Mercedes Consumables

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Waratah

Car
C Class 220
Hi,

Where should I be shopping for consumables such as air filters, oil filters Air con filters etc for the best deals?

Start by calling your local MB dealer, as it's been known for them to be competetive.

There is also: euromercwebstore

and your local motorfactor, GSF for example.

Best to stick to OEM or MB parts. Take a look at the Eurocarparts site or this forum for brands Mercedes use. e.g. ATE, Textar, Zimmerman, Bosch, Hella, Pierburg,NGK, Varta ,Bilstein, Boge,Sachs, Mann,Hengst, Knecht, Lemforder, Fuchs etc ,etc.

The OEM parts at Euro Car Parts are identified as such (used to be a zero at the end of the part number and probably still is). Their prices are much closer to MB dealer prices than those of their non-OEM parts. If you can get 15% off at a dealer -- as you often can -- then the dealer price may be cheaper.

I just got all mine from the local motor factors mostly Fram all fitted a treat.

Dont forget mb dont make filters and so long as you stick with a decent name brand you will be fine.

Def worth trying dealer as i got my gearbox filters from them £7.50 each, cheaper than copy ones from e bay:D

Lynall

MB are normally very competetive for consumable stuff like filters/brake parts etc I find.

They're closer to me and more convenient than any ECP/GSF etc, and even if there was a slight difference in price (10/20%) I'd rather be certain of the quality and have MB dealer receipts in my history file anyway. Plus there's much less chance of getting the wrong parts as they're supplied according to your VIN and IIRC you get 2-years warranty on genuine parts also.

I'd always advocate checking Euromerc as Wemorgan has said, Nick has saved me and many other members an absolute fortune on some stuff :cool:

Will

MB are normally very competetive for consumable stuff like filters/brake parts etc I find.

Will

Interesting isn't it? Competitive for filters/(some) brake parts but wildly expensive for fluids - oil/gearbox, even windscreen wash etc.

As they don't make ANY of these items, I wonder why the big discrepancy?

Perhaps its the "fear factor" of HAVING to use MB fluids or the world will end (even though all the fluids have a MBxx.xxx standard which makes them quite easy to find....). Any service or parts desk can print off the fluid spce sheet against the VIN for the car.

Just find the spec for the oil and get a cheaper brand as they are all the same. I work for a company whom brands its own oil at a 800% mark up, it is only Shell oil which is widely available to our customers if only they took the time to look.
Money makes the world go round......the world go round........the world go round.

I was quoted about 230 pounds from the dealer on the weekend for front Brakes, Pads and sensors for my 98 C240 Estate (thats just supplied). One trip to GSF later, I emerged with Brembo disks and pads for 100 pounds all in. The sensors were also a pound each, compared to 5 pounds from the dealers. It's all about buyer beware :)

Another handy place is Costco .

I use Castrol GTX High Mileage in my everyday cars which is something like £20 for a 4 litre bottle in Halfords and most other places - Costco sell it for about £10 +VAT a bottle .

A good saving when the 500 needs 8 litres for an oil change .

I was quoted about 230 pounds from the dealer on the weekend for front Brakes, Pads and sensors for my 98 C240 Estate (thats just supplied). One trip to GSF later, I emerged with Brembo disks and pads for 100 pounds all in. The sensors were also a pound each, compared to 5 pounds from the dealers. It's all about buyer beware :)

I wonder if MB have quoted for the right bits?

Reason I ask is that when I changed all the discs/pads on my old W202 (230K Sport), MB were cheaper than GSF (not kidding!)

I think the discs were about £20/30 each and similar for the pads, probably about £100 as you say.

Will

I tend to shop around each time .

Having said that , I've always ended up using ECP for brake parts , so for these items I just go straight there . There's not always a lot in it price wise but I can get genuine ATE discs , pads , sensors and fluid . From Mercedes , the discs may or may not be ATE , the pads usually are Textar ( which I'm not keen on as they seem to be so hard they almost wear the discs down before they wear down themselves ) .

Did all the brakes on the W126 earlier this year for just under £200 .

The many problems you see on here regarding the heating duo-valves and clogged radiators makes me glad I use the original ph neutral coolant from mercedes.

In 169,000 miles the car is still on original items no problem.

Thanks for all the responses, checked out m local MB dealer and they quoted £22.00ish incl VAT for the Air Con filter - happy days:D

The many problems you see on here regarding the heating duo-valves and clogged radiators makes me glad I use the original ph neutral coolant from mercedes.

In 169,000 miles the car is still on original items no problem.

There are 2 brands in our local motor factors that meet the MB spec for coolant (MB don't make coolant either....).

(I agree that the right spec must be used - and Merc keep revising the spec for many cars/fluids so the latest sheet should always be used - but that doesn't mean "dealer-only").

I wonder if MB have quoted for the right bits?

Reason I ask is that when I changed all the discs/pads on my old W202 (230K Sport), MB were cheaper than GSF (not kidding!)

I think the discs were about £20/30 each and similar for the pads, probably about £100 as you say.

Will

I thought the same Will, as 3 months prior I had an inkling about changing the disks and pads and decided to go to my dealer to check the prices. Sure enough about 130 pounds or so. After getting the silly high price, i rang another MB dealer to check up. Both worked off my chassis number and quoted me the price i mentioned, so I can only assume that there has been a price hike.

Still, i'm happy with the price and the brembo setup, plenty of progressive bite and i feel much more confident with the car now :)

Thanks for all the responses, checked out m local MB dealer and they quoted £22.00ish incl VAT for the Air Con filter - happy days:D

I paid £19.00 finally from MB dealer in Chelmsford. I Asked for 15% discount but they only gave me 10%. Better than nothing:D

Also bought a Comma Air Con cleaner kit from Halfords, will fit this weekend and hopefully smells will be gone!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom