Mercedes CRD 2.7L in Jeep Grand Cherokee

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sjgault

Car
Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo
The Mercedes dealer repaired the leaking number 3 fuel injector on a Jeep Grand Cherokee Loredo 2.7 CRD that they had fixed before and this time evidently stripped the bolt. I was notified they are doing an insert and got some engineering shop to come do it. They said they refitted the seals on all 5 fuel injectors. They said they test drove the car twice after that and say the water pump packed up afterwards. They now want R6,360 to replace it. Is there anything they could have done with the head or otherwise that could cause the water pump to fail, perhaps when drilling or tapping the bolt hole?

Extremely unlikely unless they removed the head- which I assume they didn't do.
Here's a video which shows the position of the pump and whats involved in changing it- ps get the thermostat renewed at the same time and associated hoses and any of these belt idler pulleys if their bearings are a bit worn. Half the labour is getting at these things!
[YOUTUBE HD]XJ2x9ZsX94k[/YOUTUBE HD]

Count yourself lucky the water pump went when it did,
in the garage, and not out on the open road where it could cause damage to the engine
and leave you stranded with recovery costs and the inconvenience delaying your journey.

Check my signature for the insert repair procedure.

:)

Thank you

Appreciate your help.

They explained everything they did like this (spelling, grammar theirs. Note that it was sent in because fuel injector #3 leaked after they had done all 5 seals)

1.Jimmy from P.E engineers cut seats for injector number 5.
2.He renew 5 seals
3.Renew 5 inserts
4.Torque bolts and injectors
5.Vehicle was test driven for +- 200 KM and all ok.

When our technician came back from test drive he picked up that the water pump is leaking at the overflow hole.Please advise if we must go ahead with replacement of water pump so we can place an order.

Why would they have to test drive it for 200 kms around town that would take all day?

Maybe a typo? Could be 20.0 kms? They would probably need to get it up to normal running temperature.

Last edited:
Removing the head 2.7 CRD

And if they had in fact removed the head, how could they possibly have damaged the water pump?

Could they install inserts without reboring?

I thank you for your kind input.

Stephan

The insert I imagine was an in situ helicoil repair to the stripped thread for the bolt that holds the injector in place in the head. I am not sure from your description whether they went ahead and helicoiled all 5 injector retaining bolt holes or not? Those bolt holes do run quite close to the water passages in the head so I guess its possible some damage was done there which might have precipitated water pump failure but without a close exam of the faulty pump seal impossible to know. It may simply be co-incidence and that the water pump was already on its way out.

R6360 is around £300 which is probably about right for Mercedes rates

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom