Mercedes Classifications Explained?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MancMike

Hi,

Does anyone have any resources which properly explain all of the classifications?

I've searched but turned up only someone asking about the Wxxx numbers.

I want to know about all the variants. For example, I read earlier here that a CLA is an A class, so then a CLS must be an S class. So what is a CL by itself and what does CL even mean/stand-for? Is an SLK better or just different than SL? Obviously SLS is the supercar.

It's all very confusing.

There's this but it's pretty brief and shoddy. Mercedes Classes Explained | eHow UK

I hoped someone on the owners club can explain each in hierarchy for me.

Thanks.

Thanks, that's helpful to see the array of models, but it doesn't seem to represent the hierarchy of the models, or what if anything the lettering means. I know SLK for instance means something like "small light sportscar"?

As for hierarchy, for instance, If I bought a CLA, I don't know if I'm upgrading or downgrading from my C class. If I bought a CLS, can I expect the luxuries I'd find in an S class?

To make things more confusing, I think CLS was based on E-class rather than S :)

Thanks, that's helpful to see the array of models, but it doesn't seem to represent the hierarchy of the models, or what if anything the lettering means. I know SLK for instance means something like "small light sportscar"?

As for hierarchy, for instance, If I bought a CLA, I don't know if I'm upgrading or downgrading from my C class. If I bought a CLS, can I expect the luxuries I'd find in an S class?

Well in terms of luxuries, I think a CLS will do better when compared to an S, at least until 2007-08. Yet IMO the CLS is a blend of refined comfort and power, whereas the S is largely comfort with an option of a big engine.

CLS is an E class in drag. S class is still a big step up.

CLA is a step down from a c class.

CL is a 2 door S class basically

SLK usually shares most components with a c class and SL shares most with an E Class.

Sometimes it helps if you can think in German - as I believe SLK is Sport Leight Kurz - translates as lightweight short sport.

Sometimes it helps if you can think in German - as I believe SLK is Sport Leight Kurz - translates as lightweight short sport.

Sport Leicht Kurz

Or, the full Sport list, according to Wikipedia:

SL = Sport-Leicht

SLC = Sport-Leicht-Coupe

SLK = Sport-Leicht-Kurz

SLR = Sport-Leicht-Rennsport

SLS = Sport-Leicht-Super

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom