Mercedes CL 55 - F1 Limited Edition - CollectingCars

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Goldeneye

Car
Audi A3 3.2 Sportback, Mercedes C63 507
Hi all, been keeping a regular eye on the interesting motors that pop up on collecting cars and just saw this! Can't imagine it going cheap but would be interesting to see how much it reaches over the regular 55.

CL55 F1 - Link

What does it have that the standard car does not?

No idea, but I am curious as to how much the ‘limited edition’ tax would be 🤷‍♂️

What does it have that the standard car does not?
Well according to Supercars. net "The Mercedes-Benz CL 55 AMG F1 Limited Edition is the world’s first roadgoing automobile equipped with an ultra-high-performance ceramic braking system. The engineers at DaimlerChrysler AG and Mercedes-AMG GmbH developed internally ventilated brake discs made from fiber-reinforced ceramics for this unique high-performance coupe."
and ....
"Numerous special characteristics distinguish the CL 55 AMG F1 Limited Edition, which is available only in brilliant silver metallic, from its series-production counterpart:
-F1 Limited Edition lettering on the center console, with consecutive numbering – Illuminated entry sills with F1 Limited Edition lettering – Front seats of ultra-sporty design with optimum lateral support, black/silver leather upholstery and embroidered AMG logo
– AMG sport steering wheel with perforated leather wrap – Carbon decorative trim – Automatic shift lever in leather-carbon combination – Floor mats with AMG logo"

Not much of special interest then, apart from no doubt the worlds most expensive discs! 04/05/06 facelift (sat nav ,rear lights, seats etc) 113k car with similar mileage car would be my choice. So much better.

Aside from all that, it’s still a nice car, in pretty good condition for its age and low mileage.

No idea on value, but still a decent enough example for someone and something a little bit different :)

Well according to Supercars. net "The Mercedes-Benz CL 55 AMG F1 Limited Edition is the world’s first roadgoing automobile equipped with an ultra-high-performance ceramic braking system. The engineers at DaimlerChrysler AG and Mercedes-AMG GmbH developed internally ventilated brake discs made from fiber-reinforced ceramics for this unique high-performance coupe."

Which this car certainly doesn't have, those are steel discs and the front calipers are a few pistons short of what it should have. Comparing with MB's own literature - where's the bucket seats and the two-tone steering wheel? The wing markings don't match either.

That said, it's not the first I've seen like this so either multiple owners are trying to fake it or MB backed off on the marketed spec.

Last edited:
If you wanted it to drive, an M113K would indeed be better.

According to the ad, the original discs will come with the car if the winner wants them. The original calipers and pads are not mentioned, though.

With only 350 bhp and 400 ft-lb, I'd have thought that steel discs would be more than adequate anyway, though admittedly less gimmicky to justify the original price.

Which this car certainly doesn't have, those are steel discs and the front calipers are a few pistons short of what it should have. Comparing with MB's own literature - where's the bucket seats and the two-tone steering wheel? The wing markings don't match either.

That said, it's not the first I've seen like this so either multiple owners are trying to fake it or MB backed off on the marketed spec.
The steering wheel is different to any other CL steering wheel.

OK, so what do we reckon?

I'll suggest £20k.

What say you?

(And, no, I'm not dissing the car. C215's are great bargains. Just wondering about what price the market will give it)

(FYI Strattons appear have failed to find a buyer for it at £40k over the last five months.)

Screenshot 2021-10-18 at 11.50.59.png

Last edited:
Maybe 15k to 20k if someone really wants an early non supercharged car for some reason. But mostly because of the low mileage rather than the special edition status. I agree that the 215 CL is one of the most attractive cars MB has ever built and in 55k form should soon start to apreciate for good and especially low mileage examples. Ultimately i think all 55ks will eventually increase but the CL is probably he rarest and most attractive of the lot in spite of various tech issues (ABC in particular)

The ad says the Strattons one is a K.

According to their ad "This car wants for nothing!"
Apart from the rot being cut out of the rear arches of course.
It is a rather lovely old thing although personally I'm not a fan of the carbon fibre interior trim

I see some pretty small blisters under the paint on the rear arch lips which any 215 CL will suffer from.

This is not unusual for any MB of this age. I would rather see it prior to rectification and get it done properly than just have it blown over badly someone. Wouldn’t put me off.

The boot lid and front wings won’t rust though. The place you need to check is where the rear ‘C’ pillar meets the roof - alloy vs. steel, corrosion there is a bit more of a problem to sort out.

To illustrate my point above, look at the driver’s door to the rear quarter on the Strattons car - poor paint match. That would put me off more than a couple of minor blisters on the other car.

well its not a "K"

To illustrate my point above, look at the driver’s door to the rear quarter on the Strattons car - poor paint match. That would put me off more than a couple of minor blisters on the other car.
I wondered about that - it shows better in some pics better than others and I'd had put it down to lighting/shadows, but that was without the knowledge of the construction of these cars. Silver is an absolute horror of a colour to match properly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom