Mercedes CLS 2010 W219 Grand Edition Bi-Xenon Lights

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

silversurfer10

Car
SLK
Hello everyone,

I have seen in my vehicle's description and also online that my CLS 2010 W219 Grand Edition has Bi-Xenon lights.

However, on inspection, the xenon lights work on dipped beam(alongside a small halogen bulb) and the bulb for high beam is a halogen bulb. I was wondering why this is? I thought that Bi-Xenon indicated that a Xenon bulb was used for both dipped and high beam. Many thanks in advance.

Hello everyone,

I have seen in my vehicle's description and also online that my CLS 2010 W219 Grand Edition has Bi-Xenon lights.

However, on inspection, the xenon lights work on dipped beam(alongside a small halogen bulb) and the bulb for high beam is a halogen bulb. I was wondering why this is? I thought that Bi-Xenon indicated that a Xenon bulb was used for both dipped and high beam. Many thanks in advance.

My 211 500 had a set up like that as standard and it was called "Xenon" not "Bi-Xenon".

My 212 has the full Bi-Xenon set up as standard. Included in the ILS setup.

Maybe B-Xenon was an option on yours?

My 211 500 had a set up like that as standard and it was called "Xenon" not "Bi-Xenon".

Thanks, it was stated that as standard, the setup was Bi-Xenon

Bi-xenon lamps use a movable shield to provide dipped beam and main beam. There will always be a second, halogen, lamp to provide the headlamp flash function. HiD lamps whether simple xenon or bi-xenon aren't used for the flash function as they take a few seconds to illuminate

Out of interest, where was it stated?

FWIW, when I was trying to figure all this stuff out for my 211 my 212 I found getting a copy of the original brochure (which has tables with all the standard kit and options) and the original pricelist very helpful.

I guess that, like the Grand Edition, 500's come with extra kit over the equivalent non-500's. It took me a bit of detective work to work out all the ins and outs.

The car's datacard will be the definitive reference on what was built in at the factory.

The car's datacard will be the definitive reference on what was built in at the factory.

You're right, I forgot to mention that - I triangulated what was in the standard kit/options list with the data card to figure it all out.

Back to the headlights, though, I just had to turn my main beam on on a dark day to see I had Bi-Xenons on the 212. BIG difference over just having the on dipped Xenons on the 211 . And just having them on dipped was way brighter than the halogen-only lights on my previous C43's.

Bi-xenon lamps use a movable shield to provide dipped beam and main beam. There will always be a second, halogen, lamp to provide the headlamp flash function. HiD lamps whether simple xenon or bi-xenon aren't used for the flash function as they take a few seconds to illuminate
Thanks, that makes sense. Is it normal for the halogen to be brighter on high beam as well in a Bi-Xenon setup ? The Xenon bulbs do not look any brighter on high beam.

Thanks, that makes sense. Is it normal for the halogen to be brighter on high beam as well in a Bi-Xenon setup ? The Xenon bulbs do not look any brighter on high beam.
The bi-xenons will not change brightness as all that happens between dipped and main beam is the metal shield moves away to allow the beam pattern to expand. Not sure what you mean about halogen being brighter on high beam as these would only come on when on high beam. They would not illuminate at all when dipped beam is selected

When you say "it was stated" what exactly do you mean by that?

There's a lot of misinformation out there. Lots of sources state lots of things a lot of which is misleading or wrong.

The bi-xenons will not change brightness as all that happens between dipped and main beam is the metal shield moves away to allow the beam pattern to expand. Not sure what you mean about halogen being brighter on high beam as these would only come on when on high beam. They would not illuminate at all when dipped beam is selected
Thank you for the explanation. What I mean is, when on dipped beam, the xenon lights illuminate as well as a dimmer halogen bulb that is present on each side. On high beam, the halogen bulb becomes brighter.

When you say "it was stated" what exactly do you mean by that?

There's a lot of misinformation out there. Lots of sources state lots of things a lot of which is misleading or wrong.
It's mentioned in the literature that was with the car as well as on the internet in relation to this particular model. Additionally, all adverts on auto trader that I have seen for this model state the Bi-Xenon lights

Have you checked your actual data card for your particular vehicle?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom