Mercedes D320 CDI issue

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dorsetway

Car
Mercedes 320d avangarde
Hi all, am new to this forum but have owned a d320 CDI Avant-garde auto for a year now. It's a 55 plate with 86k miles on the clock. Nice clean car but I need some advice please ?

Every now and then I get a strange response to heavy foot on the accelerator. 3 times I have put my foot down at low speed and got a triple surge of "kangeroo-ing" before settling down. Once under a heavy footed "kick down" the car bucked hard twice and felt like the gearbox had given up, but then it settled down quickly. If I am not heavy footed it pulls like a train !
The gearbox was flushed 2 years ago.
I also notice at certain speeds a bit of a lag when I out of my foot down, so I don't really know if this is a) gearbox issue, b) T convertor on its way, c) the fuel. Injectors gummed up, or d) something's wrong with the accelerator sensor (is it fly by wire?).
I don't do many miles most weeks and only use the good diesel unless I am going on a long journey.
Any ideas (and sorry in advance if this has been covered before !)
Cheers. :thumb:

If a fuel filter change doesn't make a difference, you'll need a Star diagnostic session, I reckon.

I would definitely get it on a star machine. I have one and im based in Poole if that's any help.
Your car is getting to the millage where the electrical transfer plate in the gear box is due to fail, not a massive job if you are willing to get dirty. I did it on my E320 and my auto vito on my drive.

Last edited:
I would definitely get it on a star machine. I have one and im based in Poole if that's any help.
Your car is getting to the millage where the electrical transfer plate in the gear box is due to fail, not a massive job if you are willing to get dirty. I did it on my E320 and my auto vito on my drive.
Thanks, sounds like it needs a Star check then. What does it usually cost to have it done ? Btw I live in Wimborne.

Thanks, sounds like it needs a Star check then. What does it usually cost to have it done ? Btw I live in Wimborne.

Don't bother with the dealer, go to StarTech on the Creekmoor Industrial Estate behind Makro. Book your car in and a Star test will be far cheaper than dealer price.

Home | Star Tech service centre Poole

Edit...........even better reading post #3 above. Got to be worth a drink.

Can you send me a private message or register with the forum so I can send you my number.
I'll read codes and give you full access to star to help diagnose you fault. Plus a free reset of any current codes after you have fixed it. £20

Last edited:
Sounds great thanks, but I read that I can't send a pm until I have posted 30 times so I guess I need to get cracking ! I will pm you soon....... cheers mate

Hi Brian (I assume) looks like neither of us can use pm at the moment ? How about we agree a time / day and I will meet you at some well know place in Poole / Oakdale / C.Heath etc and then go to yours ? Cheers

Your car is getting to the millage where the electrical transfer plate in the gear box is due to fail.

Mine lasted until around 195k

Many thanks to Ady for coming around to carry out a Star test..
No gearbox woes came up, just the O2 Sensor !
Happy days !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom