

Mercedes-Benz : Mercedes C43 AMG ESTATE (RARE) Open to offers