Mercedes C43 E55 conversion

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
"This means 349bhp and 391lbft of torque and some very confused BMW drivers"

I like this one :D

That is very very cool...

but what is it worth?

Cat D is bad news, but not the worst

What would it be worth as a standard C43 as the 55 upgrade adds 500 - 1000 to the value of the car in my mind...

you also get the m113 4.3 v8 standard engine also worth a few quid i bet other members would buy it at a good price

i might be interested myself im on the look out for a 4.3 at the moment

That sounds cheap but how does insuring that work.

Any modification.... yes different engine, any claims, its a Cat D

will that push the premium up?

Also Is it 'that' much quicker than a std C43 with the 5.5 in?

If I were along side it I would think its quick anyway I guess, nothing to judge but I wouldn't assume it had a different engine?

That sounds cheap but how does insuring that work.

Any modification.... yes different engine, any claims, its a Cat D

will that push the premium up?

If I were along side it I would think its quick anyway I guess, nothing to judge but I wouldn't assume it had a different engine?

You would have to have it under modified insurance. I dunno about the cat D but surely if you get a VOSA vehicle inspector that could be removed? :dk:

but what is it worth?

What would it be worth as a standard C43 as the 55 upgrade adds 500 -
1000 to the value of the car in my mind...

I cant see the point in it myself when you can buy an E55 for less money and you dont have to mess about with modified insurance

i might be interested myself im on the look out for a 4.3 at the moment

Ollie at PCS had one for sale a little while ago, he may still have it

It would make a huge difference, its another 45 odd horse and a lot more grunt,

I dunno about the cat D but surely if you get a VOSA vehicle inspector that could be removed? :dk:

Once its a CAT D it stays a CAT D, the VOSA inpection is not required for a D but it is for a C and the inslection only allows the vehicle back on the road

-Towbar attached (detachable) even though your not meant to use C43s to tow
-Ashtray ripped out
-Wiper parked high

and it looks like some cut the rear bumper were they mad

i wonder what ollie is selling the engine for price wise im in england for two weeks from the 4 on work if i was near i could call to him were is he based

4.3 m113 engine

and it looks like some cut the rear bumper were they mad

i wonder what ollie is selling the engine for price wise im in england for two weeks from the 4 on work if i was near i could call to him were is he based

I believe Ollie advertised the engine on eBay for £499. HTH :thumb:

Engine pics of the c43/55 are now available on eBay

1999 MERCEDES C43 AMG | eBay

Hi,
Believe it or not there is,nt a Lot in it between a standard 43 and a 55 converted, the difference comes in the midrange. Insurance wise I pay just over 400 a year fully comp. in fact it was only about 30-40 quid more a year than the standard 43.
Wonder wheather he still running with a standard map like myself, or he's had chipped?

I don't know why you would tell insurance? I'm currently watching this and very interested as I planned to carry out this conversion myself, it's just a shame that it cat D :(

Once its a CAT D it stays a CAT D, the VOSA inpection is not required for a D but it is for a C and the inslection only allows the vehicle back on the road

You can get a firm called Autolign to inspect the car. It can then be reclassified as "Engineer Inspected" and the Cat D is removed.

I've had it done on a car. It is a very detailled inspection down to and including a paint thickness check to identify repainted panels.

At the time I had this done this was the only firm authorised to do this and actually recategorise vehicles on the Hpi register.

Last edited:
They do, but last time I checked they could not be removed from the register so it's just a safety check really.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom