Mercedes CLS63: the best four-door coupe in the world?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I seen it reviewed/previewed in other mags. The take home is AMG is a tuner/developer of MB cars. The basis of the CLS is the 212 which is fundimentally sound. Hence its rather good, peerless pretty much. Its good they built it, but the basis is good. Even AMG cannot polish a turd. Its a handsome thing too.

The only galling thing is the price, which now you can buy 2x used C63s or a C63 and a dedicated track weapon and a fair bit of change.

Or a CLS500 and a nice track weapon.

Brilliant car, but nudging £100k with high spec

Ouch.

Looks nice, but I still think the original design is sharper (and I am not saying that just because I have one!)

... and then there is the S63 / S65 ......

the car has been given a very good write up in most mags.
i think the problem for this car will be the price i specced one up at £141415:eek: with every possible extra, i know not everyone is going to tick every box but to even get it to a good spec it was over a £100k which is to much for that car.
you only have to look at e63amg prices to give you a idea of how much can be lost in a year ie £40k.

I would dispute the "AMG version is better" mantra.

Sure it's faster on a runway, but the bone-jarring suspension makes them worse, not better for me. I'd much prefer a magic carpet ride and a fuel tank that doesn't need feeding every two hundred miles, to the latest entry in the "most powerful saloon car" willy-waving contest.

Looks nice, but I still think the original design is sharper (and I am not saying that just because I have one!)
So do I. I drove one last week and it was a big improvement on the inside but when we got back from the test drive I parked it next to mine. It definitely looks (IMO) like its had one too many pies compared to the original. I think that there is no flow to the design. Maybe it will grow on me, the "ponton" rear wing on the w212 saloon has. TBH I think the side view is a bit of a disjointed mess, certainly when compared to the old classic banana.

Sure it's faster on a runway, but the bone-jarring suspension makes them worse, not better for me. I'd much prefer a magic carpet ride and a fuel tank that doesn't need feeding every two hundred miles, to the latest entry in the "most powerful saloon car" willy-waving contest.
Hmmm, not sure if thats always the case really. I had a test drive in the C63 a couple of days ago and I think it was a more composed ride than my CLS. It ws certainly far from "bone jarring". Its horses for courses isnt it? and the people buying the AMG versions maybe have different criteria, than your good self, that their cars need to fulfil. I didnt think that there was a "mantra" of AMG is better.

i think there seems to be a misconception that people with amg's are willy waving. do you really think that someone who spends 70-100k on a car gives a **** what someone thinks would you spend that much to show off?
people that buy these cars want the comfort of a saloon and the power of a supercar who might want to travel to europe with there family or might be a business man with depots up and down the country who might be worth millions.
just because 100k might seem a lot for some of us its just a drop in the ocean for others.

+1 ^ Some people just dont have a clue i guess,but this soon changes once they drive one.

+1 ^ Some people just dont have a clue i guess,but this soon changes once they drive one.

Sounds like me. I really didnt realise until my drive a couple of days ago. Now I'm a big fan, I just wish I'd taken the opportunity before I bought the CLS last year. The C63 was only a few quid more but I thought "a c class? who'd have a c class instead of CLS?" Well me :(

with Airmatic set to Comfort on my 18" AMG wheels, my CLS55 rides very smoothly.

Sounds like me. I really didnt realise until my drive a couple of days ago. Now I'm a big fan, I just wish I'd taken the opportunity before I bought the CLS last year. The C63 was only a few quid more but I thought "a c class? who'd have a c class instead of CLS?" Well me :(

you're not comparing like with like .. one is powerful V8 AMG sports saloon, the other is large diesel cruiser

you're not comparing like with like .. one is powerful V8 AMG sports saloon, the other is large diesel cruiser
Yes, your right. I bought the CLS because I thought it was a big, fast missile (that also returned decent MPG). To be fair to the car it is, almost, all those things but it really, really, really :)wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:) winds me up every time I put my foot on the throttle and it has half a second of thinking about it before it goes. When it finally does go its fine, except if you want to nip past something and again there is that bloody delay!!
I thought that although it is a big car the torque (590Nm, practically the same as the 6.2 petrol) and the fact that it has a 6.5 second 0-60 time would mean it would be able to (in a big diesel grunty way) overcome the diesel delay (Yes, I did have a test drive, all I can say is I was distracted by all the shiny stuff :confused:)
Overall its really a great car, for someone else.
I agree that I am not making a true comparison of like for like. What I am saying is that I should have driven both cars first. :thumb:

Last edited:
trade in your Grand Edition for CLS55 or CLS63 :)
Actually, I would like to try a CLS63 (also possibly in w212 guise) before making the final decision. I had to buy a new car last time (complicated reasons that I shouldnt go into on a forum) but I could go for a nearly new CLS63. :thumb:
Its really the engine thats gripped me, but I couldnt really justify spending more than new C63 money on a car, so new E or CLS is out.

Last edited:
Actually, I would like to try a CLS63 (also possibly in w212 guise) before making the final decision. I had to buy a new car last time (complicated reasons that I shouldnt go into on a forum) but I could go for a nearly new CLS63. :thumb:
Its really the engine thats gripped me, but I couldnt really justify spending more than new C63 money on a car, so new E or CLS is out.

an original shape CLS 63 is what you need .. well within your budget :)

an original shape CLS 63 is what you need .. well within your budget :)

Agree.I would love to have one but I need 3 seats in the back for family

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom