Mercedes confirm Scrappage Participation

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
You just know the dealer is going to add £2000 to whatever you want to buy, in one form or another. But nice to see though.

but what would happen if someone turned up in pristine example of one of their old cars would they have to scrap it by law ?

Don't know the answer to that, but I would like to think that that owner would be talked into selling it privately for more than the £2k

My brother just purchased a new B class and he got a 15% discount without any effort. I suspect MB are struggling to sell new cars.

is the £2000 a government subsidy? if it is then someone taking a car in for px thats over 10years old should get the real value of the car plus the £2000 shouldn't they?

is the £2000 a government subsidy? if it is then someone taking a car in for px thats over 10years old should get the real value of the car plus the £2000 shouldn't they?

It's a subsidy off the sale price and includes the trade in value, so no.

Other than for the Smart range it's meaningless for Mercedes. Take an A-Class with list price of £15k.
One would achieve better than £2k discount without trying.

Will be interesting to see if people still do get enhanced discounts though - after all they have got extra money to give the customers (i.e. the extra £1K) so I'm sure realistically they will be competing to some degree with other dealers and will want to use this extra discount to give people the cars for cheaper rather than just pocketing the extra £1,000!

After all they aren't going to want to potentially miss out on sales! :confused:

I have a lovely R reg ford mondeo for sale, clutch has gone, no tax or MOT, anyone offer £1800????

I have a lovely R reg ford mondeo for sale, clutch has gone, no tax or MOT, anyone offer £1800????

Give us the name & address of the person that pays you £1800 and I'll send the men in white jackets over to him ;)

You have to have been the registered keeper of the old car for 12 months to get the scrappage allowance!

You have to have been the registered keeper of the old car for 12 months to get the scrappage allowance!

I've been looking into how I can use this goverment thing to get more money and it turns out you don't need an MOT just stick the old car on SORN and they'll accept it.

Also as far as I know you don't need to own the car for 12 months, the current owner needs to have owned the car for 12 months. So it would appear it doesn't matter who has owned the car.

I've been looking into how I can use this goverment thing to get more money and it turns out you don't need an MOT just stick the old car on SORN and they'll accept it.

Also as far as I know you don't need to own the car for 12 months, the current owner needs to have owned the car for 12 months. So it would appear it doesn't matter who has owned the car.

Hard to be 100% sure when the Government is yet to issue a formal doc (there is a website due any day now) BUT the doc issued so far says:

Car being scrapped must be legal - i.e. Either a) curent MOT and insured and taxed or b) SORN.

The old car's reg'd keeper for the past 12 months or greater must match the new car's reg'd keeper (i.e. you can't use your son's/mate's/local farmer's old banger to get yourself £2,000 off). DVLA will be used to process the paperwork on the old car (i.e. validate ownership, legality and take evidence of being scrapped) and to issue the £1,000 Government (taxpayer!) money. Source for this is the BBC budget briefing doc.

I guess we will know for certain soon enough...
]
Make sense really otherwise we could all cruise various chav estates and pick up a burnt out wreck for the discount (and then put it back afterwards)!

Depending on the scrap process, it could mean an excellent supply of used spares to keep less rusty classics going!

My brother just purchased a new B class and he got a 15% discount without any effort. I suspect MB are struggling to sell new cars.

You could negotiate the dscount and then......... throw in the fact you want the scapppage allowance. :cool:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom