Mercedes current and previous. Which do you prefer?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RSTurbo50

Car
W212 E250 CDi AMG Sport
I have to say I'm pretty disappointed by the current Mercedes range in terms of styling. The only current model I like is the C Class Saloon AMG Sport model, A Class and CLS AMG Sport. The new E Class Sport is growing on me but I still think the previous face lifted E Class is smarter. The new C Class coupe looks too soft and the previous C Class coupe had nicer aggressive lines.

Other models like the CLS And CLA shooting brake models are ugly. As for the GLA, GLC, GLE and GLS they are hideous. The current SL isn't a patch on the previous model and the S Class is too big.

I know models take a while to get used to but I think BMW are producing nicer looking cars.

Definitely prefer older Mercedes to current crop, hence the Lexus..

I like the W124 and 190 era cars a lot, but i also think the shooting brake cars are amazing looking. I think that the (biased) 2014 to 2016 W212 E class cars look great too.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Anything with a floating screen makes me shake my head

rpc6326.jpg

Why would anyone want such a fragile, and rapidly outdated thing, sat above the dashboard?

integrate it. And make it replaceable / upgradeable in five years time.

Last edited:
The accountants have taken over MB again :fail :ban: :mad:

The older cars had the reputation of being built like a bank vault. They were instantly recognisable and carried an image of quality and gravitas. I like them and looked out for a good W202 because it looked like a proper Mercedes-Benz.
The current ones are hideous. Object lessons in misapplied decoration, they have abandoned all that makes a Mercedes-Benz for flash and trash. A wrong turn like the A class was, one gets the impression that they will soon be rebranded as "Merc" in order to be cool and appeal to a "wider audience"

Whatever happened to "The best or nothing"?

Cars like the facelift W211 Sport models, the W209 CLK Sport.....they look elegant and stylish. The previous E Class Facelift sport model was one of the nicest cars which resembled Mercedes of old with its rugged looks...

I was looking at the new C Class coupe the other day and I couldn't believe how ugly and soft it looked...

The W204 facelift AMG Sport Plus saloons looked great especially in white. I'm actually considering one as my next car.

I have to say I tend to prefer the older models. E-Class high point for me was the series which ran from 2002 to 2008. I know build quality took a dip in the early 2000s but design-wise this was the best IMHO. A 2006 ish AMG E Class saloon is a great looking car.

I adore the lines of my 209 CLK Sport Convertible. It doesn't look modern by any means, but as a piece of well-resolved design it is perfectly proportioned to my eyes. Later incarnations are our of proportion and often need 20" wheels to look half reasonable (which then ruins the ride).

Going back further, I still love the W124. Never liked the W123 even though I grew up with them at home (old man had a 280E and a 230TE in the late 70s early 80s.

New ones are - for me at least - too flash in the main. That said I do rather like the look of the new C class convertible...

The latest generation of Mercedes are designed to appeal more to Far East sensibilities- cos that's where the new money is. They share the same curves and intricate decoration.
RUS0319-Museum,-House-In-Former-Japanese-Government-Building-Yuzhno-Sakhalinsk-Sakhalin-Island,-Russian-Far-East.%7C13743.jpg

We are subconsciously influenced by our surroundings more than we think. Older Mercedes appeal to those who are more Bauhaus than Beijing
Bauhaus_Dessau-001.jpg

rpc6326.jpg

Why would anyone want such a fragile, and rapidly outdated thing, sat above the dashboard?

integrate it. And make it replaceable / upgradeable in five years time.

It's gone in the facelift model out next year.

I think they should offer two body styles for the same car, one for the Asians and one for the Euros and North Americans. Then let the Asians decide what version they want.
Either that or poach the VAG Group's design team - after all they sell more in China than Mercedes do.

I've moved over to Audi this time to replace the E after 6 straight MB's.

I just didn't like the new E (externally) and fancied a change.

The restricted colour choice of MB, internal and external was one of the deciding factors for me.

I still love our SL though and I can't see that going any time in the near future.

New mercs for me all the time please.

It seems we're the odd ones out here Peter. ;)

I always like the latest models. Move with the times. As with most things in life (I urge you all to go and look at some 60/70/80's family photographs. Hair styles, dress sense etc :doh:)

It's natural for things to change, evolve.

I adored my Mondeo ST220 but I'd not have it back if you paid me.

Regarding BMW the 3 series shape seems to have been the same for way too long. (Albeit with a few very minor face lifts)

So yes, new cars all the way for me. :thumb:

(However, I must confess to having no taste whatsoever. Even an E type jag does absolutely nothing for me.)

Last edited by a moderator:
I have to say I'm pretty disappointed by the current Mercedes range in terms of styling. The only current model I like is the C Class Saloon AMG Sport model, A Class and CLS AMG Sport. The new E Class Sport is growing on me but I still think the previous face lifted E Class is smarter. The new C Class coupe looks too soft and the previous C Class coupe had nicer aggressive lines.

Other models like the CLS And CLA shooting brake models are ugly. As for the GLA, GLC, GLE and GLS they are hideous. The current SL isn't a patch on the previous model and the S Class is too big.

I know models take a while to get used to but I think BMW are producing nicer looking cars.

I love the AMG GT's, the older SL's , the SLS, and have always preferred the W164 ML.

My only gripe with new cars is the ride. It might be mostly good compared to it's contemporaries but it's poor in absolute terms for the small to mid range cars. The ride is hard because MB follow fashion trends the same as everyone else. They just want to sell cars to young impressionable buyers. In retirement I'd be happy with something as small as an A class but they don't offer a version that rides properly on our roads so its completely ruled out. If I want a car of that size I will have to buy something else. If we are stuck with all small to medium cars having a firm ride, my limited experience suggests BMW do a better job of it.

I bought the new E Class because I thought Mercedes had finally come out with a good design. I did consider the new 5 Series, but I was driving the previous model, and couldn't really see much change from that. So I like the new design, although I do find it hard to spot the difference between a C and an E at a quick glance.

I do agree the colour choice needs drastic improvement. When they have so few colours on the E Class, why offer two silvers? Or a Designo version of Selenite? Is that an admission that the normal Selenite is very tired?

I like new Mercedes, so I'm with Ant and Peter. That said, I like old Mercedes too, and I also like Mercedes from the period in between.

Regardless of my own subjective tastes, buying decisions, and the cars sat on the drive, I wouldn't describe cars belonging to fellow members (or anyone else) as being hideous.

Mercedes needs to sell cars to survive and prosper, so it will design cars which it thinks are most likely to sell profitably and in volume.

Mercedes-Benz is dead, long live Mercedes-Benz!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom