Mercedes Cracked Wheels.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Mine was my daily drive, about 9k miles a year.
I had a set of winter wheels but they were Porsche as well.
I don't remember talk on that forum of cracked wheels. It certainly wasn't common.
They are possibly better quality because the expectation is that they wouldn't be driven with sympathy.
We are told that replicas are a bad idea because they do not get the development that oem wheels get and they are likely to deform and crack.
If the originals crack what is the disadvantage of buying good quality replicas?

Regards the replica wheel issue I guess you’ve pretty much answered your own question :)

I still think you’ll find most Porsche sports cars like Boxsters/911s etc tend to be driven with a little more sympathy to road surface than larger Mercs - and probably do cover lower annual mileages too. My 911 scrapes on most speed bumps near me at anything more than walking pace and I only use it occasionally. My E55 is a year newer and has more than twice the mileage of the 911, gets driven all year round and taken anywhere. Indeed with the airmatic suspension you really don’t notice bumps and small potholes as much either! :thumb:

Another charge of attempted murder Dr Z, this time 38 000 kms on an E55 AMG less then 10 000 after your nice engine seals let bucket loads of water into the oil.

The nice spare in the AMG isn't, so it's alright, we'll just rent a trailer and get the trusty Holden to haul it.

I own a SL 63 AMG Travelling back through France to the UK on a French motorway we hit an expansion joint for one of the bridges and we’ve cracked all four alloys. The other sports cars with this at the time were Porsches and Jaguars none of which had any problems, The car should be capable of travelling on the motorway and dealing with these expansion joints we didn’t think much about it until the tire started to go down. The tyres have no damage at all but the wheels are all written off Mercedes or saying this is not a warranty claim and the bill is £5800. Does anyone have any experience of a successful claim in the UK.

Feel for you!

I would say no; UK = stiff upper lip, US = Let's get after them. I know you are looking for UK examples but in the meantime try the US sites for Class Action Law Suits. I think the E55 is king in this regard.

Feel for you!

I would say no; UK = stiff upper lip, US = Let's get after them. I know you are looking for UK examples but in the meantime try the US sites for Class Action Law Suits. I think the E55 is king in this regard.

This is true.
Its all about litigation in the USA and MB bend over backwards to keep the US happy with extended warranties on parts that UK owners will not and do not get..
I'd say you have little chance of recompense in the UK. MB alloys are frankly a disgrace for quality.

Had a quote to replace my 19x8-5j seven spoke amg n/s front alloy at dealers yesterday, supplied and fitted £816. Sounds a bit excessive.

Unfortunately that is the going rate, hence why I've just changed to non AMG wheels having suffered 3 cracks, seems like we have the same wheels, my rears are the ones that cracked, fronts are OK

Can't find the thread now, but someone posted here recently about his car mounting the pavement and crashing following a blowout resulting from a cracked alloy wheel, and that MB initially blamed a pot hole, but eventually agreed to replace the entire car.

i have a bill for 2x rear wheels in the history of my e55k and one of the front wheels has been welded at some point in the past, They are getting a little tired looking and i was thinking about getting them refurbed

But i think i will just get a set of New Aftermarket wheels tbh rather than getting the Originals done i dont like driving on repaired wheel really.

IMG_20181014_093908-648x486.jpg IMG_20181014_094041-648x486.jpg
My Cracked Wheel.
Decided to replace with new, and get this welded and keep for spare.
They are expensive but i suppose the dealers price includes labour, balance and fitting, and knowing their labour charges it's perhaps not too surprising.

Last edited:
As I am a new member and not reached 30 posts, could someone kindly PM triumphboy and point him in this direction, as he has a wanted thread for a pair of new wheels, although not the same as these he might be interested in a full set with virtually new front tyres, also he is only down the road.

Thanks in advance

View attachment 80518 View attachment 80519
My Cracked Wheel.
Decided to replace with new, and get this welded and keep for spare.
They are expensive but i suppose the dealers price includes labour, balance and fitting, and knowing their labour charges it's perhaps not too surprising.
Yes they are expensive, I kissed a kerb with my offside front, not too much damage.

Cost to replace inc VAT around £1000 each - yikes!

It’s not just the cost with many cars there is no means of jacking and removing wheels plus most refurb companies want you to just take the wheel in.

Robin

I guess the questions would be,

Anybody had a similar crack in these Merc wheels that didn't repair weld successfully?

How many locations will this tend to occur on per wheel...? Are there typical locations that should be periodically checked?

Well I have had two on each wheel so far all welded ok. All have been on the difficult to see inner rim which is the highest stress point due to the huge offsets that are run these days on wide rims. Only wat to inspect properly is to take them off periodically

Got mine Tig welded at a small local metal fabricators, left it with him for two hours, £35 well pleased.IMG_20181102_152543-1296x972.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom