Mercedes COMAND NTG4.5 in Mercedes C350 coupe 2011

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
You can update the maps yourself with a usb stick - or so I gave heard..đŸ˜‰

Google....

I guess looking at it that way you are correct - I'll have to dig out where I read it..

You can update the maps yourself with a usb stick - or so I gave heard..đŸ˜‰

Google....

You can download the maps from MB online and copy the files to a USB stick, then update COMAND, though you will need to purchase a PIN code which is unique to your VIN. You can either purchase a genuine PIN code from the dealer, or buy a pirated code off eBay (not recommended).

I'm sure there are ways to hack COMAND and install on it whatever you like, ultimately it's only a computer, and not a very sophisticated one at that.

By all means trawl the dark web or what-have-you and look for info, but please do not discuss on this forum any hacking, pirated software, or anything that might infringe on MB's copyright/IPR material.

The downside is new map file software could also be programmed to check that the pin code is used and if not could in theory leave your command inoperative...
To be safe, for £99, I would get Merc or Command Online to do it.

I have sent a message to my local MB dealer for both the OS update and maps latest version. I will let you know once I have their response.

With regards updating the maps to 2020 v19.0....

a. v19.0 was released in Nov 2019. So it's likely that a new version will be released soon. That said, as the model becomes older, at some point MB will start scaling-down the maps update frequency, so unfortunately there's no way of telling when the next version is due...

2. MB introduced the live traffic data option in late 2013 (the service is provided by TomTom), but earlier cars have only the free TMC service. It works reasonably well on motorways, but it's useless in city driving (when compared to mobile phone SatNavs e.g. Wage / Apple Maps / Google Maps). So if considering updating the maps, try and evaluate first if you are likely to actually use the COMAND SatNav given that it has only TMC but not live traffic.

3. One other option, which may or may not be of interest to you, is to fit Apple CarPlay / Android Auto. This will allow you to use the navigation software from your phone on the COMAND screen.
I have sent a message to my local MB dealer and they told that it is not possible to upgrade to GEN2 firmware. Are you sure that this is possible? Has anyone done it?

Is it also possible to put live data option from tomtom in my system or it is only preisntalled in the newer systems?

I have sent a message to my local MB dealer and they told that it is not possible to upgrade to GEN2 firmware. Are you sure that this is possible? Has anyone done it?

Is it also possible to put live data option from tomtom in my system or it is only preisntalled in the newer systems?

The dealer might not be wrong, but even if this is not officially supported by MB, it may still be possible.

Depending on where in the UK you are, talk to www.comandonline.co.uk, they will know if/how Gen1 can be upgraded to Gen2.

With regards TomTom Live Traffic service, unfortunately it can not be retrofitted. It requires a KOM Module (which was only fitted to MB cars from mid-2013), and a subscription. Even if you did spend the money and retrofitted the KOM Module, the subscription will not show on MB's central computer and will not be available for your car. (It has been done once, by someone on this forum, but it was only successful because apparently MB messed-up and had to cough it up - and it took a very long time to sort-out).

The dealer might not be wrong, but even if this is not officially supported by MB, it may still be possible.

Depending on where in the UK you are, talk to www.comandonline.co.uk, they will know if/how Gen1 can be upgraded to Gen2.

With regards TomTom Live Traffic service, unfortunately it can not be retrofitted. It requires a KOM Module (which was only fitted to MB cars from mid-2013), and a subscription. Even if you did spend the money and retrofitted the KOM Module, the subscription will not show on MB's central computer and will not be available for your car. (It has been done once, by someone on this forum, but it was only successful because apparently MB messed-up and had to cough it up - and it took a very long time to sort-out).
So as I have mentioned the dealer said that it is not possible or they not aware of this option.

After requesting it from comandonline they gave me a price of 199 only for the firmware. Doesn't look like a cheap upgrade that will not give any benefit apart from some new colours!

Any other options to investigate. Is it possible to upgrade it for a cheaper price?

Last edited:
So as I have mentioned the dealer said that it is not possible or they not aware of this option.

After requesting it from comandonline they gave me a price of 199 only for the firmware. Doesn't look like a cheap upgrade that will not give any benefit apart from some new colours!

Any other options to investigate. Is it possible to upgrade it for a cheaper price?

Well at least they confirmed that it's doable... I suppose that you will need to find someone with genuine STAR and valid subscription who knows how to do this and is willing to do it for less. But ultimately not everything that can technically be upgraded or retrofitted can also be financially justified, it's just how it is.

Well at least they confirmed that it's doable... I suppose that you will need to find someone with genuine STAR and valid subscription who knows how to do this and is willing to do it for less. But ultimately not everything that can technically be upgraded or retrofitted can also be financially justified, it's just how it is.
The maps and the firmware will cost 300pounds. I don't think it's worth it.

However I have found some people giving the maps for much less. One guy gives it for 79 and the second one for 42. Do you know if they are reliable sellers? Has anyone tried one from e-bay? Are these genuine maps or there will be a compatibility issues? Any help appreciated.

The maps and the firmware will cost 300pounds. I don't think it's worth it.

However I have found some people giving the maps for much less. One guy gives it for 79 and the second one for 42. Do you know if they are reliable sellers? Has anyone tried one from e-bay? Are these genuine maps or there will be a compatibility issues? Any help appreciated.

I can't comment on these particular sellers, but generally speaking the cheap PIN codes on eBay are hacked.

Other members here reported that they do work, but they don't show-up on MB's central computers, which means that as far as MB are concerned you never bought the newer version of the maps.

That said, if your car is not being serviced in the dealer network, the chances of anyone ever finding-out that you are infringing on MB's IPR are nill.

I am obviously not condoning copyright infringement of any type, I am just describing what other members reported.

Your best bet is to find a dealer who will do the maps update for £99. Some dealers offer that, though you may need to phone around.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom