Mercedes confirm Scrappage Participation

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
You just know the dealer is going to add £2000 to whatever you want to buy, in one form or another. But nice to see though.

but what would happen if someone turned up in pristine example of one of their old cars would they have to scrap it by law ?

Don't know the answer to that, but I would like to think that that owner would be talked into selling it privately for more than the £2k

My brother just purchased a new B class and he got a 15% discount without any effort. I suspect MB are struggling to sell new cars.

is the £2000 a government subsidy? if it is then someone taking a car in for px thats over 10years old should get the real value of the car plus the £2000 shouldn't they?

is the £2000 a government subsidy? if it is then someone taking a car in for px thats over 10years old should get the real value of the car plus the £2000 shouldn't they?

It's a subsidy off the sale price and includes the trade in value, so no.

Other than for the Smart range it's meaningless for Mercedes. Take an A-Class with list price of £15k.
One would achieve better than £2k discount without trying.

Will be interesting to see if people still do get enhanced discounts though - after all they have got extra money to give the customers (i.e. the extra £1K) so I'm sure realistically they will be competing to some degree with other dealers and will want to use this extra discount to give people the cars for cheaper rather than just pocketing the extra £1,000!

After all they aren't going to want to potentially miss out on sales! :confused:

could still spell the end of some cars that should be saved, none of the W114/5's i've bought have been more than 600 quid, cars like those could end up squished rather than in the free ads unfortunatley, they may not be worth much yet but there are fewer and fewer left everyday.

I would guess that if you wanted to buy a new Merc. without a scrapper nor a PX, you would still get a discount of £2K or more. There should be no reason to waste a perfectly good old car.

This scheme is intended for those folk who don't know how to ask for discount. Sell your car privately and then get a decent discount on top. That is if you want a new car in the first place. This only applies to new cars, and it's a fair bet that the majority on this forum don't buy new.

Most people who run 10 year old cars do so because they are on a tight budget. To bribe them into buying new cars is quite wrongheaded because that is not an economic way to do motoring on a tight budget. Plus the scheme will harm prices of fairly new cars (if a new Peuget 206 is 2k off what will a 1 year old one be) and thus increase depreciation for others.

You just know the dealer is going to add £2000 to whatever you want to buy, in one form or another. But nice to see though.
Why on earth should they? They are struggling to sell new cars, and to stay afloat in many cases, so an extra £1,000 off the price from the govt should help to stimulate sales. If they do as you say it will offer no stimulus at all which is hardly in dealers interests is it?

This from the Drive the Deal website: -
We are receiving a lot of telephone calls about the Scrappage Scheme which the governement announced last week. The government's announcement was that they would give £1000 for people whose cars qualify under the scheme, and each manufacturer would have to opt in to the scheme and agree to match the government with another £1000, making £2000 in total.
As yet the car manufacturers have not told the dealers whether they will receive an extra £1000 in addition to all the discount they currently receive.
We therefore do not know whether you can benefit from £2000 scrappage bonus in addition to our discounts.
When we have any further information, we will add it to this page. In the meantime, there is no need to call us to discuss it because we will add further information to this page as and when we receive any.

And while you're there you can have 35% off Saabs and some Vauxhalls. Ouch!

Last edited:
In Australia when the Government handed out 450 quid the price of TV's went up 450 quid. I wonder what effect it will have on car prices.

Ive been looking at this for my Mother in law. She has a P plate corsa worth about £600 (assuming we can sell it). So the day the scrappage was announced I called the local Hyundai garage to see what sort of deal they would do on a new i10 5 door auto. This lists at £8495 and they said all they could do was £200 off. So £8295

I asked them to call me when they knew the details of the scheme, which they did on Saturday. The deal is now £6245 for a brand new i10 ( they can offer finance for 4 years @ 5% at the price). So looks like they have given the full £2000 off.

Interestingly they have a pre-registered i10 Auto on their lot with nominal mileage at £7495!, so it will be interesting to see if they have to drop that. He also said that Saturday was absolutely manic with people bringing in their old bangers to trade in. I think this scheme works for the buyer if you buy right at the low end of the market such as Hyundai, where there were never huge discounts available on the entry level ranges. However if you are buying anything such as Ford Focus or above, then normal discounts available mean the scappage scheme is of little benefit.

I know one thing. In about 3 years there will be a hell of a lot of small, cheap cars on the market (and probably of brands from far-east countries!)!

I know one thing. In about 3 years there will be a hell of a lot of small, cheap cars on the market (and probably of brands from far-east countries!)!

I think there will be a strong demand for those cars, as people continue to switch from their post 2001 high VED band cars.

Surely the government need to start encouraging people to start buying bigger engined fuel drinking monsters though to help rake in more oney through VED and Petrol Duty :D:D

Surely the government need to start encouraging people to start buying bigger engined fuel drinking monsters though to help rake in more oney through VED and Petrol Duty :D:D

it should raise speed limits too and make minimum speed limits to make us drive faster in our new monsters to use even more fuel and make money.

At least then paying tax would be fun :rock:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom