Mercedes CLK 270 CDI - Tuning

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lucashek

Car
Mercedes CLK 270 CDI
Good afternoon everyone. I'm a new member so I hope I am posting this in the right section!
I have a 2003 CLK 270 CDI with 62,000 miles. The car has a full stainless steel exhaust from the factory and was previously owned from new by a doctor.
I would like to ask a few questions please.
1) Would it be possible to drop the intercooler from the 320 cdi straight in?
2) Can the same be done with the turbo?

After these modifications I would have a remap done.

Thank you very much Lucashek

I'm not sure about the intercooler, it may be the same size. The CLK320 diesel is v6 so could be different pipework.

A 320 turbo will bolt on from a om613 (W210 E320 or W220 S320) engine.

With a 320 turbo and good intercooler it would run a reliable 200bhp. To get much more the injectors will need upgrading.

I'm not sure about the intercooler, it may be the same size. The CLK320 diesel is v6 so could be different pipework.

A 320 turbo will bolt on from a om613 (W210 E320 or W220 S320) engine.

With a 320 turbo and good intercooler it would run a reliable 200bhp. To get much more the injectors will need upgrading.
The 320CDI of that vintage was a 3.2 straight 6 I think?

That's it OM 613 or 648.

Thanks to all who replied. I will look for the appropriate turbo and look at generic intercoolers that will fit my space. The car is already running about 215bhp with a remap. What a difference from 177bhp!!

I had basically that same 2.7 5 cyl in my Grand Cherokee. I tuned with a "TDITuning" box. Went from 163 horse to 209.....but MUCH more noticeable was the torque increase from 400nm to 480. It was like driving a completely different car. Fuel consumption in reality remained the same...but the box throws out the MPG reading on the dash and made it wildly optimistic. But that was the only negative. Recommended.

Not for my individual car no......but then neither are 99 percent of remaps. Most are just genetic maps bought in by the installer and loaded to your car......it's a LOT more money to do a proper bespoke rolling road map....which is the only proper way to do it. But hardly any remapped cars go through this process. But I don't doubt TDITunings figures.....the change was huge and if anything felt like bigger gains than claimed. And of course being a box, when I sold the car (and at MOT time.....it should pass...but why risk it!) I could remove it and sell it....can't do that with a remap!
On an old school derv like that a remap or a box basically do the same thing....increase/modify injector pressure and duration. There is only one was to tune a diesel....inject more fuel! Unlike a petrol car there is no shortage of air (to a point) as the engine is always at full throttle....only injectors alter the engine speed. A friend who really into tuning ALFA dervs says that to tune a turbo diesel....basically you just keep injecting more and more fuel and it will make more and more power....until it doesn't..... which is the point that there is not enough air to burn it all....so then you fit a bigger or hybrid turbo to get more air in to burn more fuel....then you get to the flow limit of the injectors....so bigger injectors....more fuel....until you need more air....Repeat until something mechanical breaks....replace upgrade that part....back off the boost and injectors a little....and that's your limit without serious mechanical changes!! Of course he does use a Dyno for his tuning....and its VERY expensive!

Last edited:
Remaps are all about knowing who the actual author of the file is sometimes down to a single name !

I've had amazing generic remap a 1.9 PD that went from 130 to nearly 180 and flat lined increased torque to protect an already slightly slipping clutch , almost a decade later no slipping .

The boxes sometimes do something hense the feel but not what they claim , RaceChip got took to court in Stuttgart for this and have since reduced their claims , for my OM651 they originally claimed 120Nm increase when the average Stage 1 is 50Nm.

But on the whole a bad idea as they primarily fool the ecu with a resistor to either the fuel temperature sensor or fuel rail pressure sensor under reporting so the ecu cranks up the fuel pressure .
This is dangerous for the fuel rail and injectors as above safe remap limits .

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

That's also exactly what a remap does....Without higher rail pressure and injector duration you wont get any more power! Generic maps and tuning boxes basically do exactly the same thing. Lots of nonsense talked about both online though. Main reason I went for the box was the convenience and adjustability of it....and of course it has a value when you go back to stock to sell the car. The ONLY way to do it properly is on a rolling road....you will get more power that way too as they set it up for your particular engine rather than a generic program for the average engine.....with almost certainly wont be optimal for any particular engine. My current ALFA 159 2.0 JTDm has had both a generic map and a tuning box. Both felt exactly the same to me.....and although neither went on a dyno the 0 to 60 was same on both....and no excess smoke on either, which can be an issue on poorly written maps and cheap boxes.

Exactly...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom