Mercedes CLK 320 vs Volvo V70 T5

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

chewy

Hi all,

I've just joined as I'm looking at buying my Mams CLK 320, its on a 99 plate and is the elegance.
Everything is spot on apart from a tiny bit of rust on one of the arches, asking price £6000 with 100,000 miles.
The big downside for me is the 218bhp and 300ish NM, my Volvo has 280bhp and 420NM and I'm worried that the CLK won't match the Volvo in the performance stakes.
Is they any way of upping the CLK's hp and torque figures with it been NA?

Thanks

Phill

They are obviously totally different vehicles and only you can decide whether the CLK with the better roadholding and sportiness is what you want.

It can be chipped, but will not increase that much, and you might not notice the difference on normal journeys anyway only on fast runs. You have obviously driven it does it seem underpowered to you??

Haven't drove it yet, been in it with my Dad and it seems to pull well enough.
The RWD appeals to me loads as my old BMW used to stick to the road real well.
Chips only add 10bhp which isn't worth it, what about superchargers, are they easily added or is it a big job.
I'm completely new to Mercs but know with the T5's stuff is fairly easy swapped/modified...

Phill

Haven't drove it yet, been in it with my Dad and it seems to pull well enough.
The RWD appeals to me loads as my old BMW used to stick to the road real well.

I moved from a chipped S60 to a E270CDi (not yet chipped...) and don't miss the power. You'll find the way improved handling over the volvo the biggest gain, but yes getting more power is going to be expensive.

What S60 did you have Tim?
I really need to have a go in my Mams, just insured on my car at the moment though.

Phill

Last edited:
Mines the T5 with MTE map, might just have to bite the bullet, the CLK is more comfy lower mileage etc, how much are you looking at to get around similar figures to the Volvo?

Phill

I went from a Subaru impreza to a e270 cdi (wife told me I had to grow up!)
Mercedes is a different way of driving, yes the 270 is quick enough, but it is a nice place to be even in traffic. The Subaru was fun and the road holding spectacular, but after travelling over 10 miles your fillings were starting to rattle. I think a CLK 320 would have both luxury and enough 'go' to still bring a smile to your face. Plus if its your mums you should get a decent bit of discount!!!

Mines the T5 with MTE map, might just have to bite the bullet, the CLK is more comfy lower mileage etc, how much are you looking at to get around similar figures to the Volvo?

Phill

Difficult to say, but the easy way would be to buy an AMG. Or seek out a 320cdi and chip it to oblivion.

I had the RICA map in my S60, tempted to do the same to the E270 but the opportunities to run at 150mph are so few now I'm not yet feeling the need. Point to point the handling on the mercedes is so much better I can beat all my best runs in the Volvo. Overtaking a little less good but I've gone from manual to auto also!

I love the manual but I'm doing around 500miles a week now and my legs shagged after dipping the clutch all the time doing 5mph on the M1, plus the V70 aint got air con!
How much should I be looking at for a 99 S plate CLK 320 elegance with 100000 miles on it, everything is spotless and everything works, only things wrong is the small bit of rust, is £6000 a good price, it will be for sale next summer.

Phill

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom