Mercedes CLS55 Battery questions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The date of manufacture is on the battery post - 06/17 - ie week 6 of 2017, don't think you're going to get much fresher than that.

The best before date is possibly the latest MB can retail it as a new battery, ie 1-year after manufacturing?

Regardless you should have a (3?) year warranty so you should be good now for a while! :)

Those labels will peel off if you're really worried - use some label remover spray or if not something like WD-40 will do the trick.

Those labels will peel off if you're really worried - use some label remover spray or if not something like WD-40 will do the trick.

Yeah, I ummm .. tried post picture taking and made a nice mess :fail

Never mind, will leave it for now!

Hair drier? But disconnect the battery first....

The date of manufacture is on the battery post - 06/17 - ie week 6 of 2017, don't think you're going to get much fresher than that.

The best before date is possibly the latest MB can retail it as a new battery, ie 1-year after manufacturing?

Regardless you should have a (3?) year warranty so you should be good now for a while! :)

Wow .. that's how they measure it!? [x of 52] x [year]? What a strange place to put it ;) Thank you kind eagle eyes! I was a bit worried since the voltage (measured on dash) was just early 12s and since Sat is late 11s to 12V. I know it's not the same as measuring across the terminals with the leads unhooked, but thought it would be a bit higher.

If it lasts to the weekend without going flat, then the car is hopefully ok in terms of any mystery (detection resistant) drains! I have 300 miles to put on it in Saturday, so it better be just "normal life" after that. I have the old battery charged in the kitchen just in case to avoid tears in the morning! :doh:

Looking good so far this week. One strange thing .. I have a plug-in voltmeter which I use in the cigarette lighter socket and of course I can use the dash to display voltage. I'm aware neither is strictly accurate as they're measuring after draw and have who knows what between them and the battery.

However ... why do they read so differently!? The dash has been displaying 11.9-12.2V during the week; the plug-in around 11.1-11.9V. At the start of the week, they were close in value. Now they are over 1V apart.

Why the potential difference!? (sorry, unavoidable pun!!) :ban:

Bought an 95 amp hr AGM battery ( Varta according to the label ) for my E class from MB dealer last week, they told me it was guaranteed for 2 years. Was only £140 fitted and they washed the car so can live with 2 years ! Really noticed the difference starting in the morning after the original 8.5 year old battery.

Latest update - got a new MB rear battery a week before a 1 week driving trip to Ireland. Lasted the 2 weeks since perfectly without any issues at all. Fingers crossed that's it for another few years!!

Bump - does anyone have a list of batteries that are the correct spec and physical size for our beloved W219 AMGs?

I think the Bosch S5 019 should fit, and that will probably be my choice if so.

Last edited:
FWIW, the MB supplied Lead-Acid 100Ah battery I fitted in my E55 is still fine now almost 3 years later.

I can’t honestly remember the last time I saw any convenience messages and it’s not used every day either. In fact over the last few months it’s often sat for a week or two at a time without issue.

Not sure how much the genuine batteries are today (IIRC they’re made by VARTA) but worth checking out if you have an MB Commercial dealer close by - I paid £62 + VAT at the time :thumb:

FWIW, the MB supplied Lead-Acid 100Ah battery I fitted in my E55 is still fine now almost 3 years later.

I can’t honestly remember the last time I saw any convenience messages and it’s not used every day either. In fact over the last few months it’s often sat for a week or two at a time without issue.

Not sure how much the genuine batteries are today (IIRC they’re made by VARTA) but worth checking out if you have an MB Commercial dealer close by - I paid £62 + VAT at the time :thumb:

That doesn't seem a bad price at all. I'll check with the local dealer.

Main (Passenger Car) dealer will be double, it’s the same battery they use on Commercials eg Sprinter etc so you need to make sure it’s a Commercial dealer ie Truck and Van.

There’s a thread on here with part numbers etc somewhere :cool:

Main (Passenger Car) dealer will be double, it’s the same battery they use on Commercials eg Sprinter etc so you need to make sure it’s a Commercial dealer ie Truck and Van.

There’s a thread on here with part numbers etc somewhere :cool:

That would be lovely! Unfortunately I don't think we have any commercial dealers here.

My Battery light in red with " visit workshop" came on a couple of weeks ago but as I had not had any convenience messages I assumed correctly as it turned out that it was the support battery in the front. Replaced it with a new MB one from ebay and all is well again. the battery I replaced was the Original one date 37/05 so 13 years old. Not bad service really!

WIS doesn't explain further than to say the BCM needs to know the car is being charged. I have no idea how this can work...

"Connect positive pole of battery charger
to positive pole of battery. Connect the
negative terminal of the charger to body
ground (2) only (not to the battery
negative terminal) so that the battery
control unit (N82) (up to 31.5.06) or battery
sensor (as of 1.6.06) can detect charging of
the battery."

Do you have any pictures that show the correct way to hook up a CTEK?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom