Mercedes CLS W219 Facelift ('09-'10) vs CLS W218 ('10-'18)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

silversurfer10

Car
SLK
Hello everyone!

I was wondering how the facelifed Mercedes CLS W219 (2009-2010) compares in regard to ride quality and refinement to the CLS 218 (2010-2018) when both have standard steel springs and are on the same size wheels? Many thanks in advance for any input!

Are you asking because your budget is for the overlap years 2009/2010 , because otherwise buy the latest year you can

I own Mercedes CLS 350 CDi (2010). Haven't had driving experience in W218 platform. In comparison to CLK 220 CDi (2009) it brings a different driving experience vs the CLK coupe. It's hard to say which one is better - just different. CLS is more like a rocket, quiet, solid, long distance cruiser, is not sensitive to a high speed, feels easy to drive on a motorway. I still think the original design of W219 platform - is awesome. No LED headlamp like in new CLS`s - if you need to change a bulb you have to change the whole passably at the price of around £700, + an idea of steering wheel gear shifter. If looked after, the car is capable of half a million miles and more. Just regular oil, filter changes, lubrications of metal to metal parts, including wheel bearings etc.

I did the comparison about a decade ago when a had a late 09 CLS.
In short, both cars ride well. I had come from an 07 S Class on air and the ride quality was slightly less forgiving in the CLS but controlled and comfortable.
My overwhelming impression was that whilst the newer CLS felt more modern and lighter, it also felt less 'dense'.
The build quality just didn't seem quite the same as the 219, not quite the same hewn from solid feel.
The ride quality was quite comparable, but I was left with the impression of a less substantial machine.

But that is just my memory from some time ago:dk:

After owning both: The built quality/interior is vasty better on the W218 than W219.

The W219 still has a couple of cheap trim panels & switches from the early '00s (dark time for MB quality).

Also, the tech is way better in the W218.

After owning both: The built quality/interior is vasty better on the W218 than W219.

The W219 still has a couple of cheap trim panels & switches from the early '00s (dark time for MB quality).

Also, the tech is way better in the W218.
How did their ride qualities compare and likewise how did the general refinement i.e. sound insulation from road noise etc. compare? Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom